[comp.sys.mac] Plain Vanilla TeX for Macintosh ?

sce@runx.ips.oz (Simon Evans) (08/02/87)

Does anyone know if there exist any plain vanilla TeX implementations
on the Macintosh, either as an application or even as a MPW tool?
By plain vanilla, I mean CHEAP (and therefore presumably barebones -
$500 for TeXtures is a lot if there is a plain implementation that
together with dvi2ps does roughly the same job except for preview)

Simon Evans [JAM Software, and Pure Maths u/grad at Uni. Sydney]
"seismo!munnari!runx.ips.oz!sce" or "munnari!runx.ips.oz!sce@SEISMO"

gustav@swanee.OZ (Gustav) (08/04/87)

In article <1037@runx.ips.oz>, sce@runx.ips.oz (Simon Evans) writes:

> Does anyone know if there exist any plain vanilla TeX implementations
> on the Macintosh, either as an application or even as a MPW tool?
> By plain vanilla, I mean CHEAP (and therefore presumably barebones -
> $500 for TeXtures is a lot if there is a plain implementation that
> together with dvi2ps does roughly the same job except for preview)

Actually, having a decent previewer and proper drivers for both
Imagewriter and Laserwriter, plus having the whole lot properly
installed is exactly what you pay those $500 for. Yet, to be able to
run it (i.e. TeXtures) from MPW would be an advantage. Naturally,
it would be even better if there was a shareware version of TeX (for
Mac) which would not cost $500. I've seen something to that extent in
our local Computer Centre, and it was just called TeX.

Now about LaTeX: Addison Wesley advertised that LaTeX and AMSTeX would
be available together with TeXtures 1.0 in the beginning of 1987. Yet,
it is already the second half of 1987 and down here in Australia, they
still don't know anything about these products. Is there any hope to
see them still this year? Does anybody know Addison Wesley's e-mail
address?

   ARPA :    gustav%swanee.oz@seismo.css.gov
   UUCP :    ...!{seismo,mcvax,ucb-vision,uks}!munnari!swanee.oz!gustav

hugo@gnome.cs.cmu.edu (Peter Su) (08/05/87)

Doing this should not be too hard.

I picked up a C version of TeX called Common TeX and am modifying it to
compile with LCS.  If I'm lucky, the code doesn't make too many
assumptions about how big ints are, and it should run OK.

One could do the same thing with MPW C.  The trouble is, I don't think
the MPW shell leaves enough room in memory to run TeX with only 1Meg.
TeX needs about 500K or so to be comfortable, LaTeX needs even more.

The only modifications you need to do in C is to allocate all of TeX's
huge global arrays in the heap.  That's easy in C, impossible in Pascal.

I've been looking at the book TeX: The Program.  With all due respect to
Knuth, TeX is not a shining example of good software engineering.  Oh
well, mostly he was working around problems in Pascal, so I gues sit
can't be helped.  Sigh.

Pete
--
ARPA: hugo@gnome.cs.cmu.edu
UUCP: ...!{ucbvax,ihnp4,cmucspt}!hugo@gnome.cs.cmu.edu

	"There are reports that many executives make their decisions by
	 flipping coins or by throwing darts, etc.  It is also rumored that
	 some college professors prepare their grades on such a basis."
				- Donald Knuth

hugo@gnome.cs.cmu.edu (Peter Su) (08/05/87)

Um, in my post, I of course meant that I'm working in LSC...LightSpeedC
that is...heh heh.

Pete
--
ARPA: hugo@gnome.cs.cmu.edu
UUCP: ...!{ucbvax,ihnp4,cmucspt}!hugo@gnome.cs.cmu.edu

	"There are reports that many executives make their decisions by
	 flipping coins or by throwing darts, etc.  It is also rumored that
	 some college professors prepare their grades on such a basis."
				- Donald Knuth

gae@osupyr.UUCP (Gerald Edgar) (08/08/87)

The "ctex" that is circulating for Unix can be made to work under MPW
without much trouble.  Unfortunately, you really need 2 MB of RAM for this
version to be of much use.