[comp.sys.mac] RedRyder & Kermit

khayo@MATH.UCLA.EDU (07/04/87)

   Recently I had to send a text file to a VAX 2000 miles away.
I've been using RedRyder 9.4 and Kermit, which was the only
protocol accepted by the remote computer. I've tried this ca.
15 times - every time the transfer terminated after the 61'st
block of data (ca. 6K) with RR advising: "File transfer failed,
the current file will be closed" and the remote machine frozen.
Finally, I had to break my file up into 12 (!) parts, c.a. 4K each,
to be sure they will go through. Without going into specifics of the
system I was accessing, my question is: is there something wrong
with RR doing Kermit? (XMODEM always works like a breeze for me)
I would attribute this to phone line noise, but there were no erors
indicated, no timeouts, no long pauses - and the thing broke down
very consistently after the 61'st packet (give or take one on a
few occasions). I appreciate any hints that you could give me.

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (07/04/87)

When I've had this happen, it was due to a single character
or series of characters that were not transparent.  For
example, on a Prime, the ? character is the delete character
and is gobbled by the computer -- unless you change it first.

I would suggest you check your computer, modem, terminal
concentrator, or any other thing along the way and see if the
Control-A or any printing character combination is special.
--
	Joel West,  Palomar Software, Inc. (c/o UCSD)
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww or jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

stevew@ut-sally.UUCP (Steve Williams) (07/05/87)

In article <7014@shemp.UCLA.EDU>, khayo@MATH.UCLA.EDU writes:

>    Recently I had to send a text file to a VAX 2000 miles away.
> I've been using RedRyder 9.4 and Kermit, which was the only
> protocol accepted by the remote computer....
> ...is there something wrong with RR doing Kermit? (XMODEM always
> works like a breeze for me)

As nice as RedRyder is, Scott Watson NEVER has figured out that Kermit
file transfers are supposed to translate the Mac's carriage-returns into
carriage-return/line-feed pairs when sending.  I have been a registered
user of Red Ryder for over a year now, and my only suggestion is get a copy
of MacKermit--it does Kermit correctly and it's free.

Steve Williams

czei@osupyr.UUCP (07/07/87)

In article <7014@shemp.UCLA.EDU> khayo@MATH.UCLA.EDU (Erazm J. Behr) writes:

>   Recently I had to send a text file to a VAX 2000 miles away.
>I've been using RedRyder 9.4 and Kermit, which was the only
>protocol accepted by the remote computer. I've tried this ca.
> .....cut for brevity
>I would attribute this to phone line noise, but there were no erors
>indicated, no timeouts, no long pauses - and the thing broke down
>very consistently after the 61'st packet (give or take one on a
>few occasions). I appreciate any hints that you could give me.

I've had similar problems using kermit running on a VMS vax.  (I'm
going to assume that's what operating system your VAX was using,
you didn't say.)  I tracked the problem down to the way that VMS
kermit stores the data.  My transfers kept bombing when a file
over a certain size was sent, which just happened to be the same
size as a system parameter limiting maximum record sizes.  It would
appear that VMS kermit tries to store transfered files in one huge
record.  If you're still having problems check the record size
limitations of the operating system.

--
Michael S. Czeiszperger
College of the Arts Computer Lab

stevew@ut-sally.UUCP (Steve Williams) (07/09/87)

In article <434@osupyr.UUCP>, czei@osupyr.UUCP (Michael S Czeiszperger) writes:
> I've had similar problems using kermit running on a VMS vax.  (I'm
> going to assume that's what operating system your VAX was using,
> you didn't say.)  I tracked the problem down to the way that VMS
> kermit stores the data.  My transfers kept bombing when a file
> over a certain size was sent, which just happened to be the same
> size as a system parameter limiting maximum record sizes.  It would
> appear that VMS kermit tries to store transfered files in one huge
> record.  If you're still having problems check the record size
> limitations of the operating system.
This was in response to an earlier note about Kermit transfers with the program
Red Ryder.

Yes, the Vax is indeed trying to store everything in one record!  Red Ryder's
Kermit module is a piece of crap.   It doesn't do the proper CR -> CR/LF
mapping that is needed during Kermit text file transfers.  Since the Vax
ever sees a CR/LF pair (Kermit's end of record marker) it never puts an end
of record in the file!  It is NOT the VMS Kermit's fault.  It is NOT VMS's
fault. It is Red Ryder's fault!

As I have said before:  GET MAC KERMIT!!!!!!

Steve Williams