[comp.sys.mac] More on "More on 'improving' Finder"

schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen the Greatest) (08/12/87)

In article <13888@topaz.rutgers.edu> rubin@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mike Rubin) writes:
>Why has nobody mentioned in this discussion the various DA's for
>viewing text and MacPaint files?  Or am I missing something?

Hello,

I am the original poster of "More on 'improving' Finder."  I have indeed
received some suggestions to some useful DAs, one too many.  For MacWrite
files, I'll need "View," for plain text files, I can use "MockWrite," for
Microsoft Word files, Well, tough, go buy the program.  Can't complain about
MacPaint files, really, 'cause neither UN*X nor MSDOS has any utility to display
bitmap files--i.e. you need a special program just like in the Mac.  But for
text files, I still prefer "cat <filename>"  Sure I'll sometimes get unintelli-
gible junks.  (Somebody told me to try "cd /usr/bin" and "cat *" something a
UN*X users--not necessarily programmers--won't do)  But the point is,
at least I can *DO* something with the file, see what's in it, try to figure out
something  (like you can sort of make out a WordStar file, even with the funny
characters.)  That is to say, within in its limitation--as all programs have
limitations, even Mac programs--the UN*X and MSDOS tools do not *restrict* you.

OK, some wordprocessors string sentences together and I can't see them all
in the screen; so, I'll write a short program to cut sentences--and for that
matter one to strip the eight bit--and do "strip <file> |cutshort |cat"  Can I
do pipping on the Mac?  No!  I have to wait for each program to load, go to the
menu bar, pull down a menu, wait to be asked some questions and wait for the
file to be loaded, and the screen painted, etc.  Recurse three times if I have
to use binhex, packit, and Microsoft Word.  The other thing I don't know how to
do on the Mac is "mv <file>?.* chapter1"  I said "move" not "copy and erase,"
another DA?  Yes, I have heard of "DiskTop" and certainly love it, even though
I have to go back to the menu bar and pull down a menu and do several selecting
and clicking.  Hopefully "Suitcase" can be as exhilarating as I have heard so
far.

sugih jamin