[comp.sys.mac] use of accent keys:

michael@vuecho.psy.vu.nl (Michael Felt) (08/14/87)

In article <1912@ihlpf.ATT.COM> straka@ihlpf.UUCP (55223-Straka,R.J.) writes:
>In article <2771@crcge1.UUCP> ranson@crcge1.UUCP writes:
>>
>>- Don't use "accent" keys (`, ^, ~, etc) for anything but typing words in.
>>On French keyboards, they are DEAD keys. For instance, to switch the display
>>under MacsBug, I must press ` twice.

The problem addressed here is that there are different keyboards, and
nearly always have been. Inside Mac shows two (US and International).
With the SE and Mac II and Desktop Bus this problem isn't simplier.

I use VersaTerm (1.42) a lot and am accustommed to hitting ` twice
for escape. I assume that key was chosen, at least in part, due
to its LOCATION (upper left) on the orig. US keyboard.

Suggestion (I haven't seen (i.e., received) the new guidelines):
	Let the user configure the 'special' keys.

>How will A/UX on the Mac II work with these restrictions?  For example,
>the UNIX shell commonly uses the ` and ~ keys for important purposes.
>Or will clover or opt-clover keys need to be used to dummy-up these keys?

Option already does that for ^. Tilde (~) and ` have always allowed
a double stroke to output them. If you don't follow them with a key
that is defined as a 'follow accent key, ("aeiou")' then the accent key
is echoed as itself. With KeyCaps try the following: "`a`e`i`o`u`y"
and you should see what I mean.

Like I said above, I am accustomed to hitting them twice. Then I know
what I am getting. The problem is using a 'standard' terminal
(vt100, ampex, etc).