[comp.sys.mac] Gripe about MacTerminal 2.2

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (08/05/87)

Well, today I picked up my copy of MacTerminal 2.2, installed it on my hard
disk, filled in all my settings in the "Settings" dialogs (mine are considerably
different than the defaults), and then tried to save the configuration state.

WHOOPS!  Where's the "Save Configuration.." menu item?

I always preferred to double-click on MacTerm and open a new window with my
favorite settings, rather than having to double-click a configuration document
and then having to remember to "Save as.."  something else.

Also, since I use an error-correcting modem, it is convenient to do downloads
with a simple 'cat' commmand into the MacTerm text window, saving lines off
the top, and then saving the scrolled text.  With the old Macterm, I could close
the window and quickly select a "New" window without changing my terminal
settings.

Two questions (Apple, are you listening?):

1) Why did the "Save Configuration.." menu item get trashed in version 2.2?

2) Is it possible to hack my favorite settings into MacTerm as defaults?
   Since there are so many settings with who-knows-what-kind-of encoding,
   I would guess that this is no simple project.

BTW, you may be wondering why, with all the fancy communications programs
available for the Mac, I am still using MacTerminal.  The answer is that I
have tried quite a few alternatives (eg. Red Ryder, Microphone,
InTalk/InTouch, and Versaterm) and found that, for the things that I do,
MacTerminal provided the fastest file transfers and fewest hassles.  I can
live without the gongs and whistles.
--
Julian Vrieslander    (607) 255-3594
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric Olson) (08/05/87)

In article <1879@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
>Well, today I picked up my copy of MacTerminal 2.2, installed it on my hard
>disk, filled in all my settings in the "Settings" dialogs (mine are considerably
>different than the defaults), and then tried to save the configuration state.
>
>WHOOPS!  Where's the "Save Configuration.." menu item?
>
>1) Why did the "Save Configuration.." menu item get trashed in version 2.2?
>
>2) Is it possible to hack my favorite settings into MacTerm as defaults?
>   Since there are so many settings with who-knows-what-kind-of encoding,
>   I would guess that this is no simple project.

I don't remember any Save Configuration.. item in any MacTerminal I've ever
used!  However, I, too, like to have my settings in MacTerm and not in
some document.  You can do it like so:

	- Run MacTerminal
	- Set it up like you want it
	- Save the document somewhere
	- Quit, run ResEdit
	- Copy CNFG 0 from the document to MacTerm.

Under MacTerminal 1.1, saving any document after you do this actually
modifies the CNFG 0 in the Application (a minor drawback, unless you like
to save MacTerm settings in documents).  I think it doesn't do this in
MacTerm 2.2; it does what you'd expect (modifies the document's CNFG 0).

Hope this helps.

-Eric

Eric K. Olson		olson@endor.harvard.edu		harvard!endor!olson

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (08/07/87)

In article <2649@husc6.UUCP> olson@endor.UUCP (Eric Olson) writes:

>I don't remember any Save Configuration.. item in any MacTerminal I've ever
>used!  However, I, too, like to have my settings in MacTerm and not in
>some document.  You can do it like so:
>
>	- Run MacTerminal
>	- Set it up like you want it
>	- Save the document somewhere
>	- Quit, run ResEdit
>	- Copy CNFG 0 from the document to MacTerm.

Before I obtained MacTerminal 2.2, I was using a version 2.0 that was site
licensed to Cornell.  There were a couple of small modifications made to the
program by our Computer Services Department, but I didn't think that the
"Save Configuration" menu item was one of the mods.  Perhaps it was.  "Save
Configuration" was right under "Save As.." on the file menu.

Thanks for the tip on copying over the CNFG resource from the document to the
application - I should have thought of that.  It did the job.