[comp.sys.mac] Placement of external drive

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (07/23/87)

I just got one of Apple's new external drives, the so-called Apple 3.5
Drive.  It's a little taller than the old 800K drive and a bit shorter than
the old 400K.  However, it's longer than the old drives, probably because
Apple IIs can daisy chain them.

Anyway, I post this because of something amusing.  As always, I hook up the
drive first and ask questions later.  After using the drive for a day or so,
I figured I'd peruse the owner's guide, just for laughs.  Chapter 2, "Setting
Up and Using Your Drive With a Macintosh" shows me correct drive placement in
figure 2-2.

It tells me that it is okay the put the drive on the right hand side of the Mac
and it also tells me that it's okay to put the drive on it's side.

It also tells me that it's okay to put it on the left side of the Mac.

Hey, wait a minute!  Last I knew, this was supposed to screw up disks.  Did
Apple put in some kind of shielding or something into the new Apple 3.5 Drive?

Oh, by the way, just for laughs, I think Apple should produce a colour upgrade
for the Mac.  My Apple 3.5 Drive is Battleship Grey -- excuse me, "Platinum" --
and my Macintosh is off-white.  The colour upgrade would allow me to have
a grey Macintosh to match my external drive.  Anybody know where I can get some
"Platinum" spray paint?
--
"I know what I like to do..."            Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Khaw) (07/24/87)

in article <6743@dartvax.UUCP>, merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) says:
> Oh, by the way, just for laughs, I think Apple should produce a colour upgrade
> for the Mac.  My Apple 3.5 Drive is Battleship Grey -- excuse me, "Platinum" --
> and my Macintosh is off-white.  The colour upgrade would allow me to have
> a grey Macintosh to match my external drive.  Anybody know where I can get some
> "Platinum" spray paint?

I offer the following purely for your interest/entertainment:

The July 20 (v1#11) issue of Macweek has a story on Aesthetics Technology
of Palo Alto, a company that "will make your computer look like a slab of
granite or marble, or paint it any color under the sun."  Prices are "from
$195 for basic black to $895 for faux wood or marble."

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {hplabs|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|sri-unix}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

sterritt@ge-mc3i.UUCP (Chris Sterritt) (07/26/87)

In article <6743@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
>I just got one of Apple's new external drives, the so-called Apple 3.5
>Drive. [...]
>Chapter 2, "Setting
>Up and Using Your Drive With a Macintosh" shows me correct drive placement in
>figure 2-2.
>It tells me that it is okay the put the drive on the right hand side of the Mac
>and it also tells me that it's okay to put the drive on it's side.
>It also tells me that it's okay to put it on the left side of the Mac.
>
>Hey, wait a minute!  Last I knew, this was supposed to screw up disks.  Did

For whatever it's worth, I've had my external, 400k disk on the left hand
side of my mac since july 1984, with NO problems.  Ever.  Really!
An early posting I read about this indicated that the person having troubles
was putting the drive in a bookshelf (or something) that brought the drive
up off of his desk, and he had troubles.  Mine has always been on the desk
next to the mac, and I've always had an old 3" binder that angles my mac up
towards me (instead of staring at my chest :-), so this may be why I've never
had any problems.  Now, of course, after buying a Jasmine 20Meg drive, I've
put the Jasmine on the right hand side, and the 400k disk on top of it.  No
problems in the past hour...
	--chris sterritt

cracraft@ccicpg.UUCP (Stuart Cracraft) (08/10/87)

In article <330@ge-mc3i.UUCP> sterritt@ge-mc3i.UUCP (Chris Sterritt) writes:
>For whatever it's worth, I've had my external, 400k disk on the left hand
>side of my mac since july 1984, with NO problems.  Ever.  Really!

For what it's worth, I've kept mine on the right for a couple years,
and most recently on top, between the air vents. Sometimes I leave the
Mac on for an entire day, and have observed no disk-drive problems
at all.

	Stuart