[comp.sys.mac] $49 System Software Update -- Query

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (08/13/87)

After hearing about the $49 upgrade for various new Macintosh software, I
have a question or two:

a)  Is it $49 for the Multi-Finder, $49 for HyperCard, etc., or is it ALL
    this new software for $49?

b)  Apple mentions that this is distributable from electronic download
    sources and user groups.  Does this mean that these authorized BBSs/user
    groups can distribute them for free?

Appreciate any help on this...

                                "I love America.  Electricity right from the
                                 wall, anytime you want it."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

fry@huma1.HARVARD.EDU (David Fry) (08/13/87)

In article <1484@sputnik.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>After hearing about the $49 upgrade for various new Macintosh software, I
>have a question or two:
>
>a)  Is it $49 for the Multi-Finder, $49 for HyperCard, etc., or is it ALL
>    this new software for $49?

I'm pretty sure it's $49 for Multifinder and another $49 for
HyperCard.

>b)  Apple mentions that this is distributable from electronic download
>    sources and user groups.  Does this mean that these authorized BBSs/user
>    groups can distribute them for free?

This is true to the best of my knowledge, by Hypercard, for
instance, comes in a four disk set so that's a bunch of
downloading.  And then there's the documentation...

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138

bc@apple.UUCP (bill coderre) (08/14/87)

As I best understand it, what you pay the $49 for is the manuals,
disk media, dealer service, a nice box, etc.

Hypercard is 4 800K disks FULL of stuff (over 2 Meg of useful bits)
and a very big manual. Hypercard is supposed to be "free for
distribution costs."

The System Tools upgrade is also four disks. I don't know what's on
them.

Note that you still cannot legally use these programs on
non-Macintosh computers. You cannot sell copies of the programs, just
your own single copy, etc. Read the software licensing agreement for
more details.

I suppose if you wanted to download this stuff, it's okay. But if you
want to go to a dealer, get the shrink wrap and nice manuals, it will
cost you the $49. I still think it will cost more to download the
stuff and xerox the manuals than it would to buy it in the store.

I remember the arguments about the $100 fee for the original Inside
Mac. Please let's not do THAT again.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bc