[comp.sys.mac] Word 3.01 notes

udell@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Jon Udell) (08/06/87)

Following are following observations from two days using Word 3.01.

BUGS FIXED:
    Expanded character formatting:
	Now works with tab leaders

    Saving:
	Save as, make backup now appears to work correctly

REMAINING BUGS:
    Side by Side Paragraphs:
	Does not handle complex arrangements like below:
	   _______________________
	  |            |          |
	  |            |          |
	  |            |__________|
	  |            |     |    |
	  |            |     |    |
	  |____________|_____|____|
	The top of the lower right paragraph will align with the top of the
	paragraph above it.

    Expanded character formatting:
	Underlined text has gaps in the underline.

    Printing:
	After printing back-to-front, the first page prints repeatedly

    Reducing Graphics:
	MacDraw graphics are distorted when shrunk.  May be a MacDraw problem.

NEW BUGS:
    Fractional Width Printing:
	Does not center text correctly.  Long lines tend to overrun the
	right margin.  (I've only tried this with Bold text.)

    Reducing Graphics:
	Reduced Excel charts don't line up correctly.  In some places the
	fill of a bar chart overlaps its boundary slightly, making the
	boundary look ragged.

CHANGES I CONSIDER BUGS:
    Paragraph formats:
	When "space before" is specified, it always shows up on the page.
	In previous versions, it would be ignored if the line was at the
	top of a page.

    Multiple columns:
	The last page of a multiple-column document no longer has balanced
	columns.

Despite all the bugs, I still feel that Word is a good program.

Jon
udell@shasta.stanford.edu

socha@drivax.UUCP (Henri J. Socha (x6251)) (08/07/87)

In article <1916@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> udell@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Jon Udell) writes:
>Following are following observations from two days using Word 3.01.

>CHANGES I CONSIDER BUGS:
>    Paragraph formats:
>	When "space before" is specified, it always shows up on the page.
>	In previous versions, it would be ignored if the line was at the
>	top of a page.

 Maybe this was the only way they could fix the bug in 3.0 that I found.
 If you had space above (however generated) and tabs generating vertical
bars. In 3.0, the vertical bars would appear above the top of the column
or page.  I.E over top of text in the HEADER!  Now this definitely was a bug.

Soon as 3.01 arrived, I ran the text through re-paginate and the problem solved.
But yes, at the top of a column, the space before should be eliminated
(and any vertical bar not printed.)

ANOTHER BUG FIXED.

I built a small 3x3 table with vertical bars/boxes around all the text.
In 3.0 when passed through print merge, the lines (boxes) disappeared.
This has been fixed in 3.01.  My boxes remains.

BTW run stuff through print merge and pull in  <<include text files>>.
They were  Lighspeed C and Pascal text files in my case, never edited by Word.
I don't think this is done right.  Their style seems to still be taken from
the Word DEFAULT Normal style.  Not the including file  Normal style
or (as I would prefer) the style of the  <<INCLUDE file>> string.
(May be wrong, did not do extensive tests on this one - yet.)
--
UUCP:...!amdahl!drivax!socha                                      WAT Iron'75
"Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler."  A. Einstein

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (08/10/87)

In article <1916@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> udell@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Jon Udell) writes:

>CHANGES I CONSIDER BUGS:
>
>    Multiple columns:
>	The last page of a multiple-column document no longer has balanced
>	columns.

You can add a blank section (containing only a space, say) and force the section
above, with the multiple columns, to balance.

>Despite all the bugs, I still feel that Word is a good program.

I agree.

--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.

mcdo@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Thomas Fenger McDougal) (08/18/87)

Another "Fixes that I call bugs" gripe that will probably get less
sympathy than any of the others.

I've been teaching myself the Dvorak keyboard with the help of a modified
system file that remaps the keyboard.  Word 3.0 does some of its own
mapping, with strange results: Option key commands are QWERTY,
Command-shift commands are QWERTY, unshifted Command-keys are DVORAK.
Bizarre, but I've gotten pretty fast and could do anything from the
keyboard except Undo (command-Z).  Don't ask me why Word had to mess
with that.  Works fine with MacDraw.

Now I've discovered that Word 3.01 takes away the Paste command from me
(command-V).  That is now the QWERTY Command-peroid, for cancel.

Is everyone thoroughly confused now?

Believe it or not, I'll probably hang onto Word 3.0.  The paste command is
awfully useful...

By the way, for anyone contemplating trying to learn DVORAK, it really
does *not* ruin you for normal typing, and it can be much faster.

If anybody can tell me how to fix this I'll send you a box of
Frango mints!

--
--Tom McDougal                      mcdougal@anubis.uchicago.edu
                                 ...!ihnp4!gargoyle!mcdougal