[comp.sys.mac] Dear Apple: Finder feature wanted

jdm@ut-ngp.UUCP (06/18/87)

	Have you ever wondered how many bytes are contained in each of
your folders? Now I know you can use the get-info boxes, but why doesn't
display by Size report this? Presumably it would take time for the finder
to search through the directory to get the up-to-date size, but it would
be nice if this was at least an option.
	I'd like a menu item under special that turns on true size display,
then I could see the size of all by folders at once.
How about it apple?
							Jim Meiss
							jdm@ut-ngp.UTEXAS.EDU

dgold@apple.UUCP (06/20/87)

In article <5449@ut-ngp.UUCP> jdm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Jim Meiss) writes:
>	Have you ever wondered how many bytes are contained in each of
>your folders? Now I know you can use the get-info boxes, but why doesn't
>display by Size report this? Presumably it would take time for the finder
>to search through the directory to get the up-to-date size, but it would
>be nice if this was at least an option.

Remember, it would not only have to look in the folder, but in any folders
inside, and any folders inside them, and...

This is why that feature was removed when HFS support was added, and is
only available via Get Info (i.e., requires a concious choice).  Try doing
Get Info on a deeply nested hierarchy and you'll see why the Finder doesn't
do this.
--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (06/20/87)

In article <5449@ut-ngp.UUCP> jdm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Jim Meiss) writes:

>	Have you ever wondered how many bytes are contained in each of
>your folders? Now I know you can use the get-info boxes, but why doesn't
>display by Size report this? Presumably it would take time for the finder
>to search through the directory to get the up-to-date size, but it would
>be nice if this was at least an option.
>	I'd like a menu item under special that turns on true size display,
>then I could see the size of all by folders at once.
>How about it apple?
>							Jim Meiss
>							jdm@ut-ngp.UTEXAS.EDU

   If the directory the folder is contained in is view by name, the size will
be displayed when the folder is opened. Don't ask me why it bothers it just
does. Personally, I think each folder should have how much space it consumes
available in its window since that is often more useful then the space on
the disk itself.
  Pierce Wetter
  Disclaimer: 1. If you're dumb enough to beleive me that's your problem.
              2. My opinion has nothing to do with my summer internship at
                 Apple.
muiraviv    Da secret woird.
The three laws of thermodynamics:

The First Law:	You can't get anything without working for it.
The Second Law:	The most you can accomplish by working is to break
		even.
The Third Law:	You can only break even at absolute zero.

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu

lonetto@phri.UUCP (Michael Lonetto) (06/27/87)

In article <5449@ut-ngp.UUCP> jdm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Jim Meiss) writes:

>	I'd like a menu item under special that turns on true size display,
>then I could see the size of all by folders at once.
>How about it apple?
>							Jim Meiss
>							jdm@ut-ngp.UTEXAS.EDU

Yes PLEASE!  This would really help keep track of where all that hard
disk space is going.  My :user folder has 25 folders in it.  I like to
check sizes from time to time before doing backups to see if anything
is getting out of hand (usually an indication of saving too many intermediate
forms of a project).  Doing Select All; Get Info works, but isn't the most
convenient way to go through it.

Michael Lonetto    UUCP:(allegra!phri!lonetto)
USMAIL: Public Health Research Institute, 455 1st Ave, NY, NY 10016

stevew@ut-sally.UUCP (Steve Williams) (06/28/87)

Hi,

I'm new to the net, but not the Mac.  One thing that has always irked me
about the Finder on a hard disk system is the insistence on emptying the
trash at every application launch.  I had hoped that HFS would fix this,
but no, everytime you change to another application, there goes your trash.

What I propose is another flag in the LAYO resource that controls wheter
the trash auto-dumps.  Floppies SHOULD dump, but it is not always necessary
on a 20M hard disk.

Steve Williams
{seismo!gatech!ihnp4}!udownSutickets s

steele@unc.cs.unc.edu (Oliver Steele) (06/30/87)

In article <8351@ut-sally.UUCP> stevew@ut-sally.UUCP (Steve Williams) writes:

>I'm new to the net, but not the Mac.  One thing that has always irked me
>about the Finder on a hard disk system is the insistence on emptying the
>trash at every application launch.  I had hoped that HFS would fix this,
>but no, everytime you change to another application, there goes your trash.
>
>What I propose is another flag in the LAYO resource that controls wheter
>the trash auto-dumps.  Floppies SHOULD dump, but it is not always necessary
>on a 20M hard disk.

Whether trash should be emptied depends only indirectly on whether you're
running a floppy or a hd.  The two direct questions are (1) will I need
the space used by this file before I get back to the finder again, and (2)
do I want the next person who gets foo's hands on this [hard] disk to be
able to pull my file out of the trash.  On a hd you're less likely to need
the space, but sometimes you will and often on a floppy you won't
(although this is less and less likely as System/Finder->800K :-) I'll
ignore (2).

The way to get around (1) is to make the concepts "Trash", "Throw a file
in the Trash" and the "Empty the Trash" part of the File Manager instead
of just part of the Finder interface to the File Manager (this falls under
the category of making the internal data structures parallel the user
model).  "creat", "allocate", and anything that needs more disk space
could reclaim the space used by a file and delete it from a real "Trash"
directory under HFS.  Likewise, "delete" could move the file into
"Trash".  Note that this is exactly what happens when you're in the
finder from the user's viewpoint; making "Trash" a real folder and moving
the actions that use it into the File Manager just maintain the
illusion consistently across applications.

I don't expect Apple to make the above change.  Although I don't see
anything wrong with it, and would like to see it too, it's a rather major
change, doesn't solve a very major problem, and might have unexpected
repercussions.

Oliver Steele				  ...!{decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!unc!steele
							steele%unc@mcnc.org

	"They're directly beneath us, Moriarty.  Release the piano!"

yossie@nsta.UUCP (Yossie Silverman ) (06/30/87)

I too think the trash can should be a folder;  This would make life very easy
when VERY large capacity WORM storage devices come out.  Just imagin the garbage
can is a very large folder which contains anything you ever threw out (there
are probably some problems assosiated with duplicate names but I leave that to
the software designer to solve! :-)  Since the disk has an almost unlimited
capacity (how large are current WORM disks?  I seem to recall numbers in the
gigabyte range and maybe more)  You could fill it till it was almost full and
then simply copy the stuff you want to keep to a new WORM disk (after all, they
are just cheep pieces of plastic, no?) and the garbage would be literally
thrown out (and recycled;  show me a mac garbage can that can recycle its
contents! :-)

Yossie

I dont have a .signature file in which I dont keep a disclaimer because (a) I
am lazy and (b) no one cares what I have to say anyway.

BTW,  What did the Caspian sea?

socha@drivax.UUCP (07/08/87)

In article <8351@ut-sally.UUCP> stevew@ut-sally.UUCP (Steve Williams) writes:
>I'm new to the net, but not the Mac.  One thing that has always irked me
>about the Finder on a hard disk system is the insistence on emptying the
>trash at every application launch.

Poor (wo)man's solution:

Create a folder called  "TRASH" (or whatever) and instead of putting
stuff in the real one put it in the folder and Trash it later!

--
UUCP:...!amdahl!drivax!socha                                      WAT Iron'75
"Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler."  A. Einstein