[comp.sys.mac] System Error 33

rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU.UUCP (07/07/87)

I'm glad that someone else is getting that one too. I see
System Error 33 when I'm in Lightspeed Pascal sometimes and I do
something really weird, like smash the heap.

Can anyone tell us what this is? Are the new DSErrCodes documented anywhere?

Stump the Stars: what dis the "DS" in "DSErrCode" originally stand for?

		--Rich

wmcb@ecsvax.UUCP (William C. Bauldry) (07/09/87)

>Stump the Stars: what dis the "DS" in "DSErrCode" originally stand for?

	It's strange that you should ask this...
there's a little known story about the original toolbox designer's
penchant for rock and roll and a certain English group by the name
of Dire Straits... there's also this thought of D*** S*** that I've
heard a time or two (or 10^20) whilst programming...
I've got this land in Florida that I'd like to talk to you about...
hm?

cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) (07/10/87)

	I have a xerox of an early IM which has a chart entitiled:

Deep ---- Alert ID definitions

three guesses as to what four letter word starting with s and rhyming  with
'hit' is missing....

It was the first time I finally decided the mac developers weren't such a
bad bunch after all :-)

(I grew up with a system where the general purpose network error was:

	IE.NFW;  -69.  Path lost to partner   )

-ed

elwell%tut.cis.ohio-state.edu@osu-eddie.UUCP (07/10/87)

In article <3519@ecsvax.UUCP> wmcb@ecsvax.UUCP (William C. Bauldry) writes:
>>Stump the Stars: what dis the "DS" in "DSErrCode" originally stand for?
>>

>... there's also this thought of D*** S*** that I've
>heard a time or two (or 10^20) whilst programming...
>I've got this land in Florida that I'd like to talk to you about...
>hm?

Well, I dug up my ancient babylonian copy of Inside Mac (you know, the one
that talks about the "new ROMs" being version 7.0--the ones they put in the
Mac 128K).  There is a page, evidently a printout of an assembler header
file, that lists all of the values for DSErrCode.  Sure enough, the list
is headed by the comment "Deep Sh*t Error Alerts".  I can see why the
published version was switched to say "Dire Straits," but I still think the
original was more in the spirit of what you feel when you see a system bomb
while debugging...

-=-

Clayton Elwell

Arpa/CSNet:	Elwell@Ohio-State.ARPA
UUCP:		...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!elwell
Voice:		(614) 292-6546

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (07/10/87)

in article <EUwCZBy00V4IFaw0Du@andrew.cmu.edu>, rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) says:

> I'm glad that someone else is getting that one too. I see
> System Error 33 when I'm in Lightspeed Pascal sometimes and I do
> something really weird, like smash the heap.

	I too have gotten ID=33 when I overwrote the size of a heap
block That I had requested.  I have compiled the following errors, in
adition to the ones in IM's supplement A.  If you find any others,
please post them to the net.

	I have also written to apple suggesting that they release a
tech note that thouroughly lists all known error numbers and meanings.
If you really like this idea, a few more letters couldn't hurt.  The
address that I sent my letter to is:

	Macintosh Technical Notes
	c/o Apple Computer
	20525 Mariani Ave. MS 27-T
	Cupertino, CA 95014

They also have an MCI address:  MACTECH

> Stump the Stars: what dis the "DS" in "DSErrCode" originally stand for?

I have heard Dire Straits and Deep Sh*t, or is there something even earlier.
		Macintosh Error Numbers

		supplement to Appendix A

Src  	number	label         	explanation

mr	-24	CloseErr	Attempt to remove an open driver.
mr	-41			MfulErr	Memory (system heap) full.
mr	-46	VLckdErr	Volume Locked.
4FM	-47	fBsyErr	FIle is busy; one or more files are open;
			directory not empty; working directory
			control block is open.
guess	-82		hardware write protect.
mr	-89	RcvrErr	Receiver Error (serial communications).
mr	-90	BreakRecd	break received (serial communications).
mr	-110	MemAddrErr	Bad memory address.
mr	-113	MemAZErr	Address not in heap zone.
mr	-114	MemPCErr	Pointer check failed.
mr	-115	MemBCErr	Block check failed.
mr	-116	MemSCErr	Size check failed.
mr	-120	dirNFErr	Directory not found.
mr	-121	TMWDOErr	Too many working directories open.
mr	-122	BadMovErr	Attempted to move into offspring.
4FM	-123	WrgVokTypErr	Attempted HFS operation on non-HFS volume
4FM	-127	FSDSIntErr	File system internal error.
4FM	-195	AddRefFailed	AddReference failed.
4FM	-197	RmvRefFailed	RmveReference failed.
4RM	-198	resAttrErr	resource attribute does not permit operation
4RM	-199	mapReadErr	resource map does not permit operation
mr	1	DSBusErr	Bus Error.
mr	2	DSAddressErr	Address Error.
mr	3	DSIllInstErr	Illegal instruction.
mr	4	DSZeroDivErr	Attenpt to divide by zero.
mr	5	DSChkErr	Check trap.
mr	6	DSOvflowErr	Overflow Trap.
mr	7	DSPrivErr	Privilege violation.
mr	8	DSTrace Err	Trace trap.
mr	9	DSLineAErr	"A emulator" trap.
mr	10	DSLineFErr	"F emulator" trap.
mr	11	DSMiscErr	Miscellaneous hardware Execption.
mr	12	DSCoreErr	Unimplemented core routine.
mr	13	DSIRQErr	Uninstalled Interrupt.
mr	14	DSIOCoreErr	I/O core error.
mr	15	DSLoadErr	Segment Loader error.
mr	16	DSFPErr	Floating-point error.
mr	17	DSNoPackErr	Package 0 not present.
mr	18	DSNoPk1	Package 1 not present.
mr	19	DSNoPk2	Package 2 not present.
mr	20	DSNoPk3	Package 3 not present.
mr	21	DSNoPk4	Package 4 not present.
mr	22	DSNoPk5	Package 5 not present.
mr	23	DSNoPk6	Package 6 not present.
mr	24	DSNoPk7	Package 7 not present.
mr	25	DSMemFullErr	Out of memory.
mr	26	DSBadLaunch	Can't launch program (corrupted program)
mr	27	DSFSErr	File susten error
mr	28	DSStkNHeap	Stack/Heap collision.
mr	30	DSReinsert	Ask user to reinsert disk.
mr	31	DSNotTheOne	Wrong disk inserted.
turbo	32		Memory manager error.
guess	33		Memory manager block header damaged.
turbo	53		Memory manager erorr.
SE	84		Menu has been purged
turbo	99		Input/Output Check failed.
SE	32767	DSSysErr	Undifferentiated system error.

sources credits
mr	= Macintosh Revealed
SE	= System Error Handler
4FM	= FIle Manager (IM 4)
turbo	= Turbo Pascal Reference Manual
guess= My guess based on program bugs and solutions

---
William C. DenBesten          |CSNET denbeste@research1.bgsu.edu
Dept of Computer Science      |ARPA  denbeste%research1.bgsu.edu@csnet-relay
Bowling Green State University|UUCP  ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!denbeste
Bowling Green, OH 43403-0214  |
------------------------------+----------------------------------------------
There is no difference between theory and practice in theory, but there is
often a great deal of difference between theory and practice in practice.

jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (07/14/87)

In article <1212@bgsuvax.UUCP> denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) writes:
>guess	33		Memory manager block header damaged.
>guess= My guess based on program bugs and solutions

Your guess is correct.  The only place I've seen this documeneted is in the
header files supplied with IM 5.

>---
>William C. DenBesten          |CSNET denbeste@research1.bgsu.edu

Jerry Whitnell