[comp.sys.mac] New MacDraw release

rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) (07/17/87)

Apple just shipped updates to MacDraw, MacProject, and MacTerminal
to its dealers -- ours just arrived yesterday. (MacWrite 4.6 will
be arriving RSN).

Here's a summary of the fixes:

	MacDraw 1.9.5 -- zoom box on window, Font names are at the bottomo
of the menu, so the menu can scroll; MacDraw now supports up
to 54 fonts. Fonts are remembered by font number ranther than by
position in the menu, for system independence. If there's no installed
printer, MacDraw will open a normal window instead of one filled with disabled
gray space.

	MacProject 1.2 -- runs on all Apple machines. (I don't recall the
exact details).

	MacTerminal 2.2 -- is functionally identical to version 2.0,
but works properly with System 4.1 and the new SE and Mac II ROM sets.

	MacWrite 4.6 -- runs on 68020 machines; also, the maximum
window size is no longer fixed to the Mac screen, but can be expanded
to fill the whole screen.

Other neato stuff:

	I got a good look at 4th dimension, the new superdatabase
that everyone's drooling over. It looks interesting, but I can't
form an opinion until I've had some time alone with it. The package
includes 4 floppies, a User's Guide, a Tutorial, and a Programmer's Guide.
The version I saw was a dealer's demo version, marked "Not for Resale".
I don't know if the package is copyprotected or not.

	I recently got LaserSpeed 1.5 from THINK. If you have a LaserWriter,
I *highly* recommend this product -- it's an excellent LaserWriter spooler.
If the machine crashes or gets powered off or rebooted, LaserSpeed
picks up where it left off. You can set it to notify you
when printing starts and/or when it finishes, and you can shuffle
your own jobs around in the queue. I haven't tried it with
downloadable PostScript fonts, but it's supposed to work, and I
have no reason to doubt it.

	Lightspeed Pascal: The new Mac II compatible version will
be going beta soon, and should be ready for release Real Soon Now.
I don't know the exact date, and at any rate, I don't want to
state it if I *did* know, 'cause there's no sense in pressuring
those nice people.

	Lightspeed C: According to their Customer Support, there's
an update available that has been posted to CompuServe; it fixes
the problems that LSC had with self-modifying code, and also
fixes the bit-banging problems with the handle attribute bits, so that
programs written with this new LSC *will* work with any future 32-bit
operating system. I think you can download the upgrade for nothing; I don't
know what THINK's upgrade policy is with respect to this.

I have no association with THINK other than as a happy user of Lightspeed
C, Lightspeed Pascal, and LaserSpeed.

		--Rich

jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (07/20/87)

In article <0UzVSdy00V4IwW80SG@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:
>	Lightspeed C: According to their Customer Support, there's
>an update available that has been posted to CompuServe; it fixes
>the problems that LSC had with self-modifying code, and also
>fixes the bit-banging problems with the handle attribute bits, so that
>programs written with this new LSC *will* work with any future 32-bit
>operating system. I think you can download the upgrade for nothing; I don't
>know what THINK's upgrade policy is with respect to this.

I've gotten a copy of this.  It upgrades LightspeedC from 2.01 to 2.11.  It
includes an application that modifies your LightSpeedC(TM) file by copying in
new resources.  It also includes headers for System 4.1/Macc II compatibilty.
And yes, it adds in the new ROM calls as well.  Download from Compuserve is
*NOT* free, it's $12 per hour at 1200 or 2400 baud.  If noone else has done it,
I'll upload it and submit it to Comp.mac.binaries.

>I have no association with THINK other than as a happy user of Lightspeed
>C, Lightspeed Pascal, and LaserSpeed.

Ditto.

>		--Rich

Jerry Whitnell