[comp.sys.mac] System 4.0 and Finder 5.4

rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) (07/13/87)

I see lots of people who are using System 4.0 and Finder 5.4,
some of whom are having problems.

Pardon my obtuseness (sp), but *why*? THis system software was a
developers-only release, and was experimental to boot (no pun intended).
The released software (4.1, 5.5) should be freely available by now,
and there's no reason not to use it, even though it does still have troubles.
It's the currently supported system software.

		--Rich

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric Olson) (07/14/87)

In article <MUyBA-y00V4IUD81OM@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

>I see lots of people who are using System 4.0 and Finder 5.4,
>some of whom are having problems.
>
>Pardon my obtuseness (sp), but *why*? THis system software was a
>developers-only release, and was experimental to boot (no pun intended).
>The released software (4.1, 5.5) should be freely available by now,
>and there's no reason not to use it, even though it does still have troubles.
>It's the currently supported system software.

I use 4.1/5.5 on the SE and 4.0/5.4 on a 512Ke+SCSI+2meg.  4.0 does NOT
exhibit the problem with the low-memory global 02b6.  When I tried to use
4.1/5.5 on the 512Ke, MacTerminal stopped recognizing the L and 5 keys.
I suspect that support for the ADB keyboards is the root of this problem.

I agree that people should be using 4.1/5.5 for compatibility's sake.
I use 4.0/5.4 for sanity's sake.  It really seems much stabler.

-Eric

Eric K. Olson		olson@endor.harvard.edu		harvard!endor!olson

naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) (07/17/87)

In article <MUyBA-y00V4IUD81OM@andrew.cmu.edu>, rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

> I see lots of people who are using System 4.0 and Finder 5.4,
> some of whom are having problems.
>
> Pardon my obtuseness (sp), but *why*? THis system software was a
> developers-only release, and was experimental to boot (no pun intended).

Apple has been shipping 4.0 with the SE.  Those users (and there are
quite a number) who don't know the first thing about system
versions etc, will be running on the older, buggy software.

I think it is Apple's responsibility to announce system software
upgrades to all registered Macintosh owners by mail.  It is outrageous in
my opinion that Mac+ machines were shipped with 3.0 and SEs with
4.0, both buggy versions of the system, and no owner has been
notified.
--
Robert N. Berlinger
Supervisor of Systems Support				Compuserve: 73047,741