[comp.sys.mac] Servant...

dlt@csun.UUCP (01/27/87)

My copy of Servant .84 seems to have expired.  Is there a newer version
available?  I thought that I'd read somewhere about version .89 but I've
not seen it on the net.

--
Dave Thompson		     uucp:   {ihnp4|hplabs|psivax}!csun!dlt
CSUN Computer Center         phone:  (818) 885-2790

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (01/27/87)

Yes there is a Version .89 Servant which is suppose to expire on Jan 31st.

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (04/16/87)

Latest I hear is that Servant is dead, as far as Apple is concerned.

Apparently Apple hired some new technical people that are really good
to work on a Finder improvement (perhaps Juggler?)  They took a look
at Servant and decided the code wasn't worth salvaging.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel once I fix news)

harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) (08/04/87)

I seem to  have  caused  some  confusion  and  a storm of concern
regarding my recent note talking about Servant and a new Finder.

I was a bit confused myself, and that's what started things:  The
original INAPPROPRIATE posting to the network and various BBSs of
Juggler/Finder6.x by someone several months  ago is what confused
me.  Here are the facts as I understand them:

o Servant  does  NOT  come    bundled    with   any  Finder.

o Juggler/Finder6.x  may  still  NOT  be  posted  or   distributed.

o Servant .95- MAY be distributed freely.

PLEASE advise me if these are not correct!

Disclaimer:  They are my opinions only, not Digital's.

Jeff Harrow

Work address:
ARPAnet:	HARROW%EXODUS.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		decwrl!exodus.dec.com!harrow        or
                {allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-exodus!harrow
Easynet:	EXODUS::HARROW
Telephone:	(617)264-5128
USPS:		Digital Equipment Corp.
		Mail stop: BXB1-2/E02
		85 Swanson Road
		Boxboro, MA  01719

fry@huma1.HARVARD.EDU (David Fry) (08/04/87)

It should be noted that the Servant .95 that is out and
floating around the electronic world is not *REALLY* version
.95.  Andy Hertzfeld says on CompuServe that it was a .95C
version that he gave to some user groups and didn't intend for
it to get wide distribution.  He also says that the REAL
version .95 will be posted to CompuServe on Tuesday, August
4th and will have a couple features that the fake .95 doesn't
have.

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (08/06/87)

In article <11246@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) writes:
>I seem to  have  caused  some  confusion  and  a storm of concern
>regarding my recent note talking about Servant and a new Finder.
>
>o Servant .95- MAY be distributed freely.

No.  Hertzfeld stated on Compuserve that version 0.95- should NOT be
distributed.  He has posted version 0.951, but that appears to have
some serious bugs.  I'll post 0.951 it in a day or two if it appears
that there's not going to be another new version immediately.
Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC