[comp.sys.mac] HELP!!! Initializing Mac II internal hard disk

fry@huma1.UUCP (07/07/87)

   After having my Mac II for two weeks I finally dug up a monochrome
screen to borrow for a month or so until my color comes.  My problem
deals with initializing the internal 40 meg hard disk.  Every time I run
the HD Setup application (vesion 1.3) it claims to not see the SCSI ID 0
drive (or any drive, for that matter).  But the lights on the drive
flash at startup and the head bounces around a lot, indicating that at
least something is working.  The shareware SCSI cdev for the control panel sees
SCSI ID 0 and if I click on UPDATE, the drive's lights flash again.  All
the cables seem okay inside.
   Does anyone know of any tricks that can force the installer to see
the drive.  Command-shift-option or something?  Press 'esc' and spin
around clockwise 3 times with my tongue stuck out?
   I'd hate to think I have to take it back to the dealer now that
I've finally got a screen.

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138

bc@apple.UUCP (07/07/87)

In article <2477@husc6.UUCP>, fry@huma1.HARVARD.EDU (David Fry) writes:

>    After having my Mac II for two weeks I finally dug up a monochrome
> screen to borrow for a month or so until my color comes.  My problem
> deals with initializing the internal 40 meg hard disk.  Every time I run
> the HD Setup application (vesion 1.3) it claims to not see the SCSI ID 0

Go to your dealer with the disk with HD Setup, and ask him to copy
version 1.4 onto it. Throw away version 1.3.

Version 1.4 will make you very happy.

Note: If you have an SE, GET version 1.4, boot from the floppy, then
click the "Update" button to update your SCSI drivers. No data that
hasn't already been lost will be damaged, and the upgrade takes
between 3 and 5 seconds to run.

I have no idea if Mac+ users should need the version 1.4.............bc
(DISCLAIM: I happen to be working for Apple, and this happens to be
the Official Truth. Share and Enjoy.)