[comp.sys.mac] Orphaned Tecmar Macdrive

bfalk@mipos3.UUCP (Bill Falk ~) (08/03/87)

     I am in the unfortunate situation of the mac world passing me by...
Several years ago, I purchased one of the original hard disks for the
Mac, a 10MB Tecmar Macdrive (non-SCSI).  It has been loyal and dependable,
but bombs on the latest version of Finder/System.  Since Tecmar is now
defunct, I have a few questions for the net:

  1) Does anyone have a patch to allow the new Finder/System to work?
  2) Are owners of a Macdrive doomed to extinction and better off
     dumping the drive and getting a SCSI drive?
  3) I read a long time ago on the net that someone thought that the
     Macdrive contained SCSI internally and was attempting to make it
     Apple SCSI compatible.  Any success?
  4) Any other Tecmar owners interested in forming an orphaned disk
     group to help each other out?

Thanks.
--

Bill Falk, Coprocessor Design, Intel Corp., Santa Clara, California
uucp:{hplabs|decwrl|amdcad|qantel|pur-ee|scgvaxd|oliveb}!intelca!mipos3!bfalk

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (08/04/87)

In article <866@mipos3.UUCP> bfalk@mipos3.UUCP (Bill Falk ~) writes:

>     I am in the unfortunate situation of the mac world passing me by...
>Several years ago, I purchased one of the original hard disks for the
>Mac, a 10MB Tecmar Macdrive (non-SCSI).  It has been loyal and dependable,
>but bombs on the latest version of Finder/System.  Since Tecmar is now
>defunct, I have a few questions for the net:

>  3) I read a long time ago on the net that someone thought that the
>     Macdrive contained SCSI internally and was attempting to make it
>     Apple SCSI compatible.  Any success?
>  4) Any other Tecmar owners interested in forming an orphaned disk
>     group to help each other out?
>
>--
>Bill Falk, Coprocessor Design, Intel Corp., Santa Clara, California
>uucp:{hplabs|decwrl|amdcad|qantel|pur-ee|scgvaxd|oliveb}!intelca!mipos3!bfalk
>csnet/arpanet: bfalk@mipos3.intel.com   bfalk@mipos3.UUCP (Bill Falk ~)

3.  Yep, that's me.  I've been so busy with work that I have not even taken
the cable over to the instrument shop to get the connectors installed.
Hopefully it'll get done soon.
4.  Sure!  Tecmar is still in business and close enough to work that I
might go bang on some folks there.  The founders are good friends/former
students/once-upon-a-time summer secretary ....

The cursory visual inspection of the unit DOES indicate an SCSI interface.
The controller board in my unit (10 Meg fixed, 5 Meg removable) is a
well-known (forgotten for the moment) commerical product (non-Tecmar), but
has a PROM that determines its characteristics.  I'll try to keep all
interested parties informed once I get going on it again.

Rob Lake
decvax!cwruecmp!nitrex!rbl
ihnp4!cbosgd!cwruecmp!nitrex!rbl

nyberg@ut-ngp.UUCP (Full Name) (08/08/87)

not too long ago, I heard about some software upgrade - but as I no
longer own a Tecmar, I was not very attentive.  If noone else can
report anything about it, I still know where I can get more info about
this matter ...
			---Werner

rbl@nitrex.UUCP (08/10/87)

In article <5835@ut-ngp.UUCP> nyberg@ut-ngp.UUCP (Full Name) writes:
>not too long ago, I heard about some software upgrade - but as I no
>longer own a Tecmar, I was not very attentive.  If noone else can
>report anything about it, I still know where I can get more info about
>this matter ...
>			---Werner

I have an upgrade from about 12 months (?) ago.  Will check it and
post information to the net.

Rob Lake

macbeth@artecon.artecon.UUCP (Beckwith) (08/11/87)

-
-4.  Sure!  Tecmar is still in business and close enough to work that I
-might go bang on some folks there.  The founders are good friends/former
-students/once-upon-a-time summer secretary ....
-
-Rob Lake
-decvax!cwruecmp!nitrex!rbl
-ihnp4!cbosgd!cwruecmp!nitrex!rbl

Count me in, guys. My Macdrive is still clunking along, but it would sure
be nice to juice it up somehow. Please let me know how we can stay current.
Thanks.
--
+ David Macy-Beckwith  Artecon, Inc. {sdcsvax,hplabs}!hp-sdd!artecon!macbeth  +
+ The Company has enough on its plate    || "Dying is hard, but doing comedy  +