[comp.sys.mac] Upgrading my Mac SE: HARD DISK or RAM?

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (07/09/87)

I am considering upgrading my Mac SE (dual-floppy), possibly within the next
year, with either a hard disk or more RAM.  However, I'm not sure which is the
best route to take.

The type of software applications I run are:

Opcode's MIDIMAC Sequencer (for recording and storing my musical compositions),

Professional Composer (for creating and printing musical scores, I also export
the MIDIMAC Sequences to this format and then copy them to Prof. Comp. disk so
that I can print them and/or modify the musical notation, therefore it helps to
have both applications up and running).

Korg DW-8000 Patch Librarian (to load different patches (sounds) into my synth),

Wizardry (a game).

NOTE:  To do some of this more easily I intend to buy Switcher.

I should add that all the above programs are copy-protected so it's necessary
for me to throw in the master disk each time I start-up one of these programs.

Now for the purposes of storage, would I be better off with a hard disk, and
if so, how much memory 20 Mb, 30 or 40?  What will be the trade-offs?

Will getting an increase in RAM be more to my advantage if I buy Switcher
and just load in all my applications and start using them?

Any recommendations would be welcome.  Thanks.

						Jim Collymore

faulkner@scdpyr.UUCP (Bill Faulkner) (07/10/87)

In article <487@atux01.UUCP>, jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
> I am considering upgrading my Mac SE (dual-floppy), possibly within the next
> year, with either a hard disk or more RAM.  However, I'm not sure which is the
> best route to take.

Personally, I would go the hard disk route.  Hard disks on the SE are quite
fast, and I really like my interal hard drive on my SE.  With some of the
large programs you run, it sounds like extra memory would help if you
intend to switch back and forth between programs a lot.  If you just
occasionally switch applications, the hard disk is really the way to go
since the usual start-up and shut-down times with a hard drive are really
rather fast.

> I should add that all the above programs are copy-protected so it's necessary
> for me to throw in the master disk each time I start-up one of these programs.

This one is easy to solve.  Buy the latest version of Copy II MAC which
has a hard disk program installer.  It should be able to transfer most
applications to your hard disk.     (Mini-flame - Don't you HATE copy
protection.  It Screws up legitimate users and doesn't slow pirates down
one step.)

> Now for the purposes of storage, would I be better off with a hard disk, and
> if so, how much memory 20 Mb, 30 or 40?  What will be the trade-offs?

Depends on what you need to store on it.  My gut feelings is that your
applications and systems will take up about 5-7 Mbs of storage, so the
rest depends on the data you will keep on your system.

> Will getting an increase in RAM be more to my advantage if I buy Switcher
> and just load in all my applications and start using them?

Possibly, but it depends on how you use your applications.  If you go from
application A then to B and then to C and you are done, then switcher won't
buy you anything.  If you go from A to B to A to C to B to C to A, or
some such many times, then switcher can be a big help.
--
Bill Faulkner * NCAR (Nat'l Center for Atmospheric Research)
PO Box 3000 * Boulder, CO  80307-3000 * 303-497-1259