[comp.sys.mac] Hypercard - How About New Mac Owner

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (08/19/87)

Why is Apple charging the $50 in the first place?  I can't imagine they
are going to make lots of money from it.  It's far more than distribution
cost.  Is it to give dealerships a profit on the thing?  Or is it to give
an incentive to people to buy macs (they're getting something for free)?
It sure isn't good PR--rightly or wrongly, most of us have come to expect
to get operating system upgrades from Apple for free, and having to pay
for this one hurts a little.

And will these things be posted on the BBS?  If not, what happens when
Multifinder 1.1 comes out?  Another $50?
----
Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (08/21/87)

In article <174400045@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Why is Apple charging the $50 in the first place?  I can't imagine they
>are going to make lots of money from it.  It's far more than distribution
>cost.  Is it to give dealerships a profit on the thing?  Or is it to give
>an incentive to people to buy macs (they're getting something for free)?
>It sure isn't good PR--rightly or wrongly, most of us have come to expect
>to get operating system upgrades from Apple for free, and having to pay
>for this one hurts a little.
>
>And will these things be posted on the BBS?  If not, what happens when
>Multifinder 1.1 comes out?  Another $50?
>----

   Dealers HATE free upgrades. While often if the dealer knows you he will
give you the upgrade for free, having random people walk in and demand a new
whatever is severly annoying. As for getting upgrades for free, the only
difference between now and then is dealers won't have to provide it. If you
think about it, Switcher has never been provided 'Free' rather you could
get it from CompuServer or a user group or you could buy the switcher construction
kit from apple for 25$. I expect the 50$ includes the price of the manual
and the disks. If you don't want to pay the 50$ you will probably be able
to get it from a user group or compuserver. Maybe, even UseNet.

  Pierce Wetter
:x

Information Center, n.:
	A room staffed by professional computer people whose job it is
to tell you why you cannot have the information you require.

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (08/21/87)

>Why is Apple charging the $50 in the first place?  I can't imagine they
>are going to make lots of money from it.  It's far more than distribution
>cost.

Are you so sure? Subtract, off the top, 40% ($20) for distributor and dealer
profits.

Subtract from that the cost of the disks (4 @ say, $1.00 each), labels,
the manual (figure, raw cost from the printer about $3 or so), the box it is
sold in, the shrinkwrap, etc. etc. etc. Lets use a raw material cost of
$10.00, which seems like a nice round number.

so, we've already found 60% of that $50, and we haven't:

	o paid for the equiptment used to duplicate the floppies.
	o paid for the person who runs the equiptment who duplicates the
		floppies.
	o paid for the people who box, shrinkwrap, inventory or ship
		the thing.
	o paid for shipping.
	o paid for the people who wrote the software and manuals in the
		first place.

Apple will probably make money on the thing.  Not much, and probably much
less per copy than the dealer does.  However, and I see this as a BIG
however, the programs will be available at the distributors -- remember all
the fun folks have every time one of Apple's free upgrades goes out to
dealers and we all go looking for one that will admit to having it?

And for folks who don't want pretty manuals and want to download it or get
it from a user group, they're welcome to it. Personally, I think it's a
steal.

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

We live and learn, but not the wiser grow -- John Pomfret (1667-1703)

klein%gravity@Sun.COM (Mike Klein) (08/21/87)

In article <174400045@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> Why is Apple charging the $50 in the first place?  I can't imagine they
> are going to make lots of money from it.  It's far more than distribution
> cost.  Is it to give dealerships a profit on the thing?  Or is it to give
> an incentive to people to buy macs (they're getting something for free)?
> It sure isn't good PR--rightly or wrongly, most of us have come to expect
> to get operating system upgrades from Apple for free, and having to pay
> for this one hurts a little.

Think about Apple's costs.  First, 4 disks, maybe $4.00.  A manual, which as
I've heard sounds like about 200 pages, nicely printed (as it should be),
maybe $10.00.  A box, packing, shrinkwrap, labor to put it all together,
maybe $2.00.  Now, overhead costs: inventory, shipping, allowance for
defective (or returned) merchandise, $3.00.  That adds up to $19.00.  A very
reasonable dealer markup so that they are motivated to carry it (and take up
shelf space, add to their overhead, etc.) brings it up to maybe $40.00 for
the suggested retail price; discounters can offer it for less.  Now all these
numbers are approximate, of course, but the point is that the price is
eminently reasonable and the above numbers *do not* include any profit for
Apple, or a charge for support.  An unidentified Apple executive was
quoted in a newspaper article I read as saying that Apple's price (to
dealers) does not cover their costs.

Dealers *must* make a profit, or they simply won't carry it.  The dealers,
unlike Apple, have no long term advantage in foregoing the profit on this
product.  Apple's reasoning is that it will sell a lot more Macs and offering
it at the lowest reasonable cost will sell the most Macs.

I am personally applauding Apple's move on providing HyperCard and
MultiFinder for $49 each.  Great work!
--
Mike Klein		klein@Sun.COM
Sun Microsystems, Inc.	{ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!sun!klein

woody@tybalt.caltech.edu (William Edward Woody) (08/21/87)

Er, uh, wasn't the $50 to cover "cost?" and that HyperCard was going
to be available on all the better BBS?  Or is it that I'm just
dense?
    - William Edward Woody                      Mac >> IBM && /|\ && ][n

_____UNTIL 1 SEPTEMBER 1987_____           ______AFTER 1 SEPTEMBER 1987_____
    woody@tybalt.caltech.edu                       Net Address Unknown
    woody@juliet.caltech.edu                    (I hope I get net access!)

        1-54 Lloyd House                            8038 N. Mariposa
        Pasadena, CA 93710                          Fresno, CA 93710

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (08/21/87)

In article <174400045@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>are going to make lots of money from it.

Having researched these issues in setting the price for Colorizer
(whcih also happens to be $50 :-)), I'd like to point out a few things
that you might have missed:
  1. Suppose you are willing to donate R&D, marketing, etc. for the
     product.  Apple can't afford to do this very often, but let's
     assume they decide to do so for a strategic product (not necessarily
     a good assumption, but...)
  2. A bound manual, printed will run roughly $2-$5, depending on the
     quality, quantity printed, etc.  If it's a very thick manual
     (like the HyperCard manual) you might add another $2.
  3. Disks in massive quantities are no less than $1.  Four disks
     is $4.  Labelling and duplication is another 25 cents, say,
     so call it $5.
  4.  Box?  You want a box?  Another 50 cents or so.  Shrink wrap?
     A dime, maybe?  (I don't do Apple's quantities so my estimates
     are better for thousands than 100's of thousands).  We're up
     to $10 -- without returning a penny for the effort it cost
     to develop, test or document it.
  5. Oh yeah, I forgot.  Suppose you write a check for $49.95 to
     your local dealer.  Does Apple see $49.95?  No.  Do they see
     $29.95?  No.  It depends somewhat on the distribution channel,
     but generally the publisher sees less than half of the end cost.

At the same time, if the cost is too low, the profit for the dealer
is too low, and it's not worth their labor to sell it.

In article <3699@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:
>    Dealers HATE free upgrades. While often if the dealer knows you he will
> give you the upgrade for free, having random people walk in and demand a new
> whatever is severly annoying. As for getting upgrades for free, the only
> difference between now and then is dealers won't have to provide it.

Actually, this is one reason why Finder 6.0 is available free on
CompuServe and User Group disks, AND you can buy it from your
local dealer.  Dealers don't want to provide it free, and having
worked for a big company, I know they'd just rather pay the $50,
get the new documents and the software without a hassle, rather than
wait to get it through less formal channels.

Also, with dealers now selling the new upgrades, maybe corporate
users will get them promptly.  As it is, if you weren't tapped
into the magazines, or BBS's or user groups, you might not even
know there was a new system.  (One place I know is still using
Finder 1.1g).

kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) (08/21/87)

In article <174400045@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Why is Apple charging the $50 in the first place?  I can't imagine they
>are going to make lots of money from it.  It's far more than distribution
>cost.  Is it to give dealerships a profit on the thing?  Or is it to give
>an incentive to people to buy macs (they're getting something for free)?
>It sure isn't good PR--rightly or wrongly, most of us have come to expect
>to get operating system upgrades from Apple for free, and having to pay
>for this one hurts a little.
>
>And will these things be posted on the BBS?  If not, what happens when
>Multifinder 1.1 comes out?  Another $50?

You obviouxly know what the distribution costs are, for a package like
HyperCard... C'mon grow up. The $49 barely covers the expenses of
disk- and bookreproduction. Never mind 2 or 3 years labour to
make HyperCard.

And may I call it silly that you describe HyperCard as an OS?

"Just checking the walls...." - Basil Fawlty

daveb@geac.UUCP (Brown) (08/21/87)

In article <174400045@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Why is Apple charging the $50 in the first place?  I can't imagine they
>are going to make lots of money from it.  It's far more than distribution
>cost.

  Well, when I was on the Ability(tm) project, several people asked the
same question.  Often with a scornful tone of voice.
  The answer was "overhead".
  A back-of-the-envelope calculation showed that sending out an
upgrade was 1/3 as expensive as sending out the whole package
originally, mostly due to burning up the secretarys' and shippers'
time validating, finding, packing and mailing quantity-one packages.
Seems we had quite a good efficiency-of-scale when sending large
shipments to distributors/dealers.
--
 David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor|yetti|utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  Computer Science loses its

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (08/21/87)

in article <174400045@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu>, dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu says:
> Nf-ID: #R:mtunj.ATT.COM:36:uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:174400045:000:736
> Nf-From: uxc.cso.uiuc.edu!dorner    Aug 19 09:05:00 1987
>

> Why is Apple charging the $50 in the first place?  I can't imagine they
> are going to make lots of money from it.  It's far more than distribution
> cost.  Is it to give dealerships a profit on the thing?  Or is it to give
> an incentive to people to buy macs (they're getting something for free)?
> It sure isn't good PR--rightly or wrongly, most of us have come to expect
> to get operating system upgrades from Apple for free, and having to pay
> for this one hurts a little.
>
> And will these things be posted on the BBS?  If not, what happens when
> Multifinder 1.1 comes out?  Another $50?
> ----

The $50 is closer to costs than you might think.  Hypercard comes on 4 - 800K
disks and includes a manual.  And I do think dealers ought to get a small
cut.

As for on line services - would you really want to spend the time and money
to download over 3 Meg of stuff?

The same is true for MultiFinder.  It consumes more than a single 800K disk and
includes a manual.  That's why it's going to cost another $50.

C'mon folks.  We get MacWrite, MacPaint, MacDraw, etc. upgrades for free,
endlessly.  I'm a Mac owner from the first 90 days; I paid $900 to go from
128K to 512K.  I paid $495 for a 400K external drive.   I figure that I had a
legitimate grip then, but grumbling over $50 for a four disk plus manual set
seems a bit much.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
seismo!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop

bc@apple.UUCP (bill coderre) (08/21/87)

Sorry to flame, but please, folks!

Why $50?

You say, "It's far more than distribution costs?" Oh, how do you
know?  What do you think they are? Let's talk several hundred pages
of manual, in typical Apple style. Four disks (over 2 Megabytes of
data), nice high quality disks. Good looking box. Shipping and sales
support. Shrink wrap! A new icon of Bill Atkinson! (grin)

Seriously:
Dealers cannot afford to sell anything that they don't make money on.
Computer retail doesn't work on the "supermarket" margin. Every item
has to pay for itself. The volume isn't big enough. Yet.

Consider:
How much will it cost you to download 2 Megabytes from your favorite
BBS? (That does not include electronic copies of the paper manual.)

Answer:
You're right! Apple is not going to make much money on this. Except in
new Macintosh sales. And for those lucky people, they get it free.

I intend to buy a copy of Hypercard just so I can have the nice
manuals. I hate the xerox pre-drafts I've been wading through. (No,
even the real employees don't get it free.)

Please, let's not argue "just how much is Apple ripping off the poor,
underprivileged User?" again. We went through ages of that about
Inside Mac.

Let's talk "product value versus product cost". Have you ever seen any
product from any company that gave you so much power for so little
money? (Okay, there are one or two.)

Note:
Microsoft/IBM Presentation Manager/OS-2 developer's kit is $3000.

Apple will be mad at me for flaming you, but please. Consider the
value, not the cost. Software doesn't cost anything. It provides
value..........................................................bc

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (08/21/87)

In article <26161@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Apple will probably make money on the thing.  Not much, and probably much
>less per copy than the dealer does.  However, and I see this as a BIG
>however, the programs will be available at the distributors -- remember all
>the fun folks have every time one of Apple's free upgrades goes out to
>dealers and we all go looking for one that will admit to having it?
>
>And for folks who don't want pretty manuals and want to download it or get
>it from a user group, they're welcome to it. Personally, I think it's a
>steal.

Maybe we should be able to order from MacConnection, just like for every other
piece of Mac software.  :-)  I live in NYC, which means that I'm forced to
deal with Computer Factory (the dealership from hell) whenever new system
software comes out.  These guys are lucky if they know which end of the disk
to stick in the machine, let alone what the most current System/Finder is...

This way I can get Multifinder and Hypercard for $32 each... :-)

- Steve

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (08/24/87)

Since I started this thing, I'd like to finish it.

1.  I was not apple-bashing.  Knowing only what I hear on the net, I was
sincerely interested in hearing why Apple was charging for this.

2.  I was not aware that Hypercard was 4 disks with a manual.  As many of you
pointed out, cost for that has to be about $25 to apple.  I assumed Hypercard
was only going to be a single program.  I'm glad to be corrected.

3.  I did not know that it was going to be posted.  (Downloading
it from Compuserve may not be economical at $12/hr, but downloading from
GEnie at $5/hr definitely is, even if the distribution is 3MB.  (Of
course, I wouldn't get the printed manual.)  My local dealers are so bad
(I once waited at a cash register for fifteen minutes with employees
wandering about the store, not bothereing to wait on me) that I grudge
them the $20 they'd make, so I'll probably download it.

4.  My point was more, "why bother to charge for the thing if you're only
going to charge $50?", not, "why charge for it at all?".  The consensus
seems to be for the manual and for the dealers, which is reasonable to
me.

I'm sorry if people took my message as a flame.  It was not.  I
appreciate the way apple has treated its customers.
----