[comp.sys.mac] Mac II Horrors, Continued

rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) (07/14/87)

I've received some responses on my problem with MAc II and external
hard disk; there's some background I've neglected to mention,
and I'll also append a summary of the responses thus far...

Mine isn't the only hard drive that fails; a colleague also
had his hard disk (also a 20SC) zapped multiple times as well.
However, a third person has been using *his* 20SC with the
Mac II for severla days now, with no problem.

After a bit of research, it seems that the only difference between
those who lost their drives and those who didn't is
that *those who got their drives nuked had used DiskExpress version 1.05
to optimize them*.

I don't know what DiskExpress did to those drives, and I don't know
how to undo the damage. Any comments would be appreciated. I know
there's a newer version, and I've ordered it, but It'll be a while coming.

Most people I got responses from suggested resetting the Parameter RAM
by various means. I'll certainly try that, but in light of my above statements,
I don't think it'll do much good. Another suggestion was
to get the latest version (1.4) of the Setup program, which should
cure the problem of my hard disk not being recognized after being formatted.
Thanks to dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa (Dave Platt)
 for passing the appropriate article to me. I'll get my hands on
a copy as soon as I can.

AS I said, I'd appreciate any help in undoing the damage that Disk
Express has done to my hard disk.

		--Rich

kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) (07/15/87)

In article <oUyVuiy00V4IAnM0aD@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

>After a bit of research, it seems that the only difference between
>those who lost their drives and those who didn't is
>that *those who got their drives nuked had used DiskExpress version 1.05

Although I can't tell you what the thing is that makes DiskExpress 1.05
a killer, but it is that for a fact on the newer harddisks. After
running DE 1.05 on my internal Mac SE drive, Disk Repair would report
an error (but I never lost files, let alone an entire harddisk). Someone
told me the problem lies in the fact that DE 1.05 doesn't update the
'second catalog' (or something like that, i'm not technical ;).

Even though it doesn't help you right now, get a hold of a later
version of DE. DE 1.06 has been out some time and friends of mine
have received their 1.1 update. Version 1.06 I've run before, after
which Disk Repair reported no errors.

Because I don't think DE can cause _physical_ disk damage, you
should try a low (I mean loooow) level formatter.