[comp.sys.mac] 36 DAs

schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU (08/08/87)

Hello,

Could somebody tell me how to increase the DA limit to 36?
According to the August 1987 edition of MacWorld,
there is an article in Compuserve that tells one how to do this.
But I don't have access to Compuserve.  Could someone who
have this article send me a copy?
The article is called "Installing more DAs" by William P. Steinberg
(Compuserve ID #76703,1027).  If you don't have the article but
know of a way to add DAs, I'll like to hear from you also.

Please e-mail me, I'll summarize if I get anything,
last time I called for help nobody answered.

sugih jamin
(schung@cory.berkeley.edu)

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (08/08/87)

There's a shareware program due called 'Suitcase' which makes any number
of da's or fonts without having to install them.  100 da's in a scrolling
menu? no problem.  Word I hear is 'soon'.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (08/08/87)

In article <3632@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:
>There's a shareware program due called 'Suitcase' which makes any number
>of da's or fonts without having to install them.  100 da's in a scrolling
>menu? no problem.  Word I hear is 'soon'.
>--

Actually, Suitecase isn't shareware.  Its a commercial product to be shown
and sold at MacWorld.  It'll retail for about $60 though I understand that
there is a special price for the show (and people who buy before the show)
at $40.

I have no relation with Suitecase except that I plan to order a copy for
myself.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.253.35)                    |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-415-643-2953,  USPS:    2299 Piedmount Av, Berkeley CA 94720 |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

felix@Whitney (Francois Felix INGRAND) (08/10/87)

The answer is in MAC USER April 1987.
The paper is entitled: One DA at a time, they describe a patch to modify
Font/DA Mover. The idea is to add DA in place of:
- SCSI Driver slots which are not used,
- DA (applications) slots
- and in some other places not used by any driver.
You need a ResEdit and Fedit.

According to Werner Uhrig (CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU), it is not
safe to install a DA in the Slot 41.

I have at this moment 27 DAs in my Apple Menu, and it works FINE...

-- Felix
Francois Felix INGRAND       (-: Pourquoi tant de haine... :-(     \ | /
UUCP: ...{mcvax,inria}!lifia!felix                 EDIKA            \|/ >
      ...{mcvax,inria}!imag!felix                                  ( O: )
ARPA: felix@ai.sri.com                                              /|\ >
      felix@whitney.stanford.edu                                   / | \

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (08/13/87)

Billy's article was all well and good for the adventurous folk.  It worked in
most cases but could still cause some problems if you happened to be running
on a network or something similar due to DRVR contention.  The proper way to
do this now is to purchase Suitcase, a product of Software Supply (Steve
Brecher).  With this INIT, you have access to a virtually unlimited number of
DAs (and Fonts) without performing surgery on your System file or ever even
using the Font/DA Mover.  Just move the Fonts and DAs you want in their little
suitcase files into the appropriate folders in your Blessed Folder, et voila,
they are available in any application which uses AddResMenu to build DA or Font
lists (the approved and virtually universal method).

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
--------------------------
Disclaimer:  Any opinions above are my own.  I have no connection with Software
	Supply other than as an expectant customer.

russell@acf3.UUCP (08/15/87)

Plus you get Pyro! (by Billy, as fate would would have it) which is the
current state-of-the-art blanker, and according to the Suitcase manual
(I haven't tried it yet) you can also bundle "snd " resources with
Suitcase with a ONE WORD mod to something in the System Folder. And a
coherent manual by Robert Wiggins.  Buy it.
-r (Richard Reich as russell@nyu.arpa)
(No connection with Software Supply except that all these guys are
friends of mine and great people.)
From: russell@acf3.NYU.EDU (Bill Russell)
Date: 15-Aug-87 00:14 EDT
Subject: Re: Lack of Macintosh software outlets?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

I'm about 2500 miles from ComputerWare and they're my local store --
their shipping and inventory control is first-rate.  Forget Apple dealers.]
There are horror stories of dealers CHARGING for Apple system upgrades, etc.
Just sh*t-can the dealer concept and deal with efficient, courteous, honest
guys like CW.  Get your upgrades from friends.
From: russell@acf3.NYU.EDU (Bill Russell)
Date: 15-Aug-87 00:42 EDT
Subject: Re: More on Byte Benchmarks (mild flamage, sorry)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

The simple fact (the fact is unbiased, though I'm not) is that the
Byte article was _extremely_ poor journalism and equally poor
experimental science -- it is impossible from the information in
the article to recreate the test conditions and verify Byte's
"results".
-r (Richard Reich as russell@nyu, who is not a scientist, but
_did_ study enough philosophy of science to recognize complete
crap when it jumps out of Byte magazine....)