[comp.sys.mac] Serial printer drivers

sce@runx.ips.oz (Simon Evans) (07/10/87)

	I am involved in writing a database application for a client who
currently owns a Brother daisywheel printer and wishes to continue using
it (both to save investing money in a new printer, and to continue to have a
high standard of printing of his accounts).

	I therefore need a printer driver that will talk to the daisywheel
printer and that I can sell to client [ie I cannot just use such a driver
from a word processor that includes one unless the driver is PD].

	There is such a driver advertised in the directory of the May MacUser
(p203) from GDT Softworks, Canada, called Print-Link. Does anyone know
anything about this product (cost, efficacy etc)?

	Are there any shareware/PD drivers available that would do the job?

	If none of the above is any good, how hard is it to write a printer
driver that simply does text streaming and recognises the lPrReset,
lPrLineFeed, lPrLFSixth amd lPrPageEnd iPrDevCtl parameters?

	Finally, is it possible to simply send ASCII out through one of
the serial ports and ignore the printer manager ? (I know that this is
undesirable, but the product is a one off and the simplest possible solution
is the one desired)

	Thanks for any reviews/recommendations,
	estimates of time required or simple answers to any of the
	questions above,

		Simon Evans  (@ JAM Software)

Simon Evans 			 ISD: +61 2 90-7031 or +61 2 799-1696
c/o JAM Software Pty Ltd	 STD:  (02) 90-7031 or (02) 799-1696
27A Nowranie Street		 ACS: sce@runx.ips.oz
Summer Hill NSW  2130           UUCP: seismo!munnari!runx.ips.oz!sce
AUSTRALIA                       ARPA: munnari!runx.ips.oz!sce@SEISMO

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (07/18/87)

Writing a crude, bare-bones printer driver (such as for a daisywheel
without graphics or multiple fonts) is 3 man-months, +- a factor of 2, assuming
you know what you're doing.  If this is your first serious Macintosh
programming effort, double that, since you'll be flying without any documentation.
--
	Joel West,  Palomar Software, Inc. (c/o UCSD)
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww or jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

earleh@dartvax.UUCP (Earle R. Horton) (07/19/87)

In article <1014@runx.ips.oz>, sce@runx.ips.oz (Simon Evans) writes:

> 	                         ...how hard is it to write a printer
> driver that simply does text streaming and recognises the lPrReset,
> lPrLineFeed, lPrLFSixth amd lPrPageEnd iPrDevCtl parameters?
>
> 	Finally, is it possible to simply send ASCII out through one of
> the serial ports and ignore the printer manager ?

I have not attempted the first solution, but I assume from the dearth of
any kind of software that does this that it is extremely difficult.

The second method is easy.  In fact, it's just like writing to a file.
I can mail you some example code, or, if there is enough interest, post
it.

*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *