[comp.sys.mac] Picture files

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (05/18/87)

Can any of you out there recommend any software products that have
that  is relatively inexpensive?  It should have simple pictures that one
might want to use for making posters or flyers.

Please e-mail to me and I will post the list that I compile.  Thank you.

						Jim Collymore

In article <449@atux01.UUCP>, jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:

> Can any of you out there recommend any software products that have
> that  is relatively inexpensive?  It should have simple pictures that one
> might want to use for making posters or flyers.
>
> Please e-mail to me and I will post the list that I compile.  Thank you.
>

> 						Jim Collymore

I forgot to add that such software should run on a Mac SE.

sho@tybalt.caltech.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (08/19/87)

I'm kind of new at the mac so please excuse me if I am being dense.
Is there any reason why PICT files (or any other type of file for that
matter) are not used extensively as a standard way of describing
pictures in the way that files of type TEXT are used for text?
MacPaint could have a Save As PICT option in the same way that
MacWrite has a Save As Text option.  Sure, it would be a picture
containing a bitmap, and would thus not be much different from a
regular MacPaint file (do picture definitions use the same data
compression algorithm that MacPaint uses?) but the philosophy of the
thing would be different.

If such a standard existed, we could have simple Finder functions or
DA's or whatever to display both TEXT files and PICT files and not
feel guilty about being application specific.  I like the idea of
having a graphing program which can store the image of the graph as a
file which can be viewed quickly in the Finder, given to people who do
not own the particular graphing program I use, or perhaps printed by
the use of a simple program.  Etc.

With the risk of getting off the subject, someone said that having a
Finder function to view MacPaint files was unpalatable as it was too
application specific.  I do not find this so, as the System already
includes an fkey which saves the screen as a MacPaint file anyway.

						-Sho
 (sho@tybalt.caltech.edu, sho@caltech.bitnet, ...seismo!cit-vax!tybalt!sho)

"What's wrong with using the word 'etc.' as a sentence?"