[comp.sys.mac] Online services for Mac users

mlwh@sphinx.UUCP (08/04/87)

I thought that I would give a quick tally of what I have received so far
on my tally of Online services.....nobody has mentioned MCI mail, while
they have nothing specific about Macs, I would be curious to hear
more....The actual responses follow the tally.

 	I have recieved 10 responses...(only 9 forwarded info).  I added
my input to make it 10.

	Genie		6
	Bix		3
	Compuserve	4
	Delphi		3
	Info-Mac	1
	Echo-Mac(FIDO)	1
	MCI		1
	BITNET		1
	Usenet		*  Almost every response mentioned this so I am
			not including that in the tally.
General comments:
	Most liked Genie because it was cheaper and had fairly upto date
information and PD programs.

	Bix was popular for quality of info.

	Compuserve was big.

	Delphi had quality information.

I will update the tally if I get many more responses.

From chuq@plaid Thu Jul 30 13:26:27 1987
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 87 13:23:39 PDT
From: chuq@plaid (Chuq Von Rospach)
To: sphinx!mlwh
Subject: Re: E-mail and On-line services
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

I use USENET, INFO-MAC and DELPHI.  I used to use CompuServe.

Advantages of USENET:  convenient. free. Has competent people and Apple
	folks on it.  access to new public domain stuff.

Disadvantages of USENET: lots of noise and idiots screaming. Lots of
	repetition -- both too many people saying the same things and
	having the same subject come up time after time. Once a program has
	passed you by, its almost impossible to get a copy because of
	archiving hassles.

Advantages of INFO-MAC: convenient. free. access to Public domain archives.

Disadvantages of INFO-MAC: not as reliable as USENET, sporadic availability
	and occasional delays caused by moderator overload. Programs delayed
	getting into the archive.  requires ARPA access for archives.

Advantages of DELPHI: small, highly competent group of people.  Very low
	noise problems, active moderation.  lots of programs, easy to access
	archive.  Availability of Apple released software (system, finder,
	etc). Access to some Mac developers and companies

Disadvantages of DELPHI: costs money (~$6.00 hour non-prime time 1200 baud).
	no Apple folks, occasionally the machine it is on gets overloaded,
	Delphi software a bit primitive. not as many people -- not as many
	viewpoints on things.

Advantages of CompuServe: the largest, the biggest, the best publicized, the
	"standard" Mac online service/user group.  Has everything ever
	written for the Mac in the archives.  Access to lots of developers
	and companies.

Disadvantages of Compuserve:  the largest, the biggest, the best publicized,
	the "standard" Mac online service/user group.  you think USENET has
	noise problems....  Expensive ($12/hour 1200 baud non-prime time).
	Primitive access software.

If usenet weren't free, I'd do all my Maccing on Delphi. Info-mac is a good
accent to USENET, but unreliable.  I gave up on CIS because of the cost and
because it is so HUGE and noisy I had trouble finding any information of
use to me.

chuq

--
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

We live and learn, but not the wiser grow -- John Pomfret (1667-1703)

From dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa Thu Jul 30 18:04:37 1987
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 87 16:17:56 PDT
From: dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa (Dave Platt)
To: mlwh@sphinx
Subject: Email and online services

I can suggest the following:

*       GEnie has an extensive Mac users' group with numerous
	roundtables and archives.  Their rates are better than most
	($6/hour last time I looked), and they turn the meter off when
	you upload something to their libraries.  Scott Watson's "Red
	Ryder" has a support roundtable on GEnie.

*       Compu$erve is the biggest of the online services, but their
	rates are high and I've heard complaints about their service.

*	Delphi also has an extensive Mac community.

*       The "EchoMac" network of interconnected Fido bulletin-board
	systems is a very good place to get the latest-and-greatest
	public-domain and shareware uploads.  Lots of good discussion
	threads, also.  The nearest Fidos to Sun (Mountain View) are
	The Dog Labs in Belmont (415-594-0781), MacFido Tribune in SF
	(415-923-1235), and MacQueue in SF (415-661-7374).

*       There's a very good interface package for MCI Mail that runs on
	the Mac; Jerry Pournelle reviewed it in a recent issue of
	Byte.  Very nice if you want to send email to people on MCI
	Mail, or electronically- printed paper mail to folks who don't
	have PCs.  Even neater:  if you use a little package called
	"Glue", you can write up a MacWrite/MacDraw/WriteNow/etc.
	document, print it using the Glue "printer" resource (which
	captures the QuickDraw output on disk), upload the Glue file to
	MCI Mail, and send it... the recipient can view it on his/her
	Mac, or (for non-Macish recipients) will receive a
	high-resolution laserprinted letter by U.S. Mail, graphics and
	all!  and according to Jerry P, there's _no_ extra MCI Mail
	charge for this service!

From jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu Fri Jul 31 05:40:23 1987
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 87 20:40:06 PST
From: jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Joel West)
To: mlwh@sphinx

I like Bix, because it's got a great mix of technical groups.
Where else can you read serious discussions about C++ and
Smalltalk (by the experts) and pick up the source to an
Xmodem program in the same call?

For hard-core Macintosh coverage, it's hard to beat
CompuServe.

From @po3.andrew.cmu.edu:rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu Fri Jul 31 06:12:35 1987
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 87 09:05:22 edt
From: rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel)
To: mlwh@sun.com
Subject: On-Line Services

The only on-line service besides Usenet that I use is BIX, the Byte
Information eXchange; it's a good service; the Macintosh conference
isn't quite as busy as comp.sys.mac, but it is a good conference.

		--Rich

R-Squared Development Systems
134 Horseshoe Drive
Williamsburg, Virginia 23185
(804) 229-2152 [After 6pm eastern time only]

Arpanet: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu
Uucp: {your fave gateway}!seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!rs4u

Disclaimer? I don't even KNOW 'er!

"Do you wanna be a cop or a lost cause?"
    -- Sean Connery, in "The Untouchables"

From wes@ukecc.engr.UKY.EDU Fri Jul 31 07:48:03 1987
Date:     Fri, 31 Jul 87 9:48:23 EDT
From: Wes Morgan <ukecc!wes>
To: mlwh@sphinx

To: mlwh%sphinx@Sun.COM
News-Path: ukecc!ukma!rutgers!sri-unix!sri-spam!ames!amdcad!sun!sphinx!mlwh

Well, if you have access to BITNET, MACSERVE@PUCC is wonderful.
MACSERVE is a file server with a library of about 500 applications
for Mac.  Everything from system tools <RESEDIT-type stuff> to
games <Crystal Raider and the like>, to text editors and DAs is
available.  I've downloaded about 20 applications with no problem.
Everything is PD, and the only cost is that incurred by using your
BITNET system for the transfer.  Of course, you'll need Kermit
<or RedRyder> and BinHex.  A few programs are ARC'd; I haven't
downloaded any of those.  For more info, just send an interactive
message <MACSERVE can't handle mail yet> such as:

<IBM> TELL MACSERVE AT PUCC DIR

Hope this helps......

Wes Morgan

ps) Oh, yeah; PUCC.BITNET is Princeton University.  MACSERVE is maintained
    by MAINT@PUCC; they accept mail queries.

---
Wes Morgan     UUCP: !cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!wes   CSNET: wes@engr.uky.csnet
            ARPANET: wes@engr.uky.edu        BITNET: wes%ukecc.uucp@ukma

    " Disclaimer? Huh? You mean this was supposed to be *MY* opinion? "
--

From uhmanoa!uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu!mikeb@humu.nosc.mil Fri Jul 31 12:30:55 1987
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 87 09:25:20-1000
From: mikeb@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Mike Burger)
To: mlwh@sun.com
Subject: Online survey

mlwh@sun.COM

	My roomate and I are both longtime Mac users.  We both
subscribe to GENIE, the GE Information service and find it extremely
good.  It has local Honolulu access, costs only $5.00 an hour in the
evening, at night and on weekends and holidays, and only costs $18.00
to join, which includes a very nice manual and a regular mailing of
a newsletter.
	The billings are electronically deducted from our checking
accounts.  We make extensive use of the Mac news and the large library
of programs and other goodies.  I make some use of the CB simulator,
but we spend the vast majority of our time in CMUG, the Coffee Mug
or Mac User Group.  We highly recomend it as a best buy.
	It has numerous other features we haven't used, like airline
reservations and recently access to stock and investment info.
It also supports the (please forgive me) IBM PC and several other
machines.

mikeb@uhccux.UHCC

From seismo!bpa!vu-vlsi!ge-mc3i!ge-mc3i.UUCP!sterritt Sun Aug  2 20:37:25 1987
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 87 16:36:44 EDT
From: seismo!ge-mc3i!sterritt (Chris Sterritt)
To: mlwh@sphinx
Subject: Reply to your E-Mail and On-Line services stuff

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Bcc:

Martin,
	Hi!  Just thought I'd reply to your question about what are the good
Mac E-Mail, etc. boards.  My preferences are (with time I have spent on each):
	GEnie (General Electric's Network for Information Exchange)
		very good.  I've been on for over a year, and it's the
		cheapest of the ones I use at $5.00 per hour for 1200 baud.
		No, I didn't join because I work for GE!  I got on because of
		the Red Ryder board; it's how Scott distributes RR updates
		(Or used to :-)  (I say that because I've been waiting for
		version 10 for over a year!)  It's a popular board, and PD
		Software shows up quickly.  They were the first to 'stop the
		clock' on uploads so any uploading isn't charged to your
		account.  Only bad thing is that they charge $15.00 per hour
		for 2400 baud.  They also have a *Great* SF bulletin board.

	DELPHI --
		Second best.  They have very good technical discussions, but
		a great amount of it is repeated on USENET, and almost all of
		the public domain stuff comes from Usenet!  So if you're on
		USENET, you really don't need DELPHI.  I'm on because of the
		MacNosy support group ('free' updates, etc.).  They're $7.20
		per hour for 3/12/24 hundred baud service.  They have a strange
		policy about time given back to you for uploading; you have
		to request it, or some such.  I also was reprimanded for
		uploading a fairly large file in PackIt compressed form--they
		uncompressed it in their archives, Naturally making it bigger,
		and therefore more expensive to download.  Wierd.  They don't
		seem to get the PD stuff as fast as GEnie, probably because of
		this; most of their stuff comes from one guy who gets it from
		UseNet and ArpaNet.  I've been on about a year.

	Compuserve --
		Just dropped my subscription.  They're the most expensive at
		$12.50 an hour for 3/12/24 hundred baud.  They used to be first
		with all the hot new PD software, but everything gets to GEnie
		nowadays in a day or two...  they're also a legendary pain in
		lots of ways; for example, if you upload something and don't
		EXPLICITLY state that it is PD, and can be uploaded anywhere
		by anyone, Compuserve claims a 'blanket copyright' on it, and
		ONLY Compuserve people can download/use it!!!!! I've seen PD
		Stuff that has the standard 'you may use this in any way' state-
		ment, amended by 'EXCEPT YOU MAY NOT UPLOAD THIS TO COMPUSERVE,
		BECAUSE OF THEIR "Blanket Copyright" POLICY'!!!  They also
		SEEM to fight any kind of packing, or faster versions of
		XModem, but no doubt they'd sue me out of my back teeth if they
		knew I said this :-).

	AI-List from Arpanet --
		the best for technical discussion, but since I am not on a
		'real' arpanode, I can't ftp the goodies from them.

	Good luck!  Hope this helps.
	chris sterritt
	C.Sterritt on GEnie
	CSterritt on Delphi
	Sterritt%Scom15.decnet@ge-crd.arpa on Arpa

From malone@cod.nosc.mil Mon Aug  3 06:36:26 1987
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 87 17:52:25 PDT
From: malone@cod.nosc.mil (John P. Malone)
To: mlwh@sphinx

In article <24534@sun.uucp> you write:
>What I would like to know is what are the e-mail and on-line services
>(other than USENET) that my fellow mac users find helpful.
--> I am not sure of your definition of USENET so the following info
    may not fit your request exactly.
    I access the following sites, via anonymous/guest-ftp, on the
    internet. They all have Mac related files. Some Big-Some small.
    site name          directory involved
    ---------          ------------------
    sumex-aim.stanford.edu      <info-mac>, the grand-daddy of Mac
				 files, info & archives
    sally.utexas.edu            <mac>, some material, not new.
    net1.ucsd.edu               <mac or doc or pub, can't recall>
				Limited, but nice & current.
    simtel20.arpa               <macintosh....> Complements and
				expands on Sumex-Aim's archives.

  I'm sure there are lots of others. Please publish the results.
	    tks      Pat Malone       malone@nosc.mil

From dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu Mon Aug  3 09:41:23 1987
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 87 11:24:18 CDT
From: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner)
To: mlwh@sphinx
Subject: Mac Services

I use GEnie (General Electric Network for Information Exchange).  They
have all the features of the other biggies (CompuServe, etc).  The difference
is that (at night at least, and until the FCC imposes their ridiculous $5
surcharge) GEnie costs $5 per hour at 1200 buad (CServe is $12).  There
is an $18 registration fee as well.

I use GEnie for retreiving software.  They have a large collection of stuff.
There are also product support groups on it (Red Ryder, for example, has
its own area), and a bulletin board system.  I don't EVER read the bulletin
board, because the volume is just too high, with a very bad signal to noise
ration, and the entrie thing is clumsy to use.

But when I hear about a neat program, GEnie usually has it.

Steve Dorner

From ai5@i.cc.purdue.edu Mon Aug  3 14:01:33 1987
From: ai5@i.cc.purdue.edu (Vik Lall   )
To: mlwh@sun.COM@purdue.edu
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 87 15:44:36 EST
Subject: email services

Could you please send me a summary of what you received
I am thinking of going in for a SE but I am hesitant because
I do not know too much about it. Any info would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Vik Lall

ai5@i.cc.purdue.edu or lall@purccvm.bitnet

----Martin L. W. Hall---- Sun Microsystems
HASA member in good standing
{allegra | hplabs}!sun!mlwh@sphinx or mlwh@sun.COM

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (08/05/87)

in article <24782@sun.uucp>, mlwh%sphinx@Sun.COM (Martin Hall) says:

> I thought that I would give a quick tally of what I have received so far
> on my tally of Online services.....nobody has mentioned MCI mail, while
> they have nothing specific about Macs, I would be curious to hear
> more....The actual responses follow the tally.

Here's another response.  I regret not being able to mail it, but the software
I'm using can't reverse the path for mail on anything that doesn't have a uucp
address (the stuff with @'s in it won't work ...)

At any rate, for Mac stuff I use USENET and CompuServe.  If I need to send
a message to Apple Developer Services using MCI mail, I actually send it from
CompuServe.

I'm new to USENET and hesitate to make judgements after only a couple of weeks.
My first impressions are that people are earnest and knowledgeable, but that
there aren't the vendors and developers that one finds on CompuServe.  It is,
however, the only way for me to get Mac PD software on my bbs computer (a 3B2),
since my Mac won't talk to the 3B2 (modem problems).

CompuServe has been excellent.  I've gotten more work (writing) from contacts
I've made there than all the money I've spent.  For example, that's where
MacUser found me and asked me to write a review of 4th Dimension for the
November issue.  The pay for that one article will be twice what I spend on
CompuServe in a year ...  I don't use their data libraries, since I get PD
disks through the mail from the Boston Computer Society.

Scholastech, the group for which I operate a bbs, has accounts on things like
Biznet, Future, Channel and Softline, local bbs's which have MS-DOS PD
software - the idea is to expand our collection - but I don't use them
personally (having a built-in prejudice against anything that's not a Mac ...)

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
seiso!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop

A plea to all readers: please put uucp paths in your messages so people like
me can mail responses to you !!!!