[comp.sys.mac] Software for Doctors

rre@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Velveteen Rabbit Corps) (08/12/87)

My father, a pediatrician, wants to computerize is accounting procedures,
and in general something that will help him around the office (eg. print
mailing labels)

If I sound vague, it's because he doesn't seem to realize that I can know
what I'm talking about when it comes to computers, and he'd rather go off and
buy $9000 IBM-compatable+software that a hospital is offering to the doctors,
instead of listening to me.

Does anyone know of any software geared specifically for managing practices?
As this is being cross-posted to the apple (because I have one and might sell
mine to him for something more powerful), mac, and ibm boards, please include
what computer the software will run on, and what hardware is necessary/useful.

Thanks,
Roger Espinosa
ihnp4!ihlpg!rre

--
		Roger R. Espinosa
		Live from the Rabbit Ranch

lincoln@randvax.UUCP (Tom Lincoln) (08/17/87)

In article <3634@ihlpg.ATT.COM> rre@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Velveteen Rabbit Corps) writes:

>My father, a pediatrician, wants to computerize is accounting procedures,
>and in general something that will help him around the office (eg. print
>mailing labels)
>
>Does anyone know of any software geared specifically for managing practices?
>As this is being cross-posted to the apple (because I have one and might sell
>mine to him for something more powerful), mac, and ibm boards, please include
>what computer the software will run on, and what hardware is necessary/useful.

First, there are an enormous number of software packages out there, with
various pedigrees. There is a Directory of Computer Systems and Services
for Medical and Dental Practices that lists more than 2000 products
categorized by specialty. IT is available from Burgess Communications, 2455
Bennett Valley Road, Suite 212A, Santa Rosa, CA 95404 (707/523-7533) or
1-800-328-5727. Price ~$30. Another source would be Richard A. Polacsek,MD,
Professor of Medical Bibliography, Johns Hopkins University Medical School,
 Welsh Medical Library, 1900 E. Monument St, Baltimore, MD 21205 (301/955-
3594). In a sense, this is the same source.

A widely respected package running on XTs, ATs and clones is MEDICAL
MANAGER, which is configured by many different local groups. (In general,
local requirements dominate, because each state is a law unto itself,
and every Blue Cross is different.) This, and many other packages, offer
medical record management and patient scheduling. The problem in pediatrics
is the complexity of family relationships - including who is paying for
what. There may be several responsible working parents, who may or may not
be married to each other at present. When a bill is only incompletely paid,
and there are several responsible physicians and other health professional
who should share the payment, how this should be credited can be complex
in detail. Matching government payments to specific bills for services can
sometimes be a complicated exercise in resolving ambiguity... etc.

Automating an office is a task that should not be undertaken lightly, and
there is no equivalent of instant coffee....

Good LUCK!

 p q
 \|/
 /|\   TOM LINCOLN  lincoln@rand-unix.ARPA
 \|/  "Life is short, art is long, opportunity fugitive,
 /|\   experimenting dangerous, reasoning difficult."