[comp.sys.mac] Finder Feature

rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) (06/18/87)

Something that I've run across in the past is the need for a "Move"-type
method of copying files in the Finder. That is, copy the file
from source disk to destination disk, then delete the original file.
The equivalent might be something like command-drag...

I may be off base -- is this a feature worth implementing?

		--Rich

bills@cca.UUCP (06/18/87)

Rich suggested a Finder MOVE in addition to the existing COPY. Of
course there is now a MOVE between folders, and I agree that we need
a MOVE between disks BUT a question I don't have an answer for is
when should the erase be done. For example if I move 10 files and
the 8th one has an error, do I complete the ones I can or pretend that
none got moved?

I would like the selected files in a copy to be highlighted after the
copy is completed, now they are deselected.

Also, how about being able to select files in different directories prior to
opening/printing with an application?

--
Bill Stackhouse
Cambridge, MA.

jdm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (06/19/87)

Bill Stackhouse writes:
>Also, how about being able to select files in different directories prior to
>opening/printing with an application?

	Sounds difficult, but I'll second this.
						Jim Meiss
						jdm@ut-ngp.UTEXAS.EDU

mrh@Shasta.UUCP (06/20/87)

In article <8UpxiPy00V4MNYU0j4@andrew.cmu.edu>, rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

> Something that I've run across in the past is the need for a "Move"-type
> method of copying files in the Finder. That is, copy the file
> from source disk to destination disk, then delete the original file.
> 		--Rich
   I think a minor defect in the finder interface is that when you select
a group of files for dragging to a new disk (copying), after the copy
operation is complete the original files/folders are no longer selected.
They should remain selected. If they were it would be a simple matter
of dragging them to the trash after the copy action was completed. I've
been irritated by this for a while. Anytime I organize things I do the
above action but I always have to remember what files I just copied
so I can toss them out. The comptuer should remember for me!
David Gelphman  daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (06/20/87)

In article <16885@cca.CCA.COM> bills@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Bill Stackhouse) writes:

>... how about being able to select files in different directories prior to
>opening/printing with an application?

You can drag files from different folders onto the desktop, group select them,
and select "Open" or "Print."  When you return to the Finder, you can use the
"Put away" command to stuff them back in their folders.  Not exactly what you
want, but close.
--
Julian Vrieslander    (607) 255-3594
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

rae@unicus.UUCP (Clith de T'nir a.k.a. Reid Ellis) (06/23/87)

In article <1460@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
|In article <16885@cca.CCA.COM> bills@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Bill Stackhouse) writes:
|>... how about being able to select files in different directories prior to
|>opening/printing with an application?
|
|You can drag files from different folders onto the desktop, group select them,
|and select "Open" or "Print."  When you return to the Finder, you can use the
|"Put away" command to stuff them back in their folders.  Not exactly what you
|want, but close.

Alternatively, if you have the MPW shell, you can type things like

	resedit foo ::bar disk:dir:yafile

or, to print

	macwrite -p this :that:theOther

mja@intrepid..ARPA (Michael J. Allison) (07/20/87)

	OK here is one for you. Take a folder full of files, say more than 40.
Dump them on the desk top. Close up your disk windows ( just to be tidy ).
Now select "Cleanup Desktop" from the menus. Soon most of the files will be
postioned. Now you can see the watch hands spin, as the Finder searches
in vain for empty space for the "extra files" to go.

	I like the spinning hands, but I don't plan on doing THAT again...

   Mike Allison, S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Lab
	 mja@mordor.s1.gov