[comp.sys.mac] What ever happened to DBase Mac?

graifer@net1.ucsd.edu (Dan Graifer) (07/17/87)

Late last summer I saw a demo at SDMUG by someone from Ashton-Tate of DBase
Mac.  At that time, they were predicting a January '87 release.  What ever
happened to this product?  I thought it looked pretty slick; Does anyone know
how it compares to Silv...(oops) 4th-Dimension?  Is that what happened? Did
they get caught in the same battle with Acius as the word processor people did
this winter? (I had the impression of numerous delays there as developers
scrambled to meet the rumours of competitors features.)  I know I have seen
postings by Ashton-Tate's Glendale (Mac) team on this newsgroup; Can you
guys talk?
Thanks in advance...
                              Dan Graifer
                              graifer@net1.UCSD.EDU
Disclaimer: Nobody ever listens to me anyways; Why should they start now?

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/17/87)

>Late last summer I saw a demo at SDMUG by someone from Ashton-Tate of DBase
>Mac.  At that time, they were predicting a January '87 release.  What ever
>happened to this product?  I thought it looked pretty slick; Does anyone know
>how it compares to Silv...(oops) 4th-Dimension?  Is that what happened? Did
>they get caught in the same battle with Acius as the word processor people did
>this winter?

Well, according to rumors I've had AT has had internal problems and staff
turnover, and the earliest the product might show up would be september.
I've also heard November rumored.

As to competitiveness with 4D, all reports say that 4D blow it out of the
water.  oh, well.

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

We live and learn, but not the wiser grow -- John Pomfret (1667-1703)

kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) (07/18/87)

In article <3475@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> graifer@net1.UUCP (Dan Graifer) writes:

>Late last summer I saw a demo at SDMUG by someone from Ashton-Tate of DBase
>Mac.  At that time, they were predicting a January '87 release.  What ever
>happened to this product?
>                              Dan Graifer

THESE ARE NOT FACTS FERSURE!
From interviews I had with former Apple employees (you mentioned
4th Dimension... guess what former employees) I gathered that the
sample of dBase Mac was rejected by Apple (the company was said to have
refused registration of the product) because of the "numerous bugs, the
flawy design and the lousy user-interface".

It could very well be that Ashton-Tate (that put so much pressure on
Apple to stop the release _by Apple_ of 4th Dimension after looking
at some pre-release versions of the program) figures it doesn't stand
a chance with dBase Mac compared to 4th Dimension. This program,
from what I saw of it, looks like the ideal dbms-program for the
Mac.

Just like WordPerfect Company delayed the release of WordPerfect Mac
after seeing the possibilities of MS-Word 3.0, Ashton-Tate might
have decided to improve the product instead of giving birth to a dead
child.

					Paul Molenaar

"Just checking the walls" - Basil Fawlty

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (07/20/87)

Yeah, dBUG (our local user's group) got to see the demo last January;
release was promised in March.  It was fairly impressive, but the thing they
kept hemming and hawing over was that it could not run programs created on
the PC's dBASE II version, because the command language wasn't quite
identical.  Rumors about the delays I've heard pointed to efforts to try to
get the dBASE II Mac's command language to be a true superset of the PC's
dBASE II.

And, yah, 4th Dimension blows it out of the water...

                        "If you took everyone who's ever been to a Dead
                         show, and lined them up, they'd stretch halfway to
                         the moon and back... and none of them would be
                         complaining."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...