[comp.sys.mac] New Kermit [version 0.8

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) (08/08/87)

A new version of Macintosh Kermit is now available for FTP'ing from
Columbia University.  It calls itself "CKMKER 0.8(35)" [the version
we've been using for the last year was 0.8(34)], and is essentially a
Megamax C port of C-Kermit 4D(061).  I've FTP'ed and BinHex'ed it, and
it seems to run fine on a Mac Plus under System 3.2/Finder 5.3.  I'm
not sure whether it will run under 4.1/5.4 in its present form;  it
may require the infamous 02B6->0A78 patch.  I haven't tried it on an
SE (should probably work) or a II (dunno...).

0.8(35) is a few percent larger than 0.8(34), and seems to behave in
an essentially identical fashion;  I didn't see any new features.

In the same Info-Kermit digest, Frank has announced the availability
of a new C-Kermit kernel, called 4E(066).  This version supports long
packets (but not sliding windows), improved performance, and a number
of significant bug fixes.  Frank is looking for volunteers to merge
the Macintosh support code from the Megamax 0.8(35) version with the
C-Kermit code from 4E(066), so that Mac owners can take advantage of
the new Kermit features.  He's also interested in seeing if the code
could be ported to LightSpeed or MPW C.  If you have any of these
compilers, and would be willing to invest some time in this
upgrade/port effort, please contact Frank by sending mail to
Info-Kermit@cu20b.columbia.edu at your convenience (he's about to go
on vacation and will be away for several weeks).

rhc@ptsfa.UUCP (08/14/87)

Dave Platt writes:
>A new version of Macintosh Kermit is now available for FTP'ing from
>Columbia University.  It calls itself "CKMKER 0.8(35)" [the version

Dave,
How about posting the binary to comp.mac.binaries?  Many (most?) of
us don't have access to FTP and would appreciate someone who can
posting the program.

Thanks in advance!!

--

Robert Cohen San Ramon, California {ihnp4,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!rhc

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (08/14/87)

Sounds like a good idea... I'll pull down the BinHex files for Kermit,
the keyboard remapper, and whatever any other interesting stuff
(limited documentation, etc.) and zap it off later today if I have the
opportunity.

BTW, for those of you who do have Internet anonymous-FTP capability,
the files are on CU20B.Columbia.Edu as "KER:XKMKER.HQX" (Kermit
itself) and "KER:XKMKEY.HQX" (KermKey).  Sorry I didn't mention this
last time around...