[comp.sys.mac] Fall Announcments: Macintosh Books

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (08/17/87)

Every six months, Publisher's Weekly has a special jumbo issue chock full of
advertisements by all the publishers pushing the major books of the next six
months (460 pages worth, this time!). I've waded through them, and parsed
out the books I think are of interest to folks.  My apologies in advance for
typing errors, errors of omission, etc.

A few notes: first, some titles aren't pushed in the ads or other material
in PW. Second, not all publishers mark their genre books (or mark them
incorrectly -- Asimov, for instance is a mainstream author as far as
Doubleday is concerned. Because of this, I'm sure I missed stuff either
because I didn't recognize the title, the author, or because the publisher
didn't mention it.

Also, dates vary by publisher. Generally, hardcovers show up in the month
shown as a published date (or slightly before). Paperbacks show up the
latter half of the month before. Schedules are subject to change without
notice of course, and books will be late or cancelled at the whim of the
publisher. I can name at least six books announced for the Macintosh six
months ago that disappeared without a trace, excluding the ones on DBase Mac
(which ALSO disappeared without a trace, taking the books with it). Some
publishers are less rigorous with their schedules than others:
Donning/Starblaze, for instance, should be trusted only after a book hits
the stores.

This edition of the announcements is rushed, since I want to get it out
before I split for worldcon.  So if things are out of order or typoed, I
hope you understand. It was sloppy or a month late.  Hope this is of use to
you folks!

This listing brought to you courtesy of Fictional Reality, Ultd, publishers
of OtherRealms, the bleeding fingers of Chuq Von Rospach, and Publisher's
Weekly, collator of 460 pages of tiny type and author's pictures.

Unless otherwise noted, books are paperbacks.

[comments in swquare brackets are by me.]

Fall Announcements -- Macintosh/Computer

[the Mac book industry seems to have collapsed on itself a bit -- this list
is about half the size of the Spring list, but don't feel bad -- a good
chunk of the spring list turned into vaporware [at least three books on
Word, one on Ready Set Go, a bunch on pagemaker and random other stuff
simply never showed as far as I can tell: on top of the books on dBase and
other vaporware products. Probably for the best.

Desktop publishing has eased off significantly, although there are too many
"best thing since slived bread" books out already. It looks like the next
place for lemming publishing and vaporbooks is OS/2, which is fine by me.

Pricing is edging up in techincal/Mac books, to $19.95 for a standard trade
paperback. Some books hit the $21.95 of $24.95 mark as well, with hardcovers
higher. My guess is that most new books will be at $21.95 within a year.
Sigh.]

                            Addison-Wesley

                     The Apple Techincal Library

Desiging Cards and Drivers for the Macintosh II and Macintosh SE. Apple
Computer, Inc. September, #24.95 hardback

Techincal Introduction to the Macintosh Family. Apple Computer, Inc. October,
$19.95 trade paperback

Macintosh Family Hardware Reference. Apple computer, Inc. October,
$24.95 hardcover

Programmers Introduction to the Macintosh Family, Apple computer, Inc.
November, $24.95 hardcover

Inside Macintosh, Volume V. Apple computer, Inc. Devember, $26.95
paperback.

Macintosh Programming Secrets, Scott Knaster, October, $24.95. [this book is
probably a must buy]

                               Bantam

Programming with Macintosh Programmers Workshop. Joel W. West. $29.95 trade
paperback, September. [this name sounds vaguely familiar]

How to get the most out of compuserve, third edition. charles Bowen & David
Peyton. $19.95 trade paperback, October.

The Offical Print Shop Handbook: Ideas, tips and Designs for the Home,
School and Professional Use. Randi Benton and Mary Schenk Balcer. $16.95
trade paperback, November.

                           Crown Publishing

Free (and Almost Free) Software for the Macintosh. Robert Eckhard. $19.95
trade paperback, August. diLithium press book.

                           Dow Jones-Irwin

Desktop Publishing, Macintosh Edition. Frederic Davis& John BArry. $24.95,
October.

Newsletter publishing with Pagemaker, Macintosh Edition. Frederic Davis and
John Barry, $24.95, January.

                      Harcourt Brace Jovanovich

The Well Connected Macintosh. Tony Bove and Cheryl Rodes. "Forward by John
Scully" $11.95, November.

                           Microsoft Press

The Apple Macintosh Book, 3rd Edition. Cary Lu. $21.95. January.

[Microsoft books seems to have completely forgotten the Mac again. sigh. I'm
still waiting for a decent in-depth book on word 3.0x -- the manuals don't
count, since they're basically unreadable.]

                         Brady Computer Books

Turbo Pascal for the Mac. Paul Goodman and Alan Zeldin. $19.95, November.

Encyclopedia Mac Rom. Keith Mathews and Jay Friedland. $29.95, january.

Word 3.0 on the Mac: A guide to power and performance. Tim Knight. $19.95
trade paper, January [is this the power Word book I'm looking for?]

Working with dBase Mac: Mastering the Database Environment. Rusel DeMaria &
George Fontaine. $19.95, February [if, of course, dBase Mac really exists by
then....]

                      Howard W. Sams & Company.

DBase Mac Programmer's Reference Guide. Edward C. Jones. $19.95. [it must be
fun to spend a year writing a book for a product that refuses to ship...]

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

We live and learn, but not the wiser grow -- John Pomfret (1667-1703)

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (08/19/87)

The Bantam catalog did not list 'The Complete HyperCard Handbook'
by Danny Goodman, since it was hush-hush until last week.  However
they sold like hotcakes at the show, unlike a certain MPW
book, which is still vaporware for a month or two...

There was another HyperCard book at the show, but I don't recall
the publisher.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083

mendozag@pur-ee.UUCP (Grado) (08/20/87)

>Fall Announcements -- Macintosh/Computer
>
>[the Mac book industry seems to have collapsed on itself a bit -- this list

>Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

  Is Volume 3 of MacIntosh Revealed out yet?
  Any details? (Table of Contents, price, etc)

   Victor M Grado
   mendozag@ecn.purdue.edu

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (08/20/87)

>  Is Volume 3 of MacIntosh Revealed out yet?
>  Any details? (Table of Contents, price, etc)

I've never even heard a rumor of volume 3.  Volumes 1 & 2, however, have
both been re-issued in new editions to cover all the new information (I
haven't looked at them yet, though).  What was volume 3 supposed to be?

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

We live and learn, but not the wiser grow -- John Pomfret (1667-1703)

woody@tybalt.caltech.edu (William Edward Woody) (08/21/87)

Volume 3 of Inside Macintosh is a chapter on the Finder interface
(you know, the BNDL, FREF, and such resources), a chapter on the Mac
hardware (cables, IWM, serial junk, keyboard cable) for the old Mac
(you know, the Mac 128K, the Mac 512K and the Mac 512Ke), and the
rest of the volume consisted of the chapter summaries of the other
two volumes (I and II).

I suppose it'd not be too difficult to re-issue a second edition of
volume 3; it's just a matter of getting all the updated summaries
together.  And it'd be nice to see such a volume released; it makes
a good reference guide.  But sometimes I don't think it (the first
edition of volume 3) was worth the $19.95 I paid for as it's too
easy to thumb through volume 1, 2, and 4.
    - William Edward Woody                      Mac >> IBM && /|\ && ][n

_____UNTIL 1 SEPTEMBER 1987_____           ______AFTER 1 SEPTEMBER 1987_____
    woody@tybalt.caltech.edu                       Net Address Unknown
    woody@juliet.caltech.edu                    (I hope I get net access!)

        1-54 Lloyd House                            8038 N. Mariposa
        Pasadena, CA 93710                          Fresno, CA 93710

mendozag@pur-ee.UUCP (08/23/87)

In article <3702@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> woody@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (William Edward Woody) writes:

>Volume 3 of Inside Macintosh is a chapter on the Finder interface
> ... summary...

 I posted an inquiry about Volume 3 of Macintosh REVEALED and it is
 mentioned in Vols. 1 & 2 of the same series. Especially, I am
 interested in what the author has to say about the List Manager.

  Victor M Grado
  pur-ee!mendozag