[comp.sys.mac] FullPaint on an SE

brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) (08/10/87)

     I've got a friend who has FullPaint.  (Version 1.0, I think.) It acts
differently on a Mac-Plus than it does on an SE.  I'm trying to help him debug
it so it will function properly on an SE.
     First, it runs fine, but you don't get to use a crucial part of the
program:  the bottom part of the vertical "Tools" palette that lets you make
the file you're editing take up the whole screen (or the whole screen minus
the menu bar.)  It just doesn't show up in the palette.
     I thought that they're probably just improperly checking ROM versions.
Well, they're definitely checking the ROM versions (with Environs).  I spent
about an hour and concluded that they're really doing something strange.  I
trapped when Environs was called (it's a Pascal-only routine, by the way) and
changed the result to that which would appear on a Plus.  It crashed.  Just to
make sure I wasn't doing something wrong, I also tried to get it to think it
was using 64K ROMs.  That time, it worked fine, but it was still missing the
full-screen options.  Perhaps they call ROM directly if they find out it's a
version $75 (Mac-Plus) ROM...
     Anybody know of a patch?

Brian

lriggins@ssc.afit.arpa (Leonard M. Riggins) (08/11/87)

In article <8708@ut-sally.UUCP> brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) writes:

>     I've got a friend who has FullPaint.  (Version 1.0, I think.) It acts
>differently on a Mac-Plus than it does on an SE.  I'm trying to help him debug
>it so it will function properly on an SE.
>     First, it runs fine, but you don't get to use a crucial part of the
>program:  the bottom part of the vertical "Tools" palette that lets you make
>the file you're editing take up the whole screen (or the whole screen minus
>the menu bar.)  It just doesn't show up in the palette.
>     Anybody know of a patch?
>
>Brian

Sounds like the same symptoms I had...but I took the easy way out and
called Ann Arbor.  There is a new version (1.1) which is fully SE
compatible and even imports text character attributes from the
clipboard.

All anyone has to do is mail in their master disk to Ann Arbor's
California address (it's on the box) and they will return it
quickly...free as usual.

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (08/17/87)

In article <8708@ut-sally.UUCP> brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) writes:
(Talking about FullPaint's global screen format option)

>... I also tried to get it to think it was using 64K ROMs.  That time, it
>worked fine, but it was still missing the full-screen options.

The same behaviour occurs when running on a Mac/XL (Lisa with MacWorks 3.0),
and it is particularly annoying in this case because FullPaint can take full
advantage of the larger screen.

>     Anybody know of a patch?

If you find one, please post it - I am sure there are many fellow victims.

--
Robert Stanley           Compuserve: 76174,3024        Cognos Incorporated
 uucp: decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!roberts        3755 Riverside Drive

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (08/19/87)

I don't have a patch for it, but as near as I can tell they are using the wrong
test after their call to Environs in that they seem to be assuming that the
screen is the wrong size (i.e. a Lisa/XL or something similar).  Since they do
what Atkinson does in MacPaint (and is the reason neither works worth diddly
on the II) and draw directly to the screen, they need to know where it is.  They
did not bargain on ROMs other than the 128Ks and 64Ks, so assume everything else
is alien.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
--------------------------
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed above are mine, all mine!  I don't know if my
employer even has opinions, much less what they might be.

lriggins@ssc.afit.arpa (Leonard M. Riggins) (08/20/87)

In article <1253@cognos.UUCP> roberts@cognos.UUCP (Robert Stanley) writes:
>In article <8708@ut-sally.UUCP> brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) writes:
>(Talking about FullPaint's global screen format option)
>
>>... I also tried to get it to think it was using 64K ROMs.  That time, it
>>worked fine, but it was still missing the full-screen options.
>
>The same behaviour occurs when running on a Mac/XL (Lisa with MacWorks 3.0),
>and it is particularly annoying in this case because FullPaint can take full
>advantage of the larger screen.
>
>>     Anybody know of a patch?
>

>If you find one, please post it - I am sure there are many fellow victims.

I'm new on the net and tried to follow up Brian's article before. I
guess it didn't make it.  Here goes again.

Ann Arbor released version 1.1 of Fullpaint for the SE.  It is available
free (as usual from AA) to registered owners.  All one has to do is mail
their master program disk to AA's California address (it's on the box)
with a note requesting the update for the SE.  They will mail back the
updated disk pronto.

Will someone please acknowledge that this article made it on the net?
Thanks.

--
Leonard "Maurice" Riggins