[comp.sys.mac] SFgetFile

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (01/01/70)

In article <1930@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> I wrote:
>Occasionally, you'll hit cmd-F to bring up Findswell and instead
>of what you normally get, you'll first see a copyright notice.
> ... [deleted part about its implications...]

Oops, I made a mistake on that one.  It turns out that Findswell only
displays its copyright notice the first time you you use it since
rebooting.  So after you use it once, and until you reboot next cmd-F brings
you directly to the search dialog.  Sorry for any confusion this might have
caused.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.253.35)                    |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-415-643-2953,  USPS:    2299 Piedmount Av, Berkeley CA 94720 |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

wirya@rpics.UUCP (03/29/87)

I want to use SFGetFile() from Aztec C as follows:

Point w;

SetPt(&w, 20,50);
SFGetFile(pass(w), ...);

My problem is that the dialog window is drawn with the top left corner at (0,0)
instead of at (50,20).
Did I do something wrong?  Could somebody give a pointer to what's going on?

--
Santa Wiryaman
wirya@csv.rpi.edu		ARPA

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (07/28/87)

Remember when using the old MFS, the "get file" dialog box shows you ALL
of the files on the MFS volume?  This old "feature" would be appreciated
if selectable on HFS volumes as well.  It might be activated by using
the option key or similar method.  In many cases this might replace or
augment "locator" type DAs.  If I know that the particular file was
created with Word 3.0, for example, within Word 3.0, I could hit option
when selecting "Open", and search for that file that I couldn't remember
quite where I put it (or quite what I named it).  It might save me a
trip to the finder or some multiple tries with a locator DA.

Yes, I know it might be SLOW, messy, difficult to implement, and perhaps
even confusing (eg. how to show folder paths), but I think the basic idea
is valid.
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

Charlie_Alan_Bounds@cup.portal.com (08/07/87)

Rich Straka wants to know about some way to do searches from SFGetFile.
There is a package called FindsWell from Working Software which is supposed to
add a Find button to the SFGetFile dialog box.  I know naught about it except
that it exists but it may do the job.  If anyone knows more (how it works,
problems etc.) please post it as I for one am curious.

Charlie Bounds        Charlie@cup.portal.com

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (08/08/87)

In article <577@cup.portal.com> Charlie_Alan_Bounds@cup.portal.com writes:
>Rich Straka wants to know about some way to do searches from SFGetFile.
>There is a package called FindsWell from Working Software which is supposed to
>add a Find button to the SFGetFile dialog box.  I know naught about it except
>that it exists but it may do the job.  If anyone knows more (how it works,
>problems etc.) please post it as I for one am curious.
>
>Charlie Bounds        Charlie@cup.portal.com

Okay.  I just bought FindsWell today after using the demo version of for a
few days.  Findswell is an INIT which modifies the SFGetFile such that
there's a little button on the bottom of the dialog box that says
"FindsWell."  Either hitting the button or cmd-F will bring up the FindsWell
dialog box.  From there, you can type in a name and search for files.  The
search can be matched by "any part", "first part", or exactly.  Once a file
is found you can click on it and FindsWell will display the name, path,
size, creator, type, and last modification date.  You can also open it by
double-clicking or hitting cmd-O.  The search can be stopped midway by
hitting cmd-S.  If you have several files which you use often you can check
them so that they're already there when you open FindsWell.  They also
include the "Findswell Launcher", which is just a application launcher that
displays a SFGetFile box.  You can prevent Findswell from loading itself at
boot time by holding down the shift key while the Mac boots.

After using it for a few hours it seems to work fine except for one
problem.  Occasionally, you'll hit cmd-F to bring up Findswell and instead
of what you normally get, you'll first see a copyright notice.  This can be
dismissed by clicking or typing something.  Unfortunately, this leads to a
problem.  Suppose I wanted to search by "foo" and this occasional copyright
notice comes up.  Since it usually dosen't come up, I don't expect it and
have already typed in "foo" and return for the search to start.  The first
character is eaten to dismiss the copyright notice, so I'm now searching for
"oo" instead of "foo."  Pretty obnoxious.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.253.35)                    |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-415-643-2953,  USPS:    2299 Piedmount Av, Berkeley CA 94720 |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (08/09/87)

It seems that a programmer could readily add a way to search from SFGetFile
by simply adding a "Find" button to the dialog, using the usual easy
SFGetFile hacking techniques, and then calling OpenDeskAcc on Apple's "Find
File" desk accessory.  It's not too hard (in fact, it's almost trivial) to
make a modeless desk accessory act like a modal one; just wait until the
frontmost window is no longer a DA window (using the window class field).  I
did this for a twenty-line "Login Intermail" program.  Then, after the DA
completes, tell standard file to redraw - since Find File has reset the
low-memory globals for where standard file last was, this ought to be
sufficient.

Of course, this has to be done on an application by application basis -
Findswell is an INIT that plays some funky games with the standard file
package so the Find button is always there, reagrdless.  This is a better
solution in some ways.
--
Tim Maroney, {ihnp4,sun,well,ptsfa,lll-crg,frog}!hoptoad!tim (uucp)
hoptoad!tim@lll-crg (arpa)

dudek@utai.UUCP (08/10/87)

In article <1857@ihlpf.ATT.COM> straka@ihlpf.UUCP (55223-Straka,R.J.) writes:
>... "locator" type DAs.  If I know that the particular file was
>created with Word 3.0, for example, within Word 3.0, I could hit option
>when selecting "Open", and search for that file that I couldn't remember
>quite where I put it (or quite what I named it).  It might save me a
>trip to the finder or some multiple tries with a locator DA.

    I recently came across a shareware DA called "trojan menu" that
turns out to be very handy as a partial solution to this problem.  By
holding down a bunch of keys, an init that comes with this DA allows
you to get access to all the normal DAs even from within
a modal dialog.  When you're done, you can revert back to the modal
diaglog you were in before.
    Of course, you still need to use a "locator" DA.  Preferably one
that allows you to set the document type.
    Greg Dudek
--
Dept. of Computer Science (vision group)    University of Toronto
Usenet:	{linus, ihnp4, allegra, decvax, floyd}!utcsri!dudek