[comp.sys.mac] Third-party SCSI drives on Mac II?

rkh@mtune.UUCP (07/08/87)

While I realize that the machine is still not widely available,
does anyone have any experience is using an after-market SCSI
hard disk in the Mac II?  Is there any reason that such a drive
could not be used in place of the 'standard' 40 Mb drive Apple
offers in the base Mac II configuration?  Is there some Mac-specific
formatting necessary?  Does the Mac II SCSI interface differ from
the Plus such that drives for the Plus fail to work on the II?

Please reply by mail.  I will summarize if volume/interest warrants.
						Bob Halloran
UUCP: rutgers!mtune!rkh				home ph: (201)251-7514
Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM				   evenings ET
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857
Disclaimer: I am a contractor.  Any opinions stated or implied are solely
	MINE, NOT my agency's, NOT my client's.  Got it?!
Quote: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter Thompson

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (07/12/87)

In article <1110@mtune.ATT.COM> rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) writes:
>While I realize that the machine is still not widely available,
>does anyone have any experience is using an after-market SCSI
>hard disk in the Mac II?

This is a problem for many third party SCSI drives.  I have tried several
with mixed results.

Rodime S20+ (from TriMar USA) and 45M (direct from Rodime) drives both
fail with the II.  The S20+ doesn't even work with the Mac SE.  Both
TriMar and Rodime have promised new drivers but have so far failed to
deliver.

The Mirror MagNet drives (I have the 40/40 tape/disk combo) all work,
but won't boot.  I have to boot off a floppy.  They have also promised
a fix (of course) but again, I haven't received anything yet.

The Jasmine 20 hung the machine so it wouldn't boot off of anything.

I have heard that the CMS 20, 40, and 80Mb drives work well, and
lots of folks on CompuServe seem to love the support they have
gotten.

I am told that the AST-2000 works fine.

That's what I know.  Anyone else have anything to add?

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (07/13/87)

In article <2518@husc6.UUCP> stew@endor.UUCP (Stew Rubenstein) writes:
>In article <1110@mtune.ATT.COM> rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) writes:
>>While I realize that the machine is still not widely available,
>>does anyone have any experience is using an after-market SCSI
>>hard disk in the Mac II?
>The Jasmine 20 hung the machine so it wouldn't boot off of anything.
>[stuff deleted]
>That's what I know.  Anyone else have anything to add?

The Jasmine 80 seems to work just fine, but that is not surprising since
I understand they use the same drive as the Apple 80Mb upgrade.  One minor
glitch is that although the drive comes preformatted and with about 10Mb
of PD/Shareware software, the Mac-II won't recognize it.  I called
Jasmine and they said something about incompatible formats and mentioned
a fix to be available RSN (probably available by now).  The Apple HD
setup program in the Utilities folder was able to reformat it without
any problems, but the existing software was consigned to software heaven
naturally...

-Fred
--
= Drug tests; just say *NO*!
= Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA