[comp.sys.mac] Why RoloAcc bombs under 4.1/5.5

kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) (08/06/87)

I just got my hands on the Rolodex Accessory (I know, I'm slow :) but I
noticed some highly unreliable behaviour when used in combination with
an application like MS-Word. The system would bomb, sending my text
into irretrievable hyperspace.

Remembering earlier messages here about the $02B6 phenomena (the global
pointer that was 'reserved' and now in use by system 4.1, I scanned the
entire file for that hex-value. It was full of it.So I took the gamble
of changing them all into the safer $0A78 and it works much better now.
No strange bombs or something similarly disastrous.

This is a tip to any1 who really likes this accessory (like I do) and wants
to use it under 4.1/5.5.

Paul

alcmist@well.UUCP (Frederick Wamsley) (08/07/87)

The 2B6 -> A78 patch can be dangerous if done in a desk accessory.

A78 is the address of an area in low memory which is reserved as a
scratchpad for applications.  If you try running the patched Rolo
under an application which uses A78 for its own purposes there will be
a conflict.
--
Fred Wamsley  {dual,hplabs}!well!alcmist;well!alcmist@lll-crg.arpa;
CIS 72247,3130; GEnie FKWAMSLEY;ATT Mail fwamsley; other uucp

kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) (08/08/87)

In article <3695@well.UUCP> alcmist@well.UUCP (Frederick Wamsley) writes:
>The 2B6 -> A78 patch can be dangerous if done in a desk accessory.
>
>A78 is the address of an area in low memory which is reserved as a
>scratchpad for applications.  If you try running the patched Rolo
>under an application which uses A78 for its own purposes there will be
>a conflict.
>--

Could you plz tell what location would be a safe one? From now
on I'd like to keep both RoloAcc _and_ my data in applications ;)

Thanx in advance

Paul

[such
waste