[comp.sys.mac] SuperMac or Mac II color boards

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (08/19/87)

   Ok Mac people. Here's a chance to enlighten another person into the joys
of macness.

   My father has a Hp300 series machine at home. He uses this to run HP-BASIC
and MS-DOS under HP-UX (are you laughing yet?). After many frustrating hours
fighting with the dos-coprocessor, the single-user unix execution shell the
dos board runs under, he said that if he could use his color monitor
 19" sony RGB Part No: GDM-1902-12)  he would buy a Mac II. If only to run
DOS under (he thinks, I know him too well, in two weeks he'll be shredding
5.25 disks, and proclaiming the joys of Finding)

  Now comes the problem: I've tried calling SuperMac and all I've gotten is
promises to call me back (no callbacks though after about 1 Month). Does
anyone have a MacII with a Spectrum video card as well as access to a
Hp320  (Model 9000 series 320) who can test it? Barring this does anyone
have access to the list of monitors the Spectrum board works with?

   Completely seperate point: SM announced a new 24 bit resolution color board.
Does this board have a graphics processor on it or is it just horrendously slow
? (not ness horrendously slow but the idea of moving 3 bytes around everytime
you need to change a pixel makes me shiver). Also shouldn't the Mac II be
FASTER in 256 color mode since it can move a whole byte rather then only setting
the bits in the nybble?

  Pierce Wetter

Where humor is concerned there are no standards -- no one can say what
is good or bad, although you can be sure that everyone will.
		-- John Kenneth Galbraith

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (08/19/87)

The monitor you describe I believe is used as the 19" color monitor
by SuperMac (not their old one) and PCPC, so either video card
should work.

As an aside, I believe it's made in the Sony TV plant here in
San Diego, and OEM'd to the two vendors.

fry@huma1.HARVARD.EDU (David Fry) (08/19/87)

In article <3682@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:
[...]
>   Completely seperate point: SM announced a new 24 bit resolution color board.
>Does this board have a graphics processor on it or is it just horrendously slow
>? (not ness horrendously slow but the idea of moving 3 bytes around everytime
>you need to change a pixel makes me shiver).

	The 24-bit SuperMac board is essentially 3 8-bit boards
(and it takes 3 NuBus slots), rigged so that one board handles
red, one handles green, and one handles blue.  So every time
a new window is plopped on the screen, for instance, three
passes are required to draw it, and this is very noticeable.
So in that respect it is slow.  However, after looking at it
at the Expo I can assure you it is worth the wait!

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138