[comp.sys.mac] Hypercard - How About New Mac Owners

howard@mtunj.UUCP (08/14/87)

This message is directed mainly at those at Apple who might be listening...

The Apple reps at MacWorld Expo said that as of the show any Macs sold
got HyperCard FREE! However previous mac owners had to pay the $49.95 for
it.

My question to them is this: I bought an SE a week before the show. Can I
still get HyperCard gratis or is that one week going to cost me $50 (+/- .50)?
		Howard Moskovitz
	AT&T Bell Labs @ Liberty Corner, NJ
		ihnp4!io!howard

In article <36@mtunj.ATT.COM> howard@mtunj.ATT.COM (H. Moskovitz) writes:
>My question to them is this: I bought an SE a week before the show. Can I
>still get HyperCard gratis or is that one week going to cost me $50 (+/- .50)?

I've seen a couple of people ask this, and it seems kind of silly.
Unless Apple decides to punt the $50 charge completely, they've got to
have some cutoff date.  And if they do, then there will always be
people who bought their machines the day before and will feel screwed.
Well, that's life.

Last year, when car dealers were going crazy with their incentives,
I'm sure a large number of people bought cars on the day before a
manufacturer decided to offer 0% financing.  Do you think they should
be able to run back to the dealer and ask for it, too?  Or if you buy
a suit the day before the store has a sale on suits, are you entitled
to the sale price?  Sorry, that's not how such things work.

You bought your Mac a week before the show.  I'm sure there were
people who were at their dealers buying Macs while the show was going
on, and they probably didn't get MultiFinder and HyperCard, either.
Sorry.

Here's an idea, though (I'm somewhat ashamed I thought of it): Your
Mac may bwe new enough that you could return it and get a refund.
Return it, then go to another dealer and buy a new one, which should
include the new software.  I hope you can find a dealer that offers
the same or better price (or at least, less than $50 more).

---
Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
seismo!think!barmar

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (08/18/87)

In article <7594@think.UUCP> barmar@godot.think.com.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:
>In article <36@mtunj.ATT.COM> howard@mtunj.ATT.COM (H. Moskovitz) writes:
>>My question to them is this: I bought an SE a week before the show. Can I
>>still get HyperCard gratis or is that one week going to cost me $50 (+/- .50)?
>
>I've seen a couple of people ask this, and it seems kind of silly.
>Unless Apple decides to punt the $50 charge completely, they've got to
>have some cutoff date.  And if they do, then there will always be
>people who bought their machines the day before and will feel screwed.
>Well, that's life.
[...alot of cutoff date examples deleted...]

While I agree with you regarding the cutoff dates, you should remember that
in the past Apple has been pretty nice to people who missed a cutoff date.
The particular instance I'm refering to was back when the 512k "Fat" Mac
first came out.  I bought the Apple 128k->512k upgrad when it first came out
and retailed for $900.  A bit later, I (think about a month), Apple dropped
the price down to $700, but they offered everyone who bought the upgrade in
the interm period MacDraw and MacProject.  So there is some precedent for
Apple being nice to people who just missed a cutoff date.

Christopher Chow
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-253-6699,  USPS: 7122 N. Campus 7, Ithaca, NY 14853      |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |