[comp.sys.mac] Mac lab for High School environment??

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (07/25/87)

A friend is involved in setting up a high school Macintosh lab.
He wants to know if there are any existing plans for an "ideal"
lab for such an environment.  This lab should have about 15 to 30
Macs in an ergonomic work station environment (chairs, lighting,
desks, etc.).  They also want to know how to best situate the
instructor within the lab to optimize availability.

Finally, they want to know if anyone has successfully placed
large monitors (say 25 inches or larger) on a Mac Plus or SE.

Please send any info you have to me and I will forward it.
Thanks...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Center for Teaching Excellence
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (07/26/87)

In article <704@uhccux.UUCP>, todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) writes:
> A friend is involved in setting up a high school Macintosh lab.
> He wants to know if there are any existing plans for an "ideal"
> lab for such an environment.  This lab should have about 15 to 30
> Macs in an ergonomic work station environment (chairs, lighting,
> desks, etc.).  They also want to know how to best situate the
> instructor within the lab to optimize availability.

Depends on the shape of the room.  I'm in the process of redesigning one of
our old "computer labs" into a Macintosh lab.  The lab is shaped like an L,
making it difficult to decide on how to set up the room such that everyone
could conveniently see the professor.

> Finally, they want to know if anyone has successfully placed
> large monitors (say 25 inches or larger) on a Mac Plus or SE.

One thing you may want to consider, if you're trying to squeeze within a budget,
is something that appeared in InfoWorld a couple of weeks ago.  Comtrex, Ltd.,
has produced an LCD screen to go on your typical overhead projector.  Thus, you
use your overhead projector to project Macintosh images.  While I have never seen
this product, I have seen equivalent products for the PC and the video image is
very good.  This is product is supposed to be even better than the PC system
because of the Macintosh's better resolution and faster scan rate.  The price is
about $1500.  Comtrex's number is (714)-855-6600.
--
"There's so much you've promised..."      Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)