[comp.sys.mac] Problem with Diskfit 1.1df

naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) (07/21/87)

I formatted my Dataframe XP40 and then restored from my Diskfit smartset.
When I went to reboot, the system crashed (flickering screen).  I booted
up off of another floppy and found that my System file had grown about
twice its size (from ~850K to ~1800K).  I copied a fresh System to the disk
and all was OK (except that I had to put back all my fonts/DAs!).  Anyone
else hear of this wierd and undesireable behavior?  I haven't called
Dataframe tech support yet...  I am guessing that the routine to
"join" files larger than 800K hasn't quite been debugged!
--
Robert N. Berlinger
Supervisor of Systems Support				Compuserve: 73047,741

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (07/23/87)

In article <1226@aecom.YU.EDU> naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) writes:
>I formatted my Dataframe XP40 and then restored from my Diskfit smartset.
>When I went to reboot, the system crashed (flickering screen).  I booted
>up off of another floppy and found that my System file had grown about
>twice its size (from ~850K to ~1800K).  I copied a fresh System to the disk

The exact thing happend to me on my Dataframe 20 last week.  You should call
up SuperMac and get the latest version of DiskFit, version 1.21.  It
contains a fix for the join problem.  Also included are a few enhancements
from version 1.01, including:

1.  New smartset types, including "Systems & Applications" and "Single Large
    File".  You can tell DiskFit what other file types should be considered
    system and application files (i.e., help files, inits...)

2.  Fast copy mode: just as reliable as normal copy, but bad news if you
    suffer a crash/loss of power/etc... during the copy operation.  But it
    is faster than before.

3.  Fewer warnings about erasing certain disks if you desire.

4.  Duplicate an volume onto another volume large enough to fit the source.
    (i.e., HD->HD backup)

5.  Intelligent treatment for invisible files.  Invisible files are rendered
    visible on the backup copy so you can drag them onto your HD if you
    want.  On volume restores invisible files are restored as invisible.

6.  The ability to specify types of files which DiskFit will never backup.
    Very useful for those of us who use partitioning software that treat
    partitions as large files on the HD.

There's probably a few more features, but that's all that I remember right
now.

Regarding the current discussion on "What is the ideal hard disk
backup/archival program?" I'd like to mention that Dantz Software is
apparently working on making DiskFit useful for archival as well.  Actually,
its interesting how I got DiskFit 1.21:

A few months ago I commented to Larry Zulch at Dantz that I didn't use
DiskFit eventhough it was better for backup than SuperBackup by a mile.  The
reasons were that I had several invisible files on my Dataframe and at that
time Diskfit just rendered them invisible on the backup floppies so it was a
major pain to restore them individually.  I also noted that it would be
useful if Diskfit is more compatible for archiving.

Two days ago I received, quite unexpectly, a copy of Diskfit 1.21 from
Mr. Zulch at Dantz.  I've moved to a new address for the summer, so he
apparently remembered that I had asked for better treatment of invisible
files and sent me 1.21 and pulled my address of my .signature.  How's that
for support?

Oh well, I guess I said enough.  Just don't be too surprised if in a few
months DiskFit turns out to be the best backup and archival program - they
seem to listen to the users!

Disclaimer:  I have no relation to Dantz Software Development, SuperMac
Software, and SuperMac other than a Dataframe and Diskfit user.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.253.35)                    |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-415-643-2953,  USPS:    2299 Piedmount Av, Berkeley CA 94720 |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

jimb@dopey.AMD.COM (Jim Budler) (07/23/87)

In article <1226@aecom.YU.EDU> naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) writes:
} I formatted my Dataframe XP40 and then restored from my Diskfit smartset.
} When I went to reboot, the system crashed (flickering screen).  I booted
} up off of another floppy and found that my System file had grown about
} twice its size (from ~850K to ~1800K).  I copied a fresh System to the disk
} and all was OK (except that I had to put back all my fonts/DAs!).  Anyone
} else hear of this wierd and undesireable behavior?  I haven't called
} Dataframe tech support yet...  I am guessing that the routine to
} "join" files larger than 800K hasn't quite been debugged!

On Compuserve the developer of Diskfit said exactly that: "The newest version
of Diskfit fixes a bug in the join routine". He said he was delivering the new
version to Supermac the next day (~ 1 week ago). He said also that the bug was
in the join operation, not the split, and that old backup sets were still good.

--
+      Jim Budler      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.      (408) 749-5806      +
+  Compuserve: 72415,1200; Delphi: JIMBUDLER;  Usenet: jimb@amdcad.AMD.COM   +

lzulch@cdp.UUCP (07/24/87)

Version 1.01 of DiskFit does have a join file bug.  That bug is fixed in
version 1.2, which is now shipping and is available from SuperMac technical
support (415) 964-9660.

Larry Zulch, Dantz Software Development
---------------------------------------
Exclaimer:  Our fault! Our fault!

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (07/26/87)

In article <1226@aecom.YU.EDU>, naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) writes:
> I formatted my Dataframe XP40 and then restored from my Diskfit smartset.
> When I went to reboot, the system crashed (flickering screen).  I booted
..
...  I am guessing that the routine to
> "join" files larger than 800K hasn't quite been debugged!
> Robert N. Berlinger
    I had the exact same problem...the system file was not restored properly
when I restored using Diskfit. I didn't notify SuperMac (I know, I should have
but didn't find the time, tsk,tsk) myself and I haven't seen a higher version
number than 1.1df. Except for this bug, I've enjoyed using Diskfit although
it certainly could have some additional flexibility beyond what it already
does.
David Gelphman  daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu

cramer%clem@Sun.COM (Sam Cramer) (07/28/87)

>Version 1.01 of DiskFit does have a join file bug.  That bug is fixed in
>version 1.2, which is now shipping and is available from SuperMac technical
>support (415) 964-9660.

I called SuperMac tech support and asked them about this.  They said that
they consider DiskFit 1.2 to still be in beta, despite the fact that Dantz
has released it.  I guess this indicates that SuperMac is very cautious
when releasing software.

Anyway, the fellow I spoke with said that DiskFit 1.2 is not yet available
from SuperMac.

Sam Cramer	{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun!cramer  cramer@sun.com

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (08/03/87)

In article <24304@sun.uucp> cramer@sun.UUCP (Sam Cramer) writes:
>>Version 1.01 of DiskFit does have a join file bug.  That bug is fixed in
>>version 1.2, which is now shipping and is available from SuperMac technical
>>support (415) 964-9660.
>I called SuperMac tech support and asked them about this.  They said that
>they consider DiskFit 1.2 to still be in beta, despite the fact that Dantz
>has released it.  I guess this indicates that SuperMac is very cautious
>when releasing software.
>
>Anyway, the fellow I spoke with said that DiskFit 1.2 is not yet available
>from SuperMac.

Well, I just got my copy today (DiskFit 1.2) -- I'm a dataframe owner.  Says
it has the joining bug fixed, and has some new smartset options.  I'll let
you know when I've tried it...

                        "Dick... YOU'RE FIRED!"
                                *POW* *POW* *POW*

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

jimb@amdcad.AMD.COM (Jim Budler) (08/04/87)

In article <1399@sputnik.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
} In article <24304@sun.uucp> cramer@sun.UUCP (Sam Cramer) writes:
} >>version 1.2, which is now shipping and is available from SuperMac technical
} >>support (415) 964-9660.
} >I called SuperMac tech support and asked them about this.  They said that
} >they consider DiskFit 1.2 to still be in beta, despite the fact that Dantz
} >has released it.  I guess this indicates that SuperMac is very cautious
} >when releasing software.
} >
}
} Well, I just got my copy today (DiskFit 1.2) -- I'm a dataframe owner.  Says
} it has the joining bug fixed, and has some new smartset options.  I'll let
} you know when I've tried it...
}
Well I called, and basically, if you convince a technical type you need
it they'll send it. Unfortunately, all tech types were busy.

I suspect I could convince them, since my System doesn't fit on one floppy
any more.
--
+==== Jim Budler ==== Soon to be at: EDA Systems, Inc and guesting here ===+
| Compuserve: 72415,1200; Delphi: JIMBUDLER;  Usenet: jimb@amdcad.AMD.COM  |

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (08/04/87)

Actually, I think I know why SuperMac isn't releasing DiskFit 1.2.  The
following is from a local bboard (I think its from BMUG):

.. Msg. #2566 in **Software** Posted on 07/31/87 at 08:43:21
.. To: ALL   From: LARRY ZULCH
.. Subject: DiskFit Alert
.. We have found that DiskFit Version 1.2 (or 1.21, they are the same)
.. has a problem copying TO hard disks larger than 40 megabytes when Faster
.. Copying is on.  Please turn off "Faster Copying" if you are copying to
.. a hard disk larger than 40 megs.  We will have version 1.3, fixing this
.. problem and introducing some new features (including a report that
.. includes files) at MacWorld Expo.
..