[comp.sys.mac] How do I write a Guided Tour

IRWIN@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Irwin Tillman) (07/10/87)

I think the "Guided Tour to your Macintosh SE" (version 1.0) is excellent;
its only shortcoming is that it doesn't finish the job since there
is no more room on the disk for additional lessons.  Does anyone know
how to build another guided tour disk?  Any doc you can point me to
or software to help me write the lesson documents?

Irwin Tillman           BITNET: IRWIN@PUCC
Princeton University    UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,cbosgd}!psuvax1!PUCC.BITNET!IRWIN

fry@huma1.HARVARD.EDU (David Fry) (07/11/87)

In article <3091@pucc.Princeton.EDU> IRWIN@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>I think the "Guided Tour to your Macintosh SE" (version 1.0) is excellent;
>its only shortcoming is that it doesn't finish the job since there
>is no more room on the disk for additional lessons.  Does anyone know
>how to build another guided tour disk?  Any doc you can point me to
>or software to help me write the lesson documents?

The April Apple Programmer's and Developer's Association
calalogue lists product #KMSJGT, "Journalling and Guided
Tour," for $15.00.  It claims to allow a non-programmer to
make the tours you want.  NOTE: It says it requires MacDraw,
but I have no idea why.  It can optionally use Macintalk for
speech synthesis, not included (but easily, legally,
obtained).

APDA membership is also required, at a price of $20/year.
Call or right APDA, 290 SW 43rd Street, Renton, WA 98055.
206-251-6548.

If you feel up to it, you can also consult chapter 8 of Inside
Macintosh I for instructions as to how to do it without buying
the above package.  But it looks pretty complicated.

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138

leeke@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (Steven D. Leeke) (07/11/87)

In article <2512@husc6.UUCP> fry@huma1.UUCP (David Fry) writes:
>The April Apple Programmer's and Developer's Association
>calalogue lists product #KMSJGT, "Journalling and Guided
>Tour," for $15.00.  It claims to allow a non-programmer to
>make the tours you want.  NOTE: It says it requires MacDraw,
>but I have no idea why.  It can optionally use Macintalk for
>speech synthesis, not included (but easily, legally,
>obtained).

I got a copy of the Guided Tour Tools from APDA recently and set out to do
a guided tour for a beta release to our sponsors.  So maybe some of the
following will be useful to people.

1) The guided tour stuff from APDA is NOT the same (as far as I can tell) as
what Apple used for the Mac II guided tour (the one I have) and I'll bet for
the SE as well.  The Apple one is far more advanced it seems - which
seems logical.

2) MacDraw is needed because you draw your main screen with buttons in
Draw and fill in a table on the same document telling the GT what to do
when a button is hit.  Save it in PICT format and the GT reads it in when
it starts.

3) The GT tools seemed to work as advertised - but I could never get speech
to work.  I did not have Speech Tutor (I think that's the name), but the
other tools I had could not save the phoneme speech as a resource correctly.
I hacked a short program to save it, but I still couldn't get it to work.
Anyway, since you have to rerecord a session when you add speech it can
be very time consuming - PLANNING AHEAD IS A MUST IN GT DEVELOPMENT!!

4) You can also add dialogs to your GT, but after trying speech I realized
that doing a good GT is a major piece of work - especially since you are
trying to reach people who won't read between the lines (most likely) if
you leave something out.  I think if I were going to do a commercial one I
would dream of doing anything other than what Apple did for the 512k/E/Plus -
use a synch'd tape.  The GT tools are setup to work well with tape and that's
a lot easier than trying to stuff everything into the GT.  In our case we
would have run out of disk space even with a 800k disk since the GT can't
deal with multiple disks or hard disks - so sys/finder/appl/gt all have to
go on one disk.

5) MacinTalk v1.3 (in the APDA catalog but not in existence) is the one
that is supposedly going to work on the SE/II, but since Apple doesn't
sanction it officially I wouldn't use it for anything you don't want to
have to redo substantially, if not completely, for a new machine.

Hope this helps,

Steve Leeke

--
Steven D. Leeke, Center for Integrated Systems, Stanford University
    {ucbvax,decvax}!decwrl!glacier!leeke, leeke@glacier.stanford.edu

"I suppose they don't use money in the 23rd century?"

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (07/13/87)

In article <17128@glacier.STANFORD.EDU>, leeke@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (Steven D. Leeke) writes:
> 1) The guided tour stuff from APDA is NOT the same (as far as I can tell) as
> what Apple used for the Mac II guided tour (the one I have) and I'll bet for
> the SE as well.  The Apple one is far more advanced it seems - which
> seems logical.
..
> Steve Leeke
   I'm pretty sure that the Apple guided tours are now done using
interactive VideoWorks by MacroMind. This is available for general
purchase but is much more expensive than standard VideoWorks.
David Gelphman

jordan@apple.UUCP (Jordan Mattson) (07/13/87)

Follow up on Guided Tour Disks:

	The Journaling and Guided Tour Product from APDA is no longer used by
Apple to produce Guided Tour disks.  At present Interactive Video Works is
being used.
	In addition, the Journaling and Guided Tour Product is not very clean
and has problems on the Macintosh SE and Macintosh II.

--

Jordan Mattson				UUCP:   ucbvax!mtxinu!apple!jordan
Apple Computer, Inc.			CSNET: 	jordan@apple.CSNET

radford@calgary.UUCP (07/14/87)

In article <1319@apple.UUCP>, jordan@apple.UUCP (Jordan Mattson) writes:
> Follow up on Guided Tour Disks:
>
> 	The Journaling and Guided Tour Product from APDA is no longer used by
> Apple to produce Guided Tour disks.  At present Interactive Video Works is
> being used.
> 	In addition, the Journaling and Guided Tour Product is not very clean
> and has problems on the Macintosh SE and Macintosh II.

I purchased the Guided Tour package from APDA for the purposes of
software testing, but haven't gotten around to using it yet. It does
indeed seem a bit strange, with peculiar restrictions on what kind of
disk you can use.

So, can anyone recommend what to use for regression testing? What I
have in mind is recording a script of various user actions and running
them past my program after every major change to verify that all the
scroll bars, DAs, dialog boxes, etc., etc. still work. The manual
method seems pretty tedious here.

    Radford Neal

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (07/15/87)

Regression testing comes from "The Monkey".  If you look at a list
of global variables there's one called "MonkeyLives" which indicates
that a random-event generator is functioning.

I haven't heard much about it since 1984 and the 64K ROM, so I don't
know if it was ever released outside Apple.  I can't comment on the
rumor that it was used to produce an entire issue of PC World. :-)
--
	Joel West,  Palomar Software, Inc. (c/o UCSD)
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww or jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

mlwh%sphinx@Sun.COM (Martin Hall) (07/15/87)

I do not know if this has been brought up before but are there problems
with the demo disks that come with Mac SE's?

I just got my SE the other day and I ran the demo.

Many times after the little guy walks out on the street, and directions
come out that are telling you what to do the text gets slightly cut off
on the last line (the words are cut in half).

The box that is around the text seems fine at the bottom and extends
down about as far as it should go if the text was printing properly.

I would like to know if anybody has seen this before.  If not is it
possible that my hardware is bad?  Any help would be appreciated....

----Martin L. W. Hall---- Sun Microsystems
HASA member in good standing
{allegra | hplabs}!sun!mlwh@sphinx or mlwh@sun.COM

g560676211ea@ucdavis.UUCP (g560676211ea) (07/28/87)

> I do not know if this has been brought up before but are there problems
> with the demo disks that come with Mac SE's?
>
> I just got my SE the other day and I ran the demo.
>
> Many times after the little guy walks out on the street, and directions
> come out that are telling you what to do the text gets slightly cut off
> on the last line (the words are cut in half).

The problems that you describe is associated with not having the font GARAMOND in your system's font resources. The font should be on the system of any of
the original SE Guided Tour Disks. Incidentally, it only is found in the 18
point form.o