[comp.sys.mac] MPW and the SE

cjdb@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) (07/10/87)

I've been trying to run MPW off the internal hard drive of a Mac SE.
This might be an apparent cause and effect, but before I loaded MPW,
other people and I using the SE never had a problem booting from the
hard disk. Since installing MPW two and a half days ago, the disk has
failed 4 times, always after the MPW shell was opened (and closed).
The messages imply that the data are unreadable, though the volume
name is still identifiable. Disk repair doesn't work; reinitialization
has been the only solution. Every time the drive is intialized it
tests out fine.  Is this a hardware or a software problem? (After one
reinitialization I left MPW off the disk, used other applications, and
booted it the next day (this morning) without a problem. Loaded MPW,
opened the shell, closed it, turned it off, turned it back on again,
and presto! disk with a question mark--couldn't boot. But as I say,
_maybe_ this is apparent cause and effect.)

I'm using System 4.0 and Finder 5.4. I've also run MPW, with same
System and Finder, off an Apple hard disk attached to a Mac Plus, as
well as to the same SE.

Any ideas as to where to go from here would be greatly appreciated;
thanks.
--
Bitnet:	  	 lib.cb@uchicago.bitnet
Internet:      lib.cb@chip.uchicago.edu

In article <2050@sphinx.uchicago.edu> cjdb@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) writes:
>[...]
>I've also run MPW, with same
>System and Finder, off an Apple hard disk attached to a Mac Plus, as
>well as to the same SE.

I meant to add: "without any problems."