[comp.sys.mac] Mac II Sound Mover

batman@apple.UUCP (Ken Laws) (08/05/87)

eaten line?

Hello!

I've got some old resource moving code sitting around, and I was thinking,
"Say, no one's come out with an app that handles Mac II alert sounds yet."

It wouldn't take too long for me to modify this old program of mine so
it would move sounds (and create them from SoundCap), but it would take
long enough to where I don't want to do it if no one is interested.

So, if you own a Mac II and would be interested in such a program, or just
have some thoughts on the subject, send
me mail, or engage in a spirited debate about it on the net (as so often
happens).

Thanks,

Ken Laws

Disclaimer: Apple? I'm just on their bowling team.

harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) (08/08/87)

You bet we (I) would like a Mac II sound mover!

Please e e e e e e  e.

Jeff Harrow

russ@oakhill.UUCP (Russell Schwausch) (08/11/87)

In article <1435@apple.UUCP> batman@apple.UUCP (Ken Laws) writes:
>I've got some old resource moving code sitting around, and I was thinking,
>"Say, no one's come out with an app that handles Mac II alert sounds yet."
>
>It wouldn't take too long for me to modify this old program of mine so
>it would move sounds (and create them from SoundCap)...
>
>Ken Laws

I'm interested in replacing the beep sound on my Mac Plus with one of the
Mac II sounds, specifically the "boing" sound.
Is this possible?
What utilities are needed?
What is the procedure for doing it?

I am sure others are interested in boing (oops) ... doing this too.
Ken, would your code support this?

Thanks.

--
Russell Schwausch, Motorola Inc., OakHill, Tx. (A suburb of Austin)
UUCP: {harvard,ihnp4,seismo,gatech,nbires}..!ut-sally!oakhill!russ

It's a ticket agent, it's a fare collector, no ... it's SUPERCONDUCTOR!!!

batman@apple.UUCP (Ken Laws) (08/16/87)

In article 5168, Russell Schwausch writes...
	"I'm interested in replacing the beep sound
	on my Mac Plus with one of the
	Mac II sounds, specifically the "boing" sound.
	Is this possible?"

Oh, if only it were. The Mac II sound manager hasn't been ported to the
Plus or SE yet. Rumor has it that they will sometime next year (it's very
complex compared to the managers they did port in the last system).

Since the release of HyperCard, everyone and their brother has thrown out
their MPW development system in favor of HyperCard (exagerating? Oh, a tad).
I mean, if you can create applications in hours that used to take weeks,
why bother with MPW? Okay, actually, there is a reason. HyperCard has a
fantastic external procedure capability. You can even execute *ANY* HyperCard
command from your MPW code.

Naturally, I'm going to do my sound mover in HyperCard.

There is a hitch, though. Bill named his sound resources 'snd ', just like
on the Mac II. However, the two types don't seem to be compatible. If you
take the Mac II boing and try to play it in HyperCard, nothing happens. The
same holds true in the opposite direction. Bill said something about 'type 1'
and 'type 2' snd resources, and his were type 2, and type 1's were on their
way out.

I haven't seen a new sound cdev. I haven't seen any new Mac II snd resources
that work in HyperCard. What's going on?

It'd be great if both HyperCard and the II used the same sounds. They don't
at this point. Too bad.

Enough of this.

To summarize: no, you can't use an snd as your alert sound on a Mac Plus.
HyperCard uses snd's, but not the same kind as the II uses.
Next year they may port the Mac II sound manager to the Plus.
HyperCard is the wave of the future (not 4th Dimension).

-Ken Laws

Disclaimer: Apple? I'm just on their bowling team!

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (08/19/87)

There is a sound cdev called "Cheap Beep" that works on the Plus.
It's written by Mark Bennett of Ashton-Tate.  I haven't
used it because my *** hard disk won't boot off my Mac II,
and it needs to set some INIT for boot time.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083

russ@oakhill.UUCP (Russell Schwausch) (08/19/87)

In article <1484@apple.UUCP> batman@apple.UUCP (Ken Laws) writes:
>In article 5168, Russell Schwausch writes...
>	"I'm interested in replacing the beep sound
>	on my Mac Plus with one of the
>	Mac II sounds, specifically the "boing" sound.
>	Is this possible?"
>
>Oh, if only it were. The Mac II sound manager hasn't been ported to the
>Plus or SE yet. Rumor has it that they will sometime next year (it's very
>complex compared to the managers they did port in the last system).
>
>To summarize: no, you can't use an snd as your alert sound on a Mac Plus.
>
>-Ken Laws

I am not up on snd resources and Mac II sound managers. HOWEVER, another
net reader was kind enough to send me a Mac II beepinit that replaces the
obnoxious elevator gong on my Mac Plus when I put the file in my system folder
and reboot. The resulting sound is not quite like the "boing" on a Mac II but
I suspect the cause to be the difference in processor speeds. The sound I get
resembles a harpsicord note toward the lower end of the scale. Anyway, it is
much more pleasant than the original equipment, especially in an office
environment.

I don't know what magic was performed to generate this beepinit but it does
what I wanted. I am also led to believe that I can use resedit to replace the
init resource in this file with other sounds. I haven't tried this yet but I
will post results when I get around to it. Please don't send me any Round
TO-ITs. The exchange ratio for foreign currency to Round TO-ITs coined by my
wife makes yours worth about as much as a peso compared to a dollar! And she
deserves the high rate of exchange for tolerating me and my MacAddiction.

I will let my benefactor decide if he wants to reveal his identity and the
process by which he created the MacII beepinit. I, for one, would like to
know how he did it. He might also be willing to post the beepinit to the net.
It is really short so the size is no problem for comp.sys.mac.

Excuse me. I seem to be out of breath. Just didn't want to mislead anyone or
have anyone misled by the other posting.