[comp.sys.mac] mac problems

sdb@sfsup.UUCP (S.Brener) (07/30/87)

When I try to boot my 128K MAC from some disks I get a frowning face
sitting on top of a 0f0064 error code on a blank screen.
Once the system is booted inserting some
disks causes the error: 'this disk is unreadable to appear'.

Any suggestions? Are bad drives common on MACS?

tomas@apple.UUCP (Tom Taylor) (07/31/87)

In article <1712@sfsup.UUCP> sdb@sfsup.UUCP (S.Brener) writes:
>When I try to boot my 128K MAC from some disks I get a frowning face
>sitting on top of a 0f0064 error code on a blank screen.
>Once the system is booted inserting some
>disks causes the error: 'this disk is unreadable to appear'.
>
>Any suggestions? Are bad drives common on MACS?

Could you be possibly trying to stick a double-sided (800k) disk
into the single-sided (400k) disk drive found in a 128k Mac?

Tom Taylor/Development Systems Group

derek@mind.UUCP (Derek Gross) (08/04/87)

In a couple articles, people write:
>in article <1712@sfsup.UUCP>, sdb@sfsup.UUCP (S.Brener) says:
>>
>> When I try to boot my 128K MAC from some disks I get a frowning face
>> sitting on top of a 0f0064 error code on a blank screen.
>> Once the system is booted inserting some
>> disks causes the error: 'this disk is unreadable to appear'.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Are bad drives common on MACS?
>
> It's probably the disks, not the drive.

My 512e's internal 800k drive is definitely bad - it will not accept disks
which work on other computers and on my external drive.  One minute it was
working and I shut it down, the next minute it refused to reboot.

I don't think there's really anything I can do other than take it in for
for repair and hope it doesn't cost too much, but does anyone have any
suggestions?  (Either what's wrong or what I can do.)

Derek Gross
derek@mind.princeton.edu ...seismo!princeton!mind!derek

omh@nancy.UUCP (08/04/87)

In article <112@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>in article <1712@sfsup.UUCP>, sdb@sfsup.UUCP (S.Brener) says:
>>
>> When I try to boot my 128K MAC from some disks I get a frowning face
>> sitting on top of a 0f0064 error code on a blank screen.
>> Once the system is booted inserting some
>> disks causes the error: 'this disk is unreadable to appear'.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Are bad drives common on MACS?

[suggestions about bad disks ]

Sounds like a bug I ran into when making up a Master disk that cost me some
money...

Seems that [at least sometimes] when you create new boot blocks by dragging
a System and Finder onto a fresh disk, you may find that the blocks are
unreadable on old ROM macs. Scenario:  You're running the latest finder/system
on your MacPlus and you create a new disk.  You copy onto the disk the
old System/Finder 2.0/4.1 so that it can be read by 128K macs too [needless
to say this is a 400K disk!].  Surprise!  The boot blocks don't come from
the old system/finder, but from the one on your hard disk!  It seems that
the old Roms don't think too highly of the new boot blocks teamed up with
the old system/finder! [as in sad mac 0f0064].

Well, when you advertise that your product works on all sizes Macs, and you
ship a bunch of these things out to your customers...

Moral:  If you want to make sure that your product runs under all weathers,
make certain you're running the same System/Finder that you're installing!

Fix: If you've got the 128K and some sad mac disks, boot up with a fresh
system disk, get the suspect disk as the second disk on the desktop, and
throw away the System/Finder on the suspect disk, and copy in your good
system/finder.  Naturally, make a copy of the suspect disk first and use the
copy!!!

-Owen

Owen Hartnett
Brown University Computer Science

omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
omh%cs.brown.edu@relay.cs.net-relay.ARPA
{ihnp4,allegra}!brunix!omh

klash@uvicctr.UUCP (Karl B. Klashinsky) (08/11/87)

I have a 128K Mac (now upgraded, at last).  The symptoms you describe
are IDENTICAL to the symptoms I encountered when mine was still a
128K.  Worst of all, the errors appear to occur randomly (that is, not
all the time).

Most likely, it is the disk drive.  It was for me.  It took me a while
to nail it down.  The local Apple dealership ran the Mac diagnostic
program through my machine, and it (the program) claimed that my
Mac was a-ok.  Take it home, plug it in, and it doesn't work!  So,
don't be surprised if the same happens with yours.

Karl

--
Karl Klashinsky                         "Gee, I wish I could find a
University of Victoria                  neat quote to put in my