[comp.sys.mac] hard disk security

kautz@allegra.UUCP (07/07/87)

Is there a utility that lets you subdivide a hard disk into a number
of password-accessable volumes?  I've heard of such utilities packaged
with certain hard disks, but I'd like to buy something to work with
the Apple and other brand hard disks we already own.  Any
suggestions/experiences (and any other advice about setting up a
"common use" mac) greatly appreciated.
--

---- Henry Kautz
:uucp:	allegra!kautz

Charlie_Alan_Bounds@cup.portal.com (07/10/87)

Henry Kautz writes:

> Is there a utility that lets you subdivide a hard disk into a number
> of password-accessable volumes?

FWB publishes something which sounds like it will do what you want.
It's called Hard Disk Partition.  I have never used it or even seen it
in use but I do swear by FWB's Hard Disk Util.

Charlie Bounds      Charlie@cup.portal.com

eirik@tekcrl.TEK.COM (Eirik Fuller) (07/13/87)

In article <6862@allegra.UUCP> kautz@allegra.UUCP (Henry Kautz) writes:
>Is there a utility that lets you subdivide a hard disk into a number
>of password-accessable volumes?  I've heard of such utilities packaged
>with certain hard disks, but I'd like to buy something to work with
>the Apple and other brand hard disks we already own.  Any
>suggestions/experiences (and any other advice about setting up a
>"common use" mac) greatly appreciated.

I have already posted an article about Silver Lining, so I will omit
some of the details from this one.  If you want more information, talk
to Kammerman directly.  Their phone number is (503) 626-6877, and you
might find a toll free number in one of their ads somewhere.

Someone told me that Silver Lining is the only hard disk software that
partitions disks into volumes at the driver level, where it belongs.
There may be others, but I don't know of them, and I've had no reason to
look (read that as a satisfied Kammerman customer).

Though Silver Lining used to be available only with Kammerman hard
drives, it is now being sold by itself.  If I remember correctly, and if
the information I might remember was itself correct, the price is about
$70.  A bargain, in my opinion.  I'm not sure exactly which drives it
works with, but it does work with the SE internal.  I haven't heard of
any SCSI drives for the Mac with which it doesn't work.  In addition to
passwords on its multiple volumes, it allows dynamic resizing of volumes.