[comp.sys.mac] New Mac Owner-type Needs Help

rre@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Velveteen Rabbit Corps) (08/14/87)

A friend of mine is buying a Mac Plus soon, and he wants me to help him
plot what software he should buy (he knows nothing about computers, I'm the
CS major).

His needs are: 1. a word processor
               2. a paint program

The word processor is the most important aspect to him. Programs Plus sells
MacWrite for $99, and there wasn't anything cheaper I could recognize. Does
anyone out there know/have experience with anything other than MacWrite that's
less expensive? He also wants a spelling checker, so any help on which one
is good would be hepful too.

On the paint program, FullPaint lists in the catalog for less than MacPaint.
Is this a good deal? (I know the FullPaint ads say "We succeed MacPaint" but
what is the reality?)

And what games did you first buy as a new Mac owner?

ONE MORE QUESTION! Are there any programs that can let the MAc display the
Greek alphabet?

I know, lots of questions, lots of questions.

Thanks in advance,
Roger Espinosa

--
		Roger R. Espinosa
		Live from the Rabbit Ranch

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (08/15/87)

>A friend of mine is buying a Mac Plus soon, and he wants me to help him
>plot what software he should buy (he knows nothing about computers, I'm the
>CS major).
>
>His needs are: 1. a word processor
>               2. a paint program
>

>The word processor is the most important aspect to him. Programs Plus sells
>MacWrite for $99, and there wasn't anything cheaper I could recognize.

Does he want good, or cheap?  If decent/cheap is the basis, then look at
WriteNow.  Better than macwrite, good reports on the net, but nowhere near
the power or flexibility of Word.

If he needs a serious, heavy duty word processor, look at Word 3.01.

both of these, I believe, have built in spell checkers.  If not, I recommend
Spellswell.

To a good degree, you'll find you get what you pay for.

>On the paint program, FullPaint lists in the catalog for less than MacPaint.

Fullpaint is a good, solid product.  I also find I've never bothered to use
it since I bought Superpaint, which is the same price and blows it away in
functionality and toys.  Buy superpaint.

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

We live and learn, but not the wiser grow -- John Pomfret (1667-1703)

hallett@macbeth.steinmetz (Jeff R Hallett) (08/17/87)

In article <3656@ihlpg.ATT.COM> rre@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Velveteen Rabbit
Corps) writes:

>The word processor is the most important aspect to him. Programs Plus sells
>MacWrite for $99, and there wasn't anything cheaper I could recognize. Does
>anyone out there know/have experience with anything other than MacWrite that's
>less expensive? He also wants a spelling checker, so any help on which one
>is good would be hepful too.

Granted MacWrite is the great-grandad of all  Mac word processors, and
like it  or  not, probably has  the  definitive interface for  Mac WP.
Howevers, there are a lot of WP's on the market now.  For a little bit
more,   your friend  could be   WriteNow.    This has gotten excellent
reviews and is a tad more flexible than MacWrite.  I'm  not sure if it
has   a spell checker, but I'd   recommend MacLightning if it doesn't.
MacLightning has an  interactive checker  that is  very nice,  but  it
doesn't make very good suggestions (doesn't matter to me; I  just want
to know if the word is misspelled.)

>On the paint program, FullPaint lists in the catalog for less than MacPaint.
>Is this a good deal? (I know the FullPaint ads say "We succeed MacPaint" but
>what is the reality?)

FullPaint is an excellent paint program.  It stands probably a head
over MacPaint.  FullPaint is a superset of MacPaint; it looks a great
deal like MacPaint but adds some functionality.

>And what games did you first buy as a new Mac owner?

Sargon (you may want to try  Chessmaster 2000 instead)  , Skyfox, Lode
Runner, Transylvanian (you  may  want to  try Shadowgate  or Uninvited
instead of this).  However, there are some  even  better ones out now.
Some of the shareware ones  are even better  than the  commercial ones
(Megaroids, MacLanding).

>ONE MORE QUESTION! Are there any programs that can let the MAc display the
>Greek alphabet?

all of them.  Get the Symbol font.

>I know, lots of questions, lots of questions.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Roger Espinosa
>
>--
>		Roger R. Espinosa
>		Live from the Rabbit Ranch
>		ihnp4!ihlpg!rre

Jeffrey A. Hallett               (hallett@ge-crd.arpa   hallett@desdemona.uucp)
Software Technology Program
General Electric Corporate Research and Development

"The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"

                                 -- Kirk  (STIII)
Disclaimer:  My opinions do not represent my employer's, but it is his fault
             for giving me this thing.

esf00@amdahl.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) (08/18/87)

In article <3656@ihlpg.ATT.COM> rre@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Velveteen Rabbit Corps) writes:

>His needs are: 1. a word processor
>               2. a paint program
>
>The word processor is the most important aspect to him.

Spend the money and get Microsoft Word 3.01 and SuperPaint.

Word is not perfect (:-)) but has everything that he'll need to write
papers over his college career (except the ideas).  It includes a spelling
checker that will catch most mispellings of longer common words.
There are also enough users of Word that he can readily find sympathy,
answers to his "how do I ..." questions, and books written for a third
grade (or MBA) mentality on everthing that humans can do with Word.

SuperPaint costs $59 at most discount outlets and is worth the $$.
--

Elliott S Frank    ...!{hplabs,ames,seismo,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
                or ....!{bnrmtv,drivax,hoptoad}!amdahl!esf00

[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]

darryl@ism780c.UUCP (08/18/87)

In article <25690@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
<>A friend of mine is buying a Mac Plus soon, and he wants me to help him
<>plot what software he should buy (he knows nothing about computers, I'm the
<>CS major).
<>
<
<>On the paint program, FullPaint lists in the catalog for less than MacPaint.
<
<Fullpaint is a good, solid product.  I also find I've never bothered to use
<it since I bought Superpaint, which is the same price and blows it away in
<functionality and toys.  Buy superpaint.

Or GraphicWorks 1.1.  It is an excellent program and no one has been able
to show me a feature in SuperPaint that GraphicWorks doesn't have.  This
month's MacLoser rates them at about a dead heat, with features to GW and
manual to SP.

	    --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
	    ...!cca!ima\
			>-!ism780c!darryl
	    ...!sdcrdcf/
	    The views expressed above are my opinions only.