[comp.sys.mac] WARNING: DiskExpress 1.05 Dangerous

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (07/15/87)

In article <kUybWXy00V4Ih6M09z@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

>Things are really FUBAR. I did the following: configured
>my HD 20SC with just a System Folder.
> ... [deleted] ...
>I am assuming so far that this is all the result of an interaction between
>the HD SC Setup v1.3 drivers and the damage done by DiskExpress 1.05./
>I haven't figured out how to undo what DiskExpress did,, but I'll
>be getting the new drivers bhy Thursday (I hope), so I'll try again then.
>
>If anyone has had similar problems, or is interested in reproducing
>this (I really doubt it! :-), please let me know...

I think you're right that its DiskExpress's problem.  I don't have a Mac II
(yet), but I've noticed some strange interaction between DiskExpress and my
Dataframe 20.  After reading your series of messages I decided to do an
experiment:

Although I've had DiskFit for quite sometime, I've been using SuperBackup
since it has individual file restore.  Well, I decided its finally time to
join the rest of the df world in using DiskFit.  So, I did a full dump onto
floopies and while I was at it, I decided to reinitialize the df and then do
a full restore.

I had a bit of problem booting off the df, but after a bit of tinkering and
several crashes-on-boot the df booted okay.  So what did I do for the
"experiment?"

I aquired Disk First Aid with the System 4.1 distribution.  Unfortunately by
that time I had already used diskfit on my poor df.  At that time, I ran it
once or twice to see what it did but it always told me that my df20 was
   1. not an HFS volume!, and
   2. that the volume name was "(Disk with Bad Name)"
Disk First Aid now works correctly - it recognizes the right disk name and
performs a verfication and tells me the df is okay!

About two weeks ago I purchased FBW's Hard Disk Partition.  At that time I
noted to this group that I couldn't get the partitions to automount.  For
those of you unfamiliar with this package, you can designate certain
partitions to mount automaticly.  This is done via a INIT file in the system
folder.  When I first tried this two weeks ago the Mac deadlocked on the
boot sequence, presumably freezing at the time the INIT file is read in.
Well, surprise, surprise, I can now use automount volumes!

Given these experiences, I would suggest that anyone who has ever used
DiskExpress 1.05 on their hard drive do a full backup, reinitialization, and
restore of their disks.  Who knows what else DiskExpress has done.  Hope
this info helps someone...

Christopher Chow
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.253.35)                    |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-415-643-2953,  USPS:    2299 Piedmount Av, Berkeley CA 94720 |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |