[comp.sys.mac] Sticky Mouse on SE

jabr@umb.umb.edu (John Abreau) (07/17/87)

[** munch munch **]

Recently someone posted a complaint about the new mouse that comes with
the SE and the II; it seems that occasionally the Mac acts as though the
mouse button is being held down, when in fact it isn't.  At last night's
BCS MacTechGroup meeting, this happened to our SE in the middle of a
presentation being given by the author of SuperMandelZoom.  We tried a number
of things to fix it, such as clicking the mouse button repeatedly, turning
the mouse over and whacking it, and such; we were assuming the button was
actually the problem. I've since concluded that the problem was actually
with the ADB Manager.

Anyway, after these things failed to do anything, I tried activating MouseKeys.
This did the trick; when MouseKeys is active, the '5' on the keypad is a
mouse click (mouseDown and mouseUp), the '0' is a mouse drag (mouseDown),
and the '.' is a mouseUp. Hitting the dot fixed the problem.
--
John M. Abreau, Dept of Computer Science, University of Massachusetts/Boston
INTERNET: jabr@umb.edu    UUCP: {ihnp4,mit-vax,seismo,think}!harvard!umb!jabr

thomas@uvabick.UUCP (Thomas Fruin) (07/22/87)

The problem with a 'sticky mouse' probably isn't related to the computer
being an SE or II or to ADB.  It has happened to me two times, and I'm
using a Mac ED (also known as the 512e), with an old style mouse.

But I am using System 4.1 (and Finder 5.5), so it looks like we have our
culprit...

-- Thomas Fruin

   fruin@hlerul5.BITNET
   thomas@uvabick.UUCP

   Leiden University, Netherlands

wiso@ihwpt.ATT.COM (Jack Wisowaty) (07/22/87)

In article <565@umb.umb.edu>, jabr@umb.umb.edu (John Abreau) writes:

> Recently someone posted a complaint about the new mouse that comes with
> the SE and the II; it seems that occasionally the Mac acts as though the
> mouse button is being held down, when in fact it isn't.  ...
> I've since concluded that the problem was actually with the ADB Manager.
>
> Anyway, after these things failed to do anything, I tried activating
> MouseKeys. This did the trick; '.' is a mouseUp. Hitting the dot fixed
> the problem.

I wouldn't exactly call this fixing the problem unless the sticky click
failed to return later (which I don't believe was the case, was it?).  It's
interesting that you think the mouse is not the problem.  I would hope that
that would mean a permanent fix will eventually be found.  Is anyone out
there working on this problem?  Any comments from the Apple techies?

Jack Wisowaty
AT&T Bell Labs
ihnp4!ihwpt!wiso

wiso@ihwpt.ATT.COM (Jack Wisowaty) (07/24/87)

In article <227@uvabick.UUCP>, thomas@uvabick.UUCP (Thomas Fruin) writes:
> The problem with a 'sticky mouse' probably isn't related to the computer
> being an SE or II or to ADB.  It has happened to me two times, and I'm
> using a Mac ED (also known as the 512e), with an old style mouse.
>
> But I am using System 4.1 (and Finder 5.5), so it looks like we have our
> culprit...

Unfortunately we have to keep looking.  Because of the bad interactions
between LightSpeed C and System 4.1, I've had to resort to using the old
System 3.2, and I'm still having the problem.  A copy of this exact same
System never produced a problem on my old 512K.  Tracing the origins of
this problem seems to be going in circles.  Do any other 512K or plus users
have a sticky mouse?  How about some help from the people who should know
what's going on?

Jack Wisowaty
AT&T Bell Labs
ihnp4!ihwpt!wiso