[comp.sys.mac] High Resolution Monochrome Diplays for Mac SE and II

mo@seismo.CSS.GOV (Mike O'Dell) (07/24/87)

Hello there sports fans,

I am collecting information about High Resolution
large-format monochrome displays for the Mac SE and Mac II.

By high resolution I mean 115-120 dots/inch minimum,
and by large format I mean large enough for one
8.5x11 page with room left over (sort-of 1.5 8.5x11
pages minimum).

As an example, the display on a SUN 3/260HM is about the
minimum requirement.

If anyone can give me any pointers, I would appreciate it.

	-Mike O'Dell

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (07/26/87)

In article <44041@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, mo@seismo.CSS.GOV (Mike O'Dell) writes:

> Hello there sports fans,
>
> I am collecting information about High Resolution
> large-format monochrome displays for the Mac SE and Mac II.
> By high resolution I mean 115-120 dots/inch minimum,
> and by large format I mean large enough for one
> 8.5x11 page with room left over (sort-of 1.5 8.5x11
> pages minimum).
> 	-Mike O'Dell
     One monitor I saw recently is made by CornerStone Technology
in San Jose, Calif.  408-433-3983.  I don't know the price or the availability
but here are the specs (I did see a monitor which looked very nice at first
glance albeit small text!)

    1600 x 1280 pixels in a 19in monitor
    67 Hz refresh rate
    image area  13.8 x 10.8 inches
    noninterlaced
    one year warranty

This is a Mac II monitor although they may have monitors for other systems
as well. The biggest problem with these ultra high resolution monitors is
that currently the Mac doesn't really work too well with screen resolutions
so far away from the standard 72 dots/in. In the case of this monitor,
the menubar is quite small, icons are also tiny, etc. For graphics applications
where one can work in all sorts of zoomed views it would work very well.

I know that Sigma Designs is working on MacSE and MacII monitors which have
very high resolution as well but I don't have the specs at hand.

Obviously I have nothing to do with these companies. If I did I sure would
try and have more info to push!

David Gelphman  daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu