[comp.sys.mac] Bug in Word 3.01!

cgeiger@ut-ngp.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) (07/30/87)

I just got Word 3.01 today, and believe it or not, I already
have found a bug.  To wit:

Did anyone out there use optional hyphens with Word 1.05?
Well, if you didn't, there was a problem there:  on the laser
printer, optional hyphens were detached from the word they
were breaking up.  For example, at the end of the line would
appear
			any -
instead of
			any-

I am a stickler for cleaning up the right side of the page as
much as possible, so I manually hyphenate a lot.  I couldn't
do this on Word 1.05, because of the above problem.  But low
and behold, Word 3.0 fixed this.  Hyphens looked right, and
the program would even hyphenate for you.  Bliss.

But all is not well.  I opened a document typed on 3.0 using
3.01 today, printed it out, and the old 1.05 problem returned,
and with a vengeance!  Not only did optional hyphens separate
from their words, but normal hyphens did too.  In addition,
these separations weren't just one space, but were two or three
spaces!  Example:
			any   -
or
			any  -

Strangely, this doesn't appear in "Page Preview" mode.  Nor
(luckily) does this happen in new documents (typed on 3.01).
Also luckily, this can be fixed by global changes of all
hyphens to hyphens (- to -) and all optional hyphens to
optional hyphens (^- to ^-).  However, this is a pain in the
butt!  Will I now have to keep track of which document was
created with 3.0 and which with 3.01, so that I'll know which
ones I'll have to globally change?

GRRRRRRRR! from
charles s. geiger
ARPA:  cgeiger@ngp.cc.utexas.edu       cgeiger@ut-ngp.ARPA
UUCP:  ihnp4!ut-ngp!cgeiger     allegra!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       gatech!ut-ngp!cgeiger    seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       harvard!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger

palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (07/31/87)

I have had my copy of Word 3.01 for almost an hour now.

Time for a bug report.

The spelling checker does not recognize the words 'hoses' and 'noses'
even though they are in the dictionary.  ('roses' and 'poses' are
recognized however.)  Moreover, the 'suggest'ed replacement for
'hoses' is 'hoses', but the replacement for 'noses' is noose.

Oh well, you can have it now, or you can have it right, Real Soon Now.
How many people out there have paid for Fullwrite?

			David Palmer
			palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu

Disclaimer: I used to work for Microsoft, and worked on Word 1.0
	for the Mac as well as Word for the IBM.

meldal@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) (07/31/87)

I also have opened Word 3.0 documents with soft hyphens. Looking at
the laserwriter output in front of me, the hyphens look fine - no
space between the word and the hyphen at the end of the line.

Currently running on a MacPlus, using the pre-SE system (whatever the
numbers were), and printing in Times.

So far I am pleased with 3.01 - after all footnotes seem to work,
finally.

Sigurd Meldal

Hard mail:
	ERL 456		     | Arpa:  meldal@shasta.stanford.edu
        Computer Systems Lab.|	      	    @anna.stanford.edu
	Stanford University  | BitNet: meldal%anna.stanford.edu@forsythe.bitnet
	Stanford CA 94305    | Uucp: ...decwrl!glacier!shasta!meldal
	USA		     |

phone: +1 415 723 6027

hallett@hamlet.steinmetz (Hallett) (07/31/87)

In article <3410@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP
       (David Palmer) writes:
>I have had my copy of Word 3.01 for almost an hour now.

Gee, how long has Microsoft been shipping 3.01??  Haven't gotten mine
yet.

>Time for a bug report.

See trailer... 8-)

>The spelling checker does not recognize the words 'hoses' and 'noses'
>even though they are in the dictionary.  ('roses' and 'poses' are
>recognized however.)  Moreover, the 'suggest'ed replacement for
>'hoses' is 'hoses', but the replacement for 'noses' is noose.

How strange.  Did it work in 3.0?

>Oh well, you can have it now, or you can have it right, Real Soon Now.
>How many people out there have paid for Fullwrite?

I did.  Got that ad in the mail, send us your WORD 3.0 cover page, the
enclosed coupon and $99 and FullWrite is yours when we ship (early
September).  Also took advantage of the FullPaint-for-$40 coupon,too
(been using the company's copy).

Jeffrey A. Hallett               (hallett@ge-crd.arpa   hallett@desdemona.uucp)
Software Technology Program
General Electric Corporate Research and Development

If there's something strange            (Sung to tune of "Ghostbusters")
   in your piece of code,
Who ya gonna call?

DE-BUGGER!

If your terminal's stuck
   in graphics mode,
Who ya gonna call?

DE-BUGGER!

I ain't afraid o' no bugs!

In article <6856@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> hallett@hamlet.UUCP (Hallett) writes:
>In article <3410@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP
>       (David Palmer) writes:
>>I have had my copy of Word 3.01 for almost an hour now.
>
>Gee, how long has Microsoft been shipping 3.01??  Haven't gotten mine
>yet.

More than an hour, less than a week.

>>The spelling checker does not recognize the words 'hoses' and 'noses'
>>even though they are in the dictionary.  ('roses' and 'poses' are
>>recognized however.)  Moreover, the 'suggest'ed replacement for
>>'hoses' is 'hoses', but the replacement for 'noses' is noose.
>
>How strange.  Did it work in 3.0?

No it didn't, which is why it was the first thing I tried.

On the positive note, the word na:ive (where :i represents an
i with diereses (double dots) over it) is no longer broken
up into 'na' and ':ive'.  (Word 2.0 treated ':o' properly,
but not ':i')

			David Palmer
			palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu

cds@duke.cs.duke.edu (Craig D. Singer) (07/31/87)

In article <5755@ut-ngp.UUCP> cgeiger@ut-ngp.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) writes:
>I just got Word 3.01 today, and believe it or not, I already
>have found a bug.  To wit:
>
>But all is not well.  I opened a document typed on 3.0 using
>3.01 today, printed it out, and the old 1.05 problem returned,
>and with a vengeance!  Not only did optional hyphens separate...

I'm not sure you can call this a bug, since it works correctly with
documents created by 3.01.  After all, since 3.0 was such a mess, why bother
making 3.01 backwards compatible with it?  Yes, I'll agree Microsoft should
have provided backwards compatibility since they screwed up in the first
place, but that's not the same as saying that 3.01 has a bug.
--
Craig D. Singer                      ARPA:  cds@cs.duke.edu
Department of Computer Science       UUCP:  ...!decvax!duke!cds

boz@dartvax.UUCP (John Boswell) (08/06/87)

I too just received WORD 3.01 in the mail.  But the annoying bug I saw in
3.0 is still there.  It seems that the program has its own ideas about how
long an inch is.  I set it for 1.25 inch left and right margins, printed it
out, and when it was done printing (fine) the margins reverted to 1 inch, and
the ruler *still* showed all of the text... The width of the screen, according
to the ruler, had increased .5 inch!  (6.5 inches of text, supposedly!)

Anybody any clue as to why the ruler at one point measures 6 inch screen, and
then switches to 6.5??  The times I notice this most is when I print some-
thing on the imagewriter, and then on the laserwriter... dynamic rulers again!

				John Boswell

no witty sayings here...

jdschnit@elrond.CalComp.COM (Jeffrey D. Schnitzer) (08/07/87)

In article <6826@dartvax.UUCP> boz@dartvax.UUCP (John Boswell) writes:
>I too just received WORD 3.01 in the mail.  But the annoying bug I saw in
>3.0 is still there.  ...  I set 1.25 inch left and right margins, printed it
>out, and when it was done printing (fine) the margins reverted to 1 inch, and
>the ruler *still* showed all of the text... The width of the screen, according
>to the ruler, had increased .5 inch!  (6.5 inches of text, supposedly!)
>Anybody any clue as to why the ruler at one point measures 6 inch screen, and
>then switches to 6.5??  The times I notice this most is when I print some-
>thing on the imagewriter, and then on the laserwriter... dynamic rulers again!

You stumbled across the difference between "Tall Adjusted" and not "Tall
Adjusted" text on the imagewriter.  This is not a bug.  It occurs in MacWrite
and other applications as well.  The laserwriter has no such option, so
toggling between the two printers will toggle page width (and hence margins)
by about half an inch, depending on whether "Tall Adjusted" was set.

 Jeffrey D. Schnitzer, Calcomp Display Products Division, Hudson NH 03051-0908
 jdschnit@elrond.CalComp.COM (I hate short unix names)  MaBell: (603) 885-8156

levin@cc5.bbn.com.BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) (08/07/87)

+
+Anybody any clue as to why the ruler at one point measures 6 inch screen, and
+then switches to 6.5??
              --> BIG CLUE HERE! <--
+			 The times I notice this most is when I print some-
+thing on the imagewriter, and then on the laserwriter...

This is the difference between (a) Normal Imagewriter and (b)
Laserwriter and Tall-Adjusted Imagewriter (they act the same - by
coincidence?).  The application adjusts for the effective width of the
print area depending on Page Setup mode (except in Word 3.X, it's in
Print - urgh).  Word fiddles the ruler, keeping the printed line
length and the margin the same over setup changes.  MacDraw sets the
width of a sheet to 8 inches or 7.5 inches.  MacWrite changes the
margin (I think), keeping the characters per line the same.  In all
these the screen accurately depicts where line breaks will come when
you print on the appropriate device.  This has nothing per se to do
with Word 3.X bugs.

However, to change this mode with Word 3.X, you have to start
printing, then cancel, since the Tall-Adjust button is in that dialog.
I hope this makes things a little clearer.
	/JBL

--
UUCP: {harvard, husc6, etc.}!bbn!levin
ARPA: levin@bbn.com

howard@amdahl.amdahl.com (The Toolmaster) (08/09/87)

Well, I got my first bomb out of Word 3.01 yesterday (its been two days of
use now, this stuff *has* gotten better :-).  I take my block of postscript
and stuff it into a NEW document in Word.  Added a .pic. on the front, styled
it all PostScript, did an Insert Graphic at the end, and let it print.  After
some chugging around, la bomba ID=02.  Any ideas?  I've also had a hellish
time trying to insert some postscript I captured from Thunderscan 4.0.  I just
can't seem to get it to print.  The local postscript expert thinks its off the
page but everything we've tried has had no effect.  Anyone try to do this and
had it work?
--
"The value of knowledge lies not in its accumulation,        Howard C. Simonson
   but in its utilization."    E. Green                      amdahl!howard

[ The disclaimer for this message may be found in a previous article ]