[comp.sys.mac] StdFile problem: an answer

howard@amdahl.amdahl.com (The Toolmaster) (07/17/87)

I got this mail reply to my StdFile problem and was asked to post it for the
benefit of all so here goes:

>Date: Fri, 17 Jul 87 09:56:27 EDT
>From: sun!harvard.harvard.edu!singer (Andrew Singer)
>To: howard@amdahl.amdahl.com
>Subject: Re: StdFile Dialog Problem and other general info

>[I tried posting this, but my news server doesn't seem to like me. Maybe you
>can post it for me...]

>In article <10254@amdahl.amdahl.com> howard@amdahl.UUCP (The Toolmaster) writes:
>>First the problem:
>>
>>I am running 4.1/5.5 on an SE/hd and I am noticing a problem occasionally
>>with StdFile dialogs.  They seem to be missing the Volume icon and name and
>>the folder popup menu above the scrolling file list.  If I click in these
>>areas (where they should be) it works.  In the case of the popup, it draws
>>the current dir and the rest of the popup with the path. If I select properly,
>>its all undrawn.  If I move off the popup, the system will leave the current
>>dir. the way it should have drawn it in the first place.  Under no circum-
>>stances have I been able to get the volume icon/name to draw in the right
>>corner.  As I said though, clicking where it should be does raise me a
>>directory.  Any clues?  This behaviour has definitely been exhibited in
>>Excel 1.04.  I think that its happened with other applications but I
>>didn't pay enough attention before to say for sure.
[Note: after some experiments I found it happens with other Applications too.]

>Are you using Switcher? Using Switcher on an SE will definitely lead to this
>kind of behavior. I traced this a while ago to a problem with GetVolInfo on
>the SE ROMs. It seems GetVolInfo refuses to return the name of the volume if
>the address you pass it in ioNamePtr is greater than MemTop. That's all well
>and good, but under Switcher MemTop is the size of your partition, not the
>address of the top of memory...

>   Jon Hueras
>   THINK Technologies, Inc.

Thanks Jon, that's the problem alright.  So much for Switcher 5.1...
(Or as the Blues Brothers would say, "Waddya want for nothing..." :-)
--
"Plan for the future because that's where you                Howard C. Simonson
    are going to spend the rest of your life." {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc}!amdahl!howard

[ The disclaimer for this message may be found in my next article ]