[comp.sys.mac] Mac SE running IBM

msodos@megatest.UUCP (Marty Sodos) (06/26/87)

Has anyone seen a card yet for the SE's slot that makes it IBM compatible?
Anyone know who's working on thedm and when they're due out?

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (06/29/87)

In article <1548@megatest.UUCP> msodos@megatest.UUCP (Marty Sodos) writes:

>Has anyone seen a card yet for the SE's slot that makes it IBM compatible?
>Anyone know who's working on thedm and when they're due out?

AST Research has announced one.  You can find their address and phone
number in any recent MacWorld or MacUser.
Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:   :   :

dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) (06/29/87)

In article <1548@megatest.UUCP> msodos@megatest.UUCP (Marty Sodos) writes:
>Has anyone seen a card yet for the SE's slot that makes it IBM compatible?
>Anyone know who's working on thedm and when they're due out?

Depending on what you mean by "compatible," there's

1) The Apple PC drive card and PC Drive 5.25, which lets you read and write
   5.25" MS-DOS disks.
2) AST makes Mac86, an 8086 coprocessor card, to which you can also attach
   a 5.25" drive.  It will run MS-DOS programs, although not concurrently
   with Mac software (it takes over the Mac's memory).
3) For the Mac II, AST's Mac286, an 80286 coprocessor, to which you can attach
   a 5.25" drive.  Unlike Mac86, it has its own on-board memory, so you can
   use it simultaneously with Mac software, with the MS-DOS screen displayed
   in a window.  It emulates MDA, CGA, and Hercules, with color on a color
   display.
--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith

cjdb@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) (06/30/87)

In article <1202@apple.UUCP> dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) writes:
>In article <1548@megatest.UUCP> msodos@megatest.UUCP (Marty Sodos) writes:
>>Has anyone seen a card yet for the SE's slot that makes it IBM compatible?
>>Anyone know who's working on thedm and when they're due out?
>
>Depending on what you mean by "compatible," there's
>
>1) The Apple PC drive card and PC Drive 5.25, which lets you read and write
>   5.25" MS-DOS disks.
>2) AST makes Mac86, an 8086 coprocessor card, to which you can also attach
>   a 5.25" drive.  It will run MS-DOS programs, although not concurrently
>   with Mac software (it takes over the Mac's memory).
>3) For the Mac II, AST's Mac286, an 80286 coprocessor, to which you can attach
>   a 5.25" drive.  Unlike Mac86, it has its own on-board memory, so you can
>   use it simultaneously with Mac software, with the MS-DOS screen displayed
>   in a window.  It emulates MDA, CGA, and Hercules, with color on a color
>   display.
>--
>David Goldsmith
>Apple Computer, Inc.

Question: What version of DOS do these cards run? Does MS-DOS in the
above really mean MS-DOS, or PC-DOS?  Is Apple or AST licensing DOS?
What are the limitations? How well-behaved does the PC program have to
be? I mean, I find it hard to believe that I could fire up Crosstalk
XVI and have it run on an SE or Mac II. Is the main usefulness of
these things to exchange files between PC's and Mac's?

I think these products lend an extra attractiveness to SE's and Mac
II's, but unless they have things on them besides the CPU (like the
UART, for example) I can't see them just running any PC software
without a hitch.

--
Bitnet:	  	 lib.cb@uchicago.bitnet
Internet:      lib.cb@chip.uchicago.edu

dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) (07/01/87)

In article <2021@sphinx.uchicago.edu> cjdb@sphinx.UUCP (Charles Blair) writes:
>Question: What version of DOS do these cards run? Does MS-DOS in the
>above really mean MS-DOS, or PC-DOS?  Is Apple or AST licensing DOS?
>What are the limitations? How well-behaved does the PC program have to
>be? I mean, I find it hard to believe that I could fire up Crosstalk
>XVI and have it run on an SE or Mac II. Is the main usefulness of
>these things to exchange files between PC's and Mac's?

Since PC-DOS is a proprietary IBM product, only IBM can ship it.  The
boards are made and sold by AST, so AST licenses MS-DOS from Microsoft.
The boards use a ROM BIOS from Phoenix, so I assume they could
successfully run PC-DOS as well.  The classic litmus tests for PC
compatibility, Lotus 1-2-3 and Microsoft Flight Simulator, both run
fine on the boards (as you would expect with Phoenix doing the BIOS).
Most programs should work just fine, except those that rely on
extra hardware which isn't present on the card.  Printing is supported,
as is use of the Macintosh mouse emulating a Microsoft mouse.  I don't
know if use of a serial port for communications is supported; I sort of
doubt it.  For most PC applications, you have the basic hardware:
CPU, floppy, hard disk, mouse, display, and printer.  Unless you are
running something that needs a special card, you should be OK.
The cards were meant to run productivity software and similar applications,
not, say, laboratory instrument management.  This is where most companies
have a big investment in data.  For communications, you could run one of
the many Macintosh communications packages, which are available with many
features.  Once you had downloaded a file from a mainframe using a Mac
program, you could analyze the data with a PC program if you wanted.
--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith

korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (07/01/87)

One thing disturbs me about all the press releases and product information
I've seen on the AST 80286 board for the Mac II.  They all say that the
board will make the Mac II hercules and CGA compatible.  But with a color
Mac II why not go the added step of making it EGA compatible?  (or go all
the way to make it compatible with IBM's new graphic standard?).

The 640x480 resolution of the Mac II is equal to PGA, and is greater than
IBM's EGA resolution (with only 16 colors displayed, it's almost
indistinguishable from the 'Super EGA' standard used by the Paradise and
Vega Delux cards--a resolution supported by Pagemaker and Ventura Publisher
via MS-Windows and GEM).

Is this just plain foolishness on AST's part?  Or am I missing something here?

Peter
--
Peter "Arrgh" Korn	 			Oh when, oh when will my MacII
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU				 arrive?  Oh where, oh

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (07/06/87)

In article <2021@sphinx.uchicago.edu>, cjdb@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) writes:
> Question: What version of DOS do these cards run? Does MS-DOS in the
> above really mean MS-DOS, or PC-DOS?  Is Apple or AST licensing DOS?
> What are the limitations? How well-behaved does the PC program have to
> be? I mean, I find it hard to believe that I could fire up Crosstalk
> XVI and have it run on an SE or Mac II. Is the main usefulness of
> these things to exchange files between PC's and Mac's?
>
> I think these products lend an extra attractiveness to SE's and Mac
> II's, but unless they have things on them besides the CPU (like the
> UART, for example) I can't see them just running any PC software
> without a hitch.

They don't.

The cards have an 8086 (or 80286) processor.  I believe they convert the
Macintosh modem and printer ports to COM1: or COM2:.  Thus, any program
that specificially plays with the serial controller chip on the IBM PC, such
as CrossTalk, will not run on the Mac.

The solution, of course, is to use SmartCom.  :^)

I think that the main usefulness is to get them through the doors of companies
that already have an MS-DOS standard.  Also, I suppose, it would allow you
to use various PC programs as well as Macintosh programs.  For example, I
have yet to see an equivalent of MathCAD for the Macintosh (let me know if you
know of one), so I can use MathCAD and take information from there and paste
it into WriteNow or Word or whatever turns me on.

Of course, the price is such that it's almost cheaper for me to go out and buy
a 80286 clone than it is to buy one of these 80286 cards.
--
"It don't mean nothin'..."              Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)

shibumi@well.UUCP (07/09/87)

In article <6606@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
>The cards have an 8086 (or 80286) processor.  I believe they convert the
>Macintosh modem and printer ports to COM1: or COM2:.  Thus, any program
>that specificially plays with the serial controller chip on the IBM PC, such
>as CrossTalk, will not run on the Mac.

To quote AST, the SE card (8086) contains just the 8086, BUT the 80286 card
duplicates everything on an AT motherboard (I assume their AT) (and b4 some
wag cuts in, it does NOT include the slots).  To use the card you run an
application (which is said to be switcher compatable) on your mac.  This
application is said to do all the redirection etc.

>I think that the main usefulness is to get them through the doors of companies
>that already have an MS-DOS standard.  Also, I suppose, it would allow you
>to use various PC programs as well as Macintosh programs.  For example, I
>have yet to see an equivalent of MathCAD for the Macintosh (let me know if you
>know of one), so I can use MathCAD and take information from there and paste
>it into WriteNow or Word or whatever turns me on.

Didnt John Dvorak say this already?

--
!   Kenton A. Hoover             {hoptoad,hplabs,lll-lcc,ptsfa}!well!shibumi !
!                                 SNAIL: 1748 Clement Street                 !