[comp.sys.mac] where are the APPLE reps?

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (07/26/87)

Okeydoke, I've put up with this 00 trashing for several months now;
and I've been on CIS, THE SOURCE, GEnie, and several nationwide Apple
BBS. Nowhere do I find a hint of a message from an Apple rep about
what the new ProDOS witll do to sector 00 on your disk!
I'm furious!  I've had 3+ disks of informaton trashed already because
of Apple's negligence - how can they dare to put out a ProDOS program
that will inadvertently (that is, whenever it feels like it - no cause,
no alarm, no warning to the user) trash the catalog on a ProDOS disk!!!
I've spent 4+ weeks working on these disks; the first two times it
happened to me, I said to myself, okay, you must backup your information.
I did that.  Apple ProDOS v1.4 even when patched, still continues to
trash secto r 00 on my disks.  It doesn't matter what communications
program I use - if I format the disks using ProDOS v.(the newest version
and patched) I still will, without warning, have my entire disk of
information trashed!
--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:  ..cmc12!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (07/26/87)

I've never had a ProDOS disk spontaneously self-destruct. Under what conditions
has this happened? (Under BASIC.SYSTEM; 5.25" only, etc.) I fear for the life
my modem program I'm developing. I don't use a 5.25", rarely am under BASIC,
and currently use v1.3. BTW- anyone know if Apple released v2.0 of ProDOS 16
yet?

Believe it or not, one can get feedback from Mr. Sculley himself. My dad
wrote to him concerning Macintosh marketing, and actually got a response.
I'm not sure if he used the address found on every single box from Apple
(20525 Mariani Ave...) or if he got the addr from the quarterly report. Try
either.

David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: You didn't actually believe all that, did you?

ems@apple.UUCP (Mike Smith) (07/28/87)

In article <6900@think.UUCP>, whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) writes:

> Believe it or not, one can get feedback from Mr. Sculley himself. My dad
> wrote to him concerning Macintosh marketing, and actually got a response.
> I'm not sure if he used the address found on every single box from Apple
> (20525 Mariani Ave...) or if he got the addr from the quarterly report. Try
> either.

 20525 Mariani Ave., Cupertino, Ca. 95014

is the main mail address for Apple.  It helps ALOT if you have the
mail stop for the person you are writing to.

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!sun!apple!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (07/28/87)

The Boston Computer Society's Apple User Group BBS (617) 275-9422
(300/1200 baud, 24 hrs) warned us all about the intermittent trashing
that would occur on ProDOS disks in sector 00; it happens without
warning!!!!  There's a patch one can install and yes, yes, I did
that but I've been working with the new ProTERM communications
program and when I installed the patch to ProDOS the system
told me it would not install either because the ProDOS (v1.3)
had already been patched or was not compatible; a*rrrgghhh!
It happens in AppleWorks also!
--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:  ..cmc12!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510
New York, NY, USA                 MCI Mail: 306-1255;  GEnie:  PATT

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (07/28/87)

As far as disk trashing, I have been using Prodos 1.4 for over a month now
8 to 12 hours a day every day with no problems.  I also have a BBS with hard
drive running 24 hours a day with no problems.  If you have had 3 disks trashed
I'd suggest that you get a new copy of Prodos 1.4 as yours is evidently a bad copy and/or have your hardware checked out (and possibly your power).

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax