[comp.sys.mac] Aladdin Banned in Germany

kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) (07/28/87)

A friend of mine, who's a journalist at a Dutch newspaper, says he has
received a press-release about a courtcase initiated by Apple Germany.
As ruled by the court the company that produces the Aladdin Macintosh
emulator (which runs more Mac software than my Magic Sac did) is now
forbidden to produce any more Mac emulators for the Atari ST.

Crucial in this case seems to be the fact that the Aladding provides
a patch program that alters some system-files and a lot of applications
to make them run on the ST. This is a new angle, but seems like
a very logic one to me.

Rumour has it, however, that the next version of Aladdin could do without
those pathes. Just a little too late, so it seems. I'm also informed
that Apple Zeist (Holland) plans to attack any official dealers of
the German product. This is quite contrary to the Magic Sac (that did [or
better yet: didn't ;)] do without the patching). This device was left alone.

Paul Molenaar

ljdickey@water.UUCP (07/31/87)

In article <1063@ark.cs.vu.nl> kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) writes:
>As ruled by the court the company that produces the Aladdin Macintosh
>emulator (which runs more Mac software than my Magic Sac did) is now
>forbidden to produce any more Mac emulators for the Atari ST.
>Rumour has it, however, that the next version of Aladdin could do without
>those patches. Just a little too late, so it seems.

What is to stop the company from marketing a new product, with a new name,
that might act the same as aladdin, but without the patches?