[comp.sys.mac] Seeking recommendations for Fan/Surge Surpressors

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (07/18/87)

Thinking of getting one of those combination fans/surge supressors, and was
wondering if anyone had some good/bad things to say about particular models.
The three I hear the most about are Kensington's System Saver Mac,
BeckTech's Fanny Mac, and MPH Mac B Cool.

There are two things I'd grade on: quietness of fan, and how good the surge
supressor is.  Macazine ran a review on surge supressors a while ago, and
gave a very good review of Mac B Cool; however, Fanny Mac and System Saver
Mac were not reviewed.  Any reviews you can remember, please post the
details.

Thanks in advance...

				"Jack Putter... TO THE RESCUE!"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

howard@amdahl.amdahl.com (The Toolmaster) (07/20/87)

In article <1285@sputnik.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>The three I hear the most about are Kensington's System Saver Mac,
>BeckTech's Fanny Mac, and MPH Mac B Cool.

After the Analog burnout (alledgedly the flyback) on my 512->2meg,
I pulled the piezo fan out and slapped on a System Saver.  It is very quiet.
I can hear the Dataframe drive more than the fan.  Any noise is very low
frequency.

I briefly considered a Fanny Mac, but a friend has one and said it was too
loud.  He demonstrated and I agreed.  However, the Fanny Mac is a bit more
transportable (read smaller) than a System Saver.
--
"Plan for the future because that's where you                Howard C. Simonson
    are going to spend the rest of your life." {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc}!amdahl!howard

[ The disclaimer for this message may be found in my next article ]

cds@duke.cs.duke.edu (Craig D. Singer) (07/20/87)

Well, I looked at three Mac fans, the Kensington, the Fanny Mac, and Mac
Fan.  I don't know a darned thing about surge protection so I guess I
assumed they all were about the same.  Perhaps a foolish assumption.

Anyway, I chose the Fanny Mac for aesthetic reasons.  It is the only one
that bulges neither on top nor in the back (except for the wires in back, of
course) which means that dust covers fit nicely over it and in general the
Mac maintains its nice looks.  Also the Fanny Mac slides on and off with no
difficulty, although I suspect this is true of all of these products.

I can't say that the fan is quiet, but I have no comparison to go by,
either.  I rather like the white noise effect of a fan while I work, but
judging from this newsgroup, I'm in the minority on that point (or else the
minority is quite vocal).  On the other hand, I can say that my Mac runs
much cooler now than before the fan (I have a Mac+, and I am thinking about
upgrading to 2 Meg).

The one drawback with the Fanny Mac is that it has no extra outlet for a
printer or whatever, so if one has another piece of equipment that ought to
be line-protected, one ends up buying a wall-unit surge protector anyway.
The Fanny Mac does have a convenient switch on top that has made me forget
all about the awkward switch on the back of the Mac.

I have no connection whatsoever with whoever makes the Fanny Mac, etc., etc.
--
Craig D. Singer                      ARPA:  cds@cs.duke.edu
Department of Computer Science       UUCP:  ...!decvax!duke!cds